Thread: Kermsuh Lake- High Uintas Wilderness- September 2011

Kermsuh Lake- High Uintas Wilderness- September 2011

For the past two years, we have owned Cuberant Basin for Labor Day Weekend. But since we have had a shortened season due to the late snow melt, we decided to hit somewhere new that we had never been. We weighed the options and decided that Kermsuh would be our outing for the holiday weekend. We departed Saturday and arrived just after 9 am. We hit the Christmas Meadows trail and pushed a very fast pace to the junction to Amethyst Basin. A short break, then we pushed on. This part of the trail is very beautiful and we saw lots of Elk on the way in. After a bit, we found ourselves sitting at the junction for Kermsuh. It is crazy, the tree that the sign was on had been totally scorched by lightning. We took a snack break, then moved on. Heading into the basin you have to cross a stream that is too deep to walk through, and no one wanted trench foot, but it had a log you could cross. To say crossing this single log bridge was sketchy is an understatement. I did not want my D90 to go in the drink, so this was a bit precarious. But we all made it and headed up the switchbacks. This section really reminded me of the Wasatch, because it was steep and a hell of a workout. About 2/3 of the way up, we got a side view of a canyon that the drainage flows out of, and it was holding some of the biggest trees I have ever seen in the Uintas. We pushed on, and finally made it to the part where it sort of levels off. A nice walk in the woods, and you come to a stream crossing and a huge meadow. You kind of loose the trail here for a minute, but it is easy to pick it right back up after you cross the stream. Then it begins to climb again, which once again reminds me of the Wasatch. Finally we hit the final meadow which was beautiful, and up the inlet to Kermsuh Lake. One word- WOW! This basin is pristine to say the least, and it is so picturesque. We decided because of a huge granite feature that was right off of camp to pitch shop on the south side with a full view of A-1 Peak. We pulled out our goods, got shop pitched and we were all fishing right away. And they are active up there! It seemed for a time, we all kind of forgot what time it was, and realized that we needed to get dinner going and a nice fire. It was a brisk night, but we had a half moon rise over Hayden Peak, and it was giving some cool reflected light. I did some night photography, and then we were all bushed and decided to turn in. Morning brought the sun a bit later then any of us expected, as we all slept in a bit longer than we planned. Coffee, then fishing was on! Chris was nailing brookies in the inlet, and I got a few cuttys right off shore from camp. Afternoon came and we decided to go scout the water marked on the map in the cirque above Kermsuh. It was a nice hike, and very scenic. But alas no hidden fishing gem, but the view was spectacular! We were sitting right at the base of the shoots on the backside of Hayden Peak. It was awesome to be up there, and you could really see how far you had come up here. We spent quite a bit of time up here, enjoying the view, the warm sun, and good friends. Evening time found us back at camp fishing for dinner. Brookies ended up being the main course, and we all had a ton to eat! I did some more night photography, and we had some tunes by the fire off the Ipod Shuffle. The next day woke us with a slight drizzle, nothing major, but the sound of the drops hitting my rain fly were really soothing. Then it broke clear. We made breakfast, broke camp and started to head out. Then the storm tried to come in, and from Kermsuh, to the junction, it was cloudy, few drops and lots of wind. Then at the fork it broke again, sunshine all the way out of Christmas Meadows. This was the best trip of the summer. We had only two other groups up there that weekend, and they bounced on Sunday, leaving it all for us to enjoy. The fishing was great, the scenery was exactly what I love when traveling in the wilderness. Kermsuh for sure delivered the goods.
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Leaving.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Awesome looking country up there
    Yeah, was a huge surprise. I had seen other trip reports on Kermsuh, but nothing like what we saw when we were up there. The cirque above Kermsuh below the chutes to the backside of Hayden is amazing! I am still sort of daydreaming on how awesome that place was. Would be a sick winter tour too. We were dreaming of shredding all those chutes via the snowboard.

