Thread: Mount Nebo North vs Deseret Peak

Mount Nebo North vs Deseret Peak

Hey everyone, I just moved out to Utah from Michigan a few weeks ago. I consider myself to be a intermediate hiker, but by Utah standards, I'm probably novice. I'm also not in the best shape in the world. I have hiked 15+ mile days up in Michigan, but as you can imagine the terrain is nothing like out here in Utah.

Yesterday, I solo hiked Nebo North to bag my first major peak. To be honest, that trail kicked my ass, but determination beat out exhaustion and fear and I made it to the summit, and back down just before the rain hit.

Now that you have a little background, my question is how does the Deseret Peak summit trail compare to the Nebo North Summit trail? Since I have only hiked Nebo, I want to use that as a baseline. Is Deseret harder/easier more or less scrambling etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hoffam19 View Post
    Hey everyone, I just moved out to Utah from Michigan a few weeks ago. I consider myself to be a intermediate hiker, but by Utah standards, I'm probably novice. I'm also not in the best shape in the world. I have hiked 15+ mile days up in Michigan, but as you can imagine the terrain is nothing like out here in Utah.

Yesterday, I solo hiked Nebo North to bag my first major peak. To be honest, that trail kicked my ass, but determination beat out exhaustion and fear and I made it to the summit, and back down just before the rain hit.

Now that you have a little background, my question is how does the Deseret Peak summit trail compare to the Nebo North Summit trail? Since I have only hiked Nebo, I want to use that as a baseline. Is Deseret harder/easier more or less scrambling etc.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Des peak has almost no scrambling and I would say that if you bagged Nebo North you should be fine.. I would suggest doing the Loop instead of the out and back just because out and backs suck If you go on a day I am available and want company I would be happy to go with ya :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about doing Deseret next saturday or sunday depending on how my knee feels. I took a digger on a backpacking trip this spring and did some cartilage damage. The pain started coming back on the Nebo descent... I've been hiking solo because I'm really slow right now, out of shape, bad knee, and not used to the elevation... it took me 7.5 hours to do Nebo round trip and there were parts of it where I wanted to just give up and hated myself for going on...

I've done both and will confirm what DOSS says.
    RP