Thread: College Education is the largest scam in U.S. History

College Education is the largest scam in U.S. History

Interesting, LONG video.

Whatcha think? What was your degree in? Is it relevant to your job? Was it required for your job?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My degree was in 'mining engineering' and it is definitely relevant and required for my job. I don't have an hour to kill watching the video. Anybody have the Cliff's notes?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

It is an interesting video. I actually tend to agree with the video. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, I use my degree every day and I am glad I have a college education. My income, which is not high, is not necessarily higher than it would have been without college but my job satisfaction is.

I unlike the picture painted by the video graduated with no student debt. If I would have had to go into 100's of thousands of dollars of debt to go to college I would not have taken that on. I can't imagine graduating with $200,000 of debt unless I was going to be a doctor or dentist.

I was a bit annoyed by the push for gold and silver purchasing. I don't know why everyone thinks that you will always be able to buy food and other goods with gold or silver. If the bleak picture this video paints occurs I don't think anything but food will be traded for food.
    So, Kid, you think you got what it takes to be a Punch King?

hmm... seems a little one sided to me. I'm usually against free money, but I have little pity for a person who racks up 300k in school debt trying to land a 80k/year job. Some responsibility has to be put on the students themselves. But yeah he is totally right that spamming money to anyone who wants it, without checking grades, pursuit of degree, is really stupid. Getting the government out of it would be a wise move. Even as a libertarian though, I appreciate giving a low interest loan to a student to help them out with schooling. If there was a way to regulate who got the money, and not everyone and their grandma, I think it could be fixed. It was a smart move changing the law so you can't bankrupt out of it.

Very interesting video though and well worth the watch. I really enjoyed it.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchKing View Post
    If I would have had to go into 100's of thousands of dollars of debt to go to college I would not have taken that on. I can't imagine graduating with $200,000 of debt unless I was going to be a doctor or dentist.

YES!!

I had some debt after I graduated - but it was only 4 digits, and paid off easily.

Sounds like the video has an agenda...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I admit I did not watch the video so my comments may no be relevant.

When I went to college (1980) a year of school cost $3,000 (tuition, room/board) and I started at HP making $30,000/year as a manufacturing engineer--so I made 10x what a year of college cost. One of our sons is going to a state university to be a mechanical engineer (same as old dad) and a year of school costs $17,000. He sure as hell isn't going to make 10X ($170,000) when he gets out. Probably more like $60,000-$70,000. So now, 25 years later the ratio of a year of school to an engineers paycheck is 4X at best. Crappy deal.

My youngest sister finished school with $200,000 of debt but she is also a doctor and started at $180,000 so that's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by agostinone View Post
    I admit I did not watch the video so my comments may no be relevant.

When I went to college (1980) a year of school cost $3,000 (tuition, room/board) and I started at HP making $30,000/year as a manufacturing engineer--so I made 10x what a year of college cost. One of our sons is going to a state university to be a mechanical engineer (same as old dad) and a year of school costs $17,000. He sure as hell isn't going to make 10X ($170,000) when he gets out. Probably more like $60,000-$70,000. So now, 25 years later the ratio of a year of school to an engineers paycheck is 4X at best. Crappy deal.

My youngest sister finished school with $200,000 of debt but she is also a doctor and started at $180,000 so that's not so bad.
    No, that's pretty much the whole point of the video, good comments!

It's about how people graduate from college and can never pay off their debt. but you hear the numbers they spit out and you realize they are retarded at math and should have never embarked on the journey in the first place. For some people, it is better to just start off in the workforce instead of getting a "useless" degree. I actually know a chick who has a master's and work at Starbucks. Pretty funny.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.