Thread: Late October in Southern Utah 3-4 days

Late October in Southern Utah 3-4 days

I've been reading a lot of the trip reports on this site, but I was hoping I could get some advice on an early fall trip. It will be my first time in southern Utah, and damnit this place is so beautiful I can't make up my mind where to go. I hear that the narrows in Zion are closed off in the fall so I was thinking about just doing Bryce canyon, but what I really need is some advice from the experts.

Here's what I'm looking for: 3-4 day hike, isolation, 20-30 miles, breathtaking views (I guess that's a given). If you could only do one hike, in the fall, which one would it be?

I am considering doing the Under-the-Rim trail in Bryce from Bryce Point to Rainbow Point, but mostly because it fits my criteria of length and isolation.

I'd love to go around my birthday, which is October 22nd.

Thanks for the help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In my mind one of the real problems of southern Utah in the fall is that many of the really good hikes are in places where camp fires are not allowed and not appropriate. That makes for some really long nights when it is dark by 7:00 and no campfire to sit around. Look at Grand Gulch ( check with the rangers regarding water supply but should be OK this year). Death Hollow is still on my list but should be great in October. Coyote Gulch can be stretched into a 3 day hike if you take your time and explore side canyons etc. It is a magical place.

Quote Originally Posted by kvolk View Post
    In my mind one of the real problems of southern Utah in the fall is that many of the really good hikes are in places where camp fires are not allowed and not appropriate. That makes for some really long nights when it is dark by 7:00 and no campfire to sit around. Look at Grand Gulch ( check with the rangers regarding water supply but should be OK this year). Death Hollow is still on my list but should be great in October. Coyote Gulch can be stretched into a 3 day hike if you take your time and explore side canyons etc. It is a magical place.
    Wow, those all look great. During October would there be a lot of standing water I would need to traverse in Coyote Gulch? If so, do I need any kind of special gear other than waterproof boots? I'm from NY so we don't have a lot of canyons around here.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MedioGringo View Post
    I hear that the narrows in Zion are closed off in the fall so I was thinking about just doing Bryce canyon, but what I really need is some advice from the experts.
    you have heard wrong. the narrows is closed only when the flow is higher than 120cfs. the only time that happens is when there is a flood or spring melt off. spring is usually the only time there is significant flow for a constant closure.

you may need a drysuit or a thick wetsuit to hike the river in.

In CoyotemGulch you would be hiking a good share of the way in the stream even in October. Itq will seldom be deeper than ankle deep. No need for water proof boots-just dry socks for camp. Your feet are going to get wet unless you have some gortex boots and you are very careful. It will be cool/cold at night