killer TR, I wanna get up to that lake soon.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Nice Report and Photos. The Uinta's this fall - still lush, green (& wet and boggy in some areas) in the mts., numerous groups/fields of flowers, and riparian areas that normally would have dried up a month ago. But very cool in the eve. FYI, there were at least 5 groups (counting your own) plus an individual, that were camped near/around the lake on Saturday. I've been there myself in the past, in private stillness, but then publicity and notoriety can/does change all of that. The Uinta's: certainly not the Winds. But the drive is much closer and opportunities on and off trail exist, to see some nice country. Peaks, meadows, riparian corridors, woods, lakes, rocky ledges, ridgelines and even mt. goat. Shimmering reflective light, moon, beaming stars and memory of time in the mountains; and lotsa folk dragging fishing gear (and heavy frying pans) up and down "other trails" in search of "pretty slight & skinny fish" (that need an herbal or bug supplement to bulk up)? We didn't cast lines, but got to survey bankside and jumping "fins" in area steams & lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Nice Report and Photos. The Uinta's this fall - still lush, green (& wet and boggy in some areas) in the mts., numerous groups/fields of flowers, and riparian areas that normally would have dried up a month ago. But very cool in the eve. FYI, there were at least 5 groups (counting your own) plus an individual, that were camped near/around the lake on Saturday. I've been there myself in the past, in private stillness, but then publicity and notoriety can/does change all of that. The Uinta's: certainly not the Winds. But the drive is much closer and opportunities on and off trail exist, to see some nice country. Peaks, meadows, riparian corridors, woods, lakes, rocky ledges, ridgelines and even mt. goat. Shimmering reflective light, moon, beaming stars and memory of time in the mountains; and lotsa folk dragging fishing gear (and heavy frying pans) up and down "other trails" in search of "pretty slight & skinny fish" (that need an herbal or bug supplement to bulk up)? We didn't cast lines, but got to survey bankside and jumping "fins" in area steams & lakes.
    Thanks! Yeah, super lush up there this year. There were still new blooms coming out and we are heading to fall. I imagine there are going to be flowers and snow when the white stuff flies.

We saw a solo camper, two couples and us up there on Saturday. They all left on Sunday and we only saw a couple of guys with a young kid hiking out on Monday. But we never saw them at the lake on Sunday. I know we hiked all the way around Kermsuh fishing, if there was anyone else but the three we saw on Monday, they must have been hidden or camped in the meadow below.

New blooms (in the mts) in September. Amazing, and wonderful. Perry primrose on cliffs up high and multi colored petals on some columbine in riparian zones; and fields of yellow daisies galore. Riparian zones were ripe with color and vibrancy.

Not that it matters, for it doesn't. In a collegial way I'll offer; groups at the lake (mostly) kept to themselves and some, were not aware of the other. Most camped on the S, SE side of the lake (3 groups plus one individual) and others found "lodging" on possibly the N or NW portion of the lake? (shall secrets spill?) We briefly spoke with or saw two and four legged (humans and dogs); in the "circle" round the lake there were (at least) 5 "bands" (plus 1 gal) including you/your group.

Next time, if out of the holiday cycle, you, others, may have the place to yourself? Hopefully it stays a "quiet zone" and off the radar from the masses. Really, folk (fisherman/woman) should head to Amethyst or Ryder if launching from Christmas Meadows. Outside of casting lines, some peaks in that zone are serious "lookers" while others draw inquiring cliff scramblers & ridge walkers to some amazing and inspiring views.

And next time up there, some volunteer(s), should dismantle the ubiquitous unused fire rings that pop up with way too much frequency. Really, outside of emergency or serious cold weather, what's the purpose or need for a fire, (romantic broke back mtn desperados or honeymooners on the loose?) and why not leave the dying wood & branches to decay, so they can "feed" the (bugs, plants) forest. In some portions of that (and other lakes) the land where campers had been, looked beaten and barren and void of the ecological diversity the forest thrives on. Leave No Trace. Code talk with many interpretations and incantations. Candy wrappers, charcoal filled pits, broken branches off live trees, cut fishing lines, lures and the smell of dead fish in sparkling (marred) streams. The outdoors, something to conquer or alternatively, a quiet quest to humbly respect and worship the grandiosity of the mtn ecosystem.

New blooms (in the mts) in September. Amazing, and wonderful. Perry primrose on cliffs up high and multi colored petals on some columbine in riparian zones; and fields of yellow daisies galore. Riparian zones were ripe with color and vibrancy.

Not that it matters, for it doesn't. In a collegial way I'll offer; groups at the lake (mostly) kept to themselves and some, were not aware of the other. Most camped on the S, SE side of the lake (3 groups plus one individual) and others found "lodging" on possibly the N or NW portion of the lake? (shall secrets spill?) We briefly spoke with or saw two and four legged (humans and dogs); in the "circle" round the lake there were (at least) 5 "bands" (plus 1 gal) including you/your group.

Next time, if out of the holiday cycle, you, others, may have the place to yourself? Hopefully it stays a "quiet zone" and off the radar from the masses. Really, folk (fisherman/woman) should head to Amethyst or Ryder if launching from Christmas Meadows. Outside of casting lines, some peaks in that zone are serious "lookers" while others draw inquiring cliff scramblers & ridge walkers to some amazing and inspiring views.

