Thread: TR: Kolob Canyon, 9/8/2011

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

TR: Kolob Canyon, 9/8/2011

Went down Kolob yesterday with Kev, Carol, Heather and Dan.

Had to make a coffee stop going out of town, so we were a little behind schedule. Left the West Rim trailhead at 8:30 am, first rap at 10:00 am.

They are releasing "none" this week until Saturday Morning, when they turn it up to 3.5 cfs. We thought it was running about 1/2 cfs at the first rap and through the technical section. Bolts/anchors were in good shape, with new bolts I had not seen, but my last Kolob trip was a few years prior. So, a little bit of splishy-splashy, but not much. The water was clear and cold. Not a whole lot of sun in there this time of year, just enough to warm up now and then.

It took us 3 hours through the raps, and then - man, is that slog down to the MIA exit LONG! We were, of course, slowed by having a 100-year-old dude along (that's me ), arriving at the MIA Exit marker rocks at about 5 pm. Up to the road in an hour and a half, back to the car about an hour later as the sun was setting.

A fun time. Thanks gang. Thanks especially to Carol and Heather for carrying that rope up the MIA - you go Girls! Good to get me out of the old-canyoneer's home once in a while, though Nurse Cratchett gave me a load of crap for sneaking out. No Matlock for me for a week!

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for the update. I gotta get back there. It has been years since I was in Kolob.
    Life is Good