Thread: Dark Canyon Planning

Dark Canyon Planning

Come October I hope to spend at least a week walking around the Dark Canyon Area. Roughly looking at a loop from Sundance, up Dark Canyon to Trail, into Fable, towards Bowdie, and then back towards the mouth of Dark and back to the car at Sundance. So I've done some research, I know of the route detailed in SA's book from Dark to Bowdie. I have seen plenty of info from Scott P that tells me to stay below the confluence of Bowdie. I know that you can exit Fable on the Hayduke trail heading west towards Bowdie. Are there routes into Bowdie from the North? Is there anyway to exit Gypsum near the Colorado, or link gypsum along the river to Palmer and then out? Can you enter Fable canyon near Sweet Alice Spring? Is there camping near Sweet Alice Spring? And of course I would appreciate any other info from you guys. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Been all the way down Fable to the Colorado from Sweet Alice, nothing you can't scramble down. Stay on the left (facing down canyon) going by Gypsum Falls. We rafted from Gypsum to the mouth of Bowdie so I don't know if you can get across on land....looked pretty rough from what I remember. Came all the way up Bowdie from the Colorado on the right fork (facing up canyon). Did a trip and went down the other fork all the way in a later trip. This fork has some major pouroffs, but you can scramble around them. Really good ruins in Bowdie Cyn and Fable Valley as a exceptional ruin. Rumor has it of a decent ruin in Palmer above the pouroff, but we didn't check it out. Good water at the Fable spr, then scattered to river. Bowdie has a good water to the pool below the Kivas, then scattered up canyon for a ways, top part is dry.

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember if it looked like you could get out of Gypsum (lower Fable) on the left LDC down nearish the river? Is Sweet Alice a reliable spring? Also, does any one have any recommendations for camping or water in Dark canyon from Trail Canyon down?

Roughly looking at a loop from Sundance, up Dark Canyon to Trail, into Fable, towards Bowdie, and then back towards the mouth of Dark and back to the car at Sundance.
    To me it doesn't make much sense to start the above trip at the Sundance Trail. You would be much better off starting somewhere like the head of Trail Canyon or anywhere on the north side of Dark. Out of curiosity, what would be your reasoning of starting the hike above at the Sundance Trail?

Are there routes into Bowdie from the North?
    There are routes in Bowdie on the north side just below the confluence of the two forks, but map reading and route finding skills are needed.

Is there anyway to exit Gypsum near the Colorado
    There are on the north side. I'm not sure about the south.

or link gypsum along the river to Palmer and then out?
    Getting up or down Palmer without ropes would be extremely difficult.

Can you enter Fable canyon near Sweet Alice Spring?
    Yes, but it's easier to come in via a good trail in the southern fork a couple miles down from Sweet Alice Spring. There isn't much to see above that fork anyway.

Is there camping near Sweet Alice Spring?
    Yes, but there may be cows around (at least in the past; not sure about current grazing allotments).
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Scott, thanks for the info. I want to start at Sundance because it seems like the easiest access point to drive to. Can't say I am a big fan of long dirt road drives. And just curious, any other reasons to start at Trail canyon other than not having to deal with the drop in and climb out at Sundance?

And just curious, any other reasons to start at Trail canyon other than not having to deal with the drop in and climb out at Sundance?
    Since the Sweet Alice Road is a good one, it gives the advantage of hiking Dark/Bowdie or Gypsum as seperate hikes. Bowdie/Gypsum makes a nice combination, but combining all three from the Sundance doesn't make as much sense (to me at least) since you will be road walking on good roads with a heavy pack for much of that distance. To me, it's better to spend more time exploring the canyons (and all three of them are some of the best in the world) than walking good gravel roads up on the flat lands. Plus, if you only have one week, it wouldn't be enough time to explore all three from the Sundance Trail.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Canyon pretty high in Gypsum by river, don't think you can get out south. Sweet Alice spr has water....Fable Spr better. Go down the road past Sweet Alice Spr, old road, now a trail past a old corral all the way into Fable Valley and meets with Gypsum Cyn.