And next time up there, some volunteer(s), should dismantle the ubiquitous unused fire rings that pop up with way too much frequency. Really, outside of emergency or serious cold weather, what's the purpose or need for a fire, (romantic broke back mtn desperados or honeymooners on the loose?) and why not leave the dying wood & branches to decay, so they can "feed" the (bugs, plants) forest. In some portions of that (and other lakes) the land where campers had been, looked beaten and barren and void of the ecological diversity the forest thrives on. Leave No Trace. Code talk with many interpretations and incantations. Candy wrappers, charcoal filled pits, broken branches off live trees, cut fishing lines, lures and the smell of dead fish in sparkling (marred) streams. The outdoors, something to conquer or alternatively, a quiet quest to humbly respect and worship the grandiosity of the mtn ecosystem.
    Yes the flora was nice up there this time of year. Far greener than I anticipated it to be.

In regards to the rest of your post, are you insinuating that I have no "right" to be there because I like to fish and have a fire? Are you are saying I have no right to be there because of some standard you think I should live up to?

FYI- We always pack out what we pack in, and have packed out so much horse camper garbage it is ridiculous. I have carried their broken glass for miles out of Red Castle. My impact is surely far less than most people who visit an area. I beg you to go visit our site we camped at over the weekend, or any site we would camp at. You would see our fire was out, there was nothing left behind, all of our trash was hauled out. We always leave it better than we found it, which was a principle that my grandfather taught me when first taking me out to the Uintas back in the early 80's. He had when he was alive hiked that entire range since the 1950's post his tour in WWII. We were safe with our food stash and hung our food out of respect for the other campers and personal safety. You would be hard pressed to find a cleaner, more respectful group than the friends I travel with.

I kind of feel like you are hijacking my thread with opinions which have merit, but are not on topic. This is an outdoor community, and we share our experiences here as a community, and I think that the users on this board are well educated on ethical operation in our wilderness systems. I think if you have the need to have discussions about the above topics that you are bringing up in my thread, you should seek other areas on Bogley to discuss those since I do not see you posting these views in any other users Trip Reports. I would appreciate it if you would keep it on topic while posting in the threads that I begin. Thank you.

Looks like a fun trip. What make/model is that tarp tent in the "Our Camp" picture?
    Let's Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    Looks like a fun trip. What make/model is that tarp tent in the "Our Camp" picture?
    My friend Chris made that shelter. He and Collin our friend make their own shelters. Martini crashes on a blanket under it with him. They stay dry if there is a storm.

Relax Sir. Myself, families, friends, have been visiting the backcountry of the Uintas for decades. And all of us collectively have seen dramatic changes to many of the backcountry zones. Your post/pictures were nice - and I complimented them. Any other commentary had little or nothing to do with your specific venture (and it didn't need to track your trip). For all I know, you are/were more immaculate and clean than myself and any of my partners. And I had NO IDEA who (specifically) did and didn't have fires in that area. Please, my experience & my partners experience does not need to duplicate yours...generally I accept though that all in the W basin and area had a most enjoyable and good time. You offered info and photos re the area. Those I was with were alarmed at all the old fire pits in the area - this is something readers, hopefully can pay attention to...and please don't be so defensive...ubiquitous od fire pits is something "we saw and experienced"...if you didn't, that's fine. Also, as to fires; decades back fires were the prominent "thing" to build in the Winds...but that practice in many popular areas has changed, and I've seen and spoken with some rangers that wish many areas would voluntarily move to become "fire free" in the Uintas. I compliment you for your effort in cleaning up after others...on our hike out, we carried large empty feed bags and containers that hunters (from last season) had left. Also, can't you distinguish one talking about land ethics and ecosystems from specific reference to your group? In past years when there has been a fire hazzard, Forest Service officials have recommended or directed that no fires be built in certain zones. And one last thought. You initiated the post; offered your comments and pictures...but you don't own or direct which way the wind blows after your initial offering and there never has been a rule on this bogely system that responders have to walk in a directional line with the original poster. If you spoke about A, B and C, and I/others about A, B, and D & E, then what does it matter? Don't take it personally, it certainly was NOT intented as a barb at U or your group. I should have mentioned we visited other lakes where bankside or camp area "fish mess" was real prominent. In hindsight I could have been more careful to note that I saw little of it in the zone you reported on. Wonder if you were in the Winds decades back when fires were everywhere, and now, where they are not allowed in some/many zones? That colors my experience and view, and maybe it would yours too? Or maybe not? And (not talking about you or your group), if one can't talk about or address land ethic & practice (in part) in these forums, then just when & where can/should "these topics" be discussed? Or maybe myself & others past/future tense, don't need further "idea churning" or learning? Really? Boundaries (outside of civility) on Bogely? (try the fare on the canyoneering link, and there you'll see the topics/posts, are mostly boundary free. But to be fair, I did not wish to go after you/your group; just bent the discussion and spoke to the "breeze" that happened to blow by (in my/partners mind(s).

Relax Sir. Myself, families, friends, have been visiting the backcountry of the Uintas for decades. And all of us collectively have seen dramatic changes to many of the backcountry zones. Your post/pictures were nice - and I complimented them. Any other commentary had little or nothing to do with your specific venture (and it didn't need to track your trip). For all I know, you are/were more immaculate and clean than myself and any of my partners. And I had NO IDEA who (specifically) did and didn't have fires in that area. Please, my experience & my partners experience does not need to duplicate yours...generally I accept though that all in the W basin and area had a most enjoyable and good time. You offered info and photos re the area. Those I was with were alarmed at all the old fire pits in the area - this is something readers, hopefully can pay attention to...and please don't be so defensive...ubiquitous od fire pits is something "we saw and experienced"...if you didn't, that's fine. Also, as to fires; decades back fires were the prominent "thing" to build in the Winds...but that practice in many popular areas has changed, and I've seen and spoken with some rangers that wish many areas would voluntarily move to become "fire free" in the Uintas. I compliment you for your effort in cleaning up after others...on our hike out, we carried large empty feed bags and containers that hunters (from last season) had left. Also, can't you distinguish one talking about land ethics and ecosystems from specific reference to your group? In past years when there has been a fire hazzard, Forest Service officials have recommended or directed that no fires be built in certain zones. And one last thought. You initiated the post; offered your comments and pictures...but you don't own or direct which way the wind blows after your initial offering and there never has been a rule on this bogely system that responders have to walk in a directional line with the original poster. If you spoke about A, B and C, and I/others about A, B, and D & E, then what does it matter? Don't take it personally, it certainly was NOT intented as a barb at U or your group. I should have mentioned we visited other lakes where bankside or camp area "fish mess" was real prominent. In hindsight I could have been more careful to note that I saw little of it in the zone you reported on. Wonder if you were in the Winds decades back when fires were everywhere, and now, where they are not allowed in some/many zones? That colors my experience and view, and maybe it would yours too? Or maybe not? And (not talking about you or your group), if one can't talk about or address land ethic & practice (in part) in these forums, then just when & where can/should "these topics" be discussed? Or maybe myself & others past/future tense, don't need further "idea churning" or learning? Really? Boundaries (outside of civility) on Bogely? (try the fare on the canyoneering link, and there you'll see the topics/posts, are mostly boundary free. But to be fair, I did not wish to go after you/your group; just bent the discussion and spoke to the "breeze" that happened to blow by (in my/partners mind(s).
    I appreciate the kind words on my photography. I am in school for a photography degree, so those words are very humbling.

The concern I have is that I have a lot of people who view my adventures and none of my trip reports have ever had a post like yours. And to be frank, if you re-read your post, I think you will see the obvious reasons for my concern, as many other trip reports have been put up from last weekend, and your comment was only posted in mine. We do have an environmental discussion section, which this topic would be right at home within the realms of the subject matter you are talking about. And I know I would pipe in as a supporter of such discussions if you began them there. It is important, and awareness is half the battle in wilderness preservation. Some people just do not know or have never been taught how to ethically operate out there. So the topic is great, just maybe not in a trip report IMO.

I share your thoughts on preservation. In Denali, as well as other ranges I have visited, fire is not allowed. And we respect all regulations for the areas we visit and do our part to study up on them so we are in compliance with what the Forest Service is asking of visitors. What chaps my hide is the horse campers who are rude, untidy in bear country in the Uintas, and the mess and disrespect they have for our wilderness systems. What makes you want to break a beer bottle in the middle of pristine wilderness? That has always puzzled me. Our dogs that accompany us get cut pads from this broken glass, all the while these dumb asses do this to look macho while being in a place that is its own system and requires peace and respect? We always use pre-existing fire rings, unless visiting the Ashley National Forest section, which regulations require you to scatter the rocks and not leave fire rings when leaving an area you visit. I absolutely agree with your sentiments. I think Leave No Trace has some good information for individuals that want to visit the backcountry. The reality is that once man visits a place, it is forever changed. I think it is our duty to do our best to have as little impact on the areas we visit when we do venture out there. But to have zero impact would mean me not visiting what is left of our natural world- period. I think that is not reasonable, and without the wilderness I would probably not be interested in photography like I am.

I respect your opinions, and I hope you respect mine. And thanks for responding back with a little more clarification.

Bump for the Trip Report Contest!