Thread: Solo Leprachaun east fork

Solo Leprachaun east fork

Appreciate opinions if practical to do east fork of Leprecahun solo. I have been through in the past but seem to recall several places where staged a meat anchor. I did this canyon with Tom Jones last spring so if he is reading he would have insight as to my skill level or lack of. I will not be offended by straight forward honest answers. I will be in the area for a couple of days Sept 13 - 14. I know being alone is not the best course but that is the way I happen to be traveling this date. I also plan to do Angel Slot. If anyone else will be in the area and would not object I would be honored to join you. Any other suggestions of straight forward canyons that might be OK solo for "beginner/intermediate" ?
    Don Quinn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your in luck see below..... You can sign up on this forum if interested.

"This is a continuation from another post for people that cannot make the Summer Fest or just want to go to somewhere else besides Zion, or just want to do another Fest all together, LOL Was thinking we could go to the North Wash area, or Robbers Roost, or Cedar Mesa areas. What looks good for people, either 13-16 Oct or 9-13 Nov or both. There are lots of canyons in all three areas we can hit. Let's see if we can start planning this one soon. Maybe we can get this posted as a sticky.

The Plan Thus Far::
    When: October 13-16, 2011
    Where: North Wash, Utah (Sandthrax Campground)
    Other Info: I need volunteers to help lead some canyons, we cannot all go to one canyon. We will have a sign-up for the canyons we plan to do, you can then sign-up for which one(s) you would like to do. NO FEES! You will really not need community gear, such as rope, webbing, rapides, but if you want to bring it along fine, but you should have all personnel gear. I would like to have pot luck style dinners, breakfast and lunch (in the canyon) are on your own. We will need people to bring grills/stoves to help out with cooking.

Who:
    -@ststephen
    -@Scopulus
    -@rockgremlin
    -@CarpeyBiggs (maybe)
    -@p40whk (maybe)
    -@IntrepidXJ (maybe)
    -@moab mark (maybe)
    -@optikal
    -@2065toyota
    -@hike.higher (maybe)
    -@Aarjonet (maybe)
    wasatchghost
    tylerhirshfled
    Bshelton
    hikster11
    EvergreenDean
    bretoyce

Leaders/Co-Leaders
    Wasatch
    rockgremlin ?
    CarpeyBiggs ?
    optikal
    Scott P ?
    moab mark ?

14 Oct - LF Blarney (limit 6)
    Wasatch
    New Mexico

14 Oct - RF Blarney (limit 6)
    Wasatch
    New Mexico"

I saw that, but unfortunately I am locked into my September date. I am actually doing a 3 day course with Excursions of Escalante Sept 9 - 11. Then planning to move up to N. Wash area after that for the 13th and 14th. After that returning home (Alabama) on 15th.

There should be nothing in EF of Leprechaun that would cause problems for a beginner/intermediate solo trip. If you are a novice just make certian you are dropping into the correct slot.

Sorry about that Cheops, I read September but my brain processed October! Lol! Here I thought I had your solo issue solved. Good thing YOUR paying attention, I wasn't.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheops View Post
    Appreciate opinions if practical to do east fork of Leprecahun solo. I have been through in the past but seem to recall several places where staged a meat anchor. I did this canyon with Tom Jones last spring so if he is reading he would have insight as to my skill level or lack of. I will not be offended by straight forward honest answers. I will be in the area for a couple of days Sept 13 - 14. I know being alone is not the best course but that is the way I happen to be traveling this date. I also plan to do Angel Slot. If anyone else will be in the area and would not object I would be honored to join you. Any other suggestions of straight forward canyons that might be OK solo for "beginner/intermediate" ?
    Don Quinn
    I think you should do OK, Don, but, there is a good chance other canyoneers would be around in the Sandthrax campsite, and a polite inquiry might get you in with another group - which would be both safer and more fun.

Alternatively, you can go UP main Leprechaun as far as you can or feel like, then come back down the same way.

Tom

I will be camped at Sandthrax for hiking next week on Sept 12-15. East Lep is on the list for one of those days. Come by and talk. We're the big group (10) with all the kids.

Appreciate the input from everyone. I would love to join another group and jwurst I should be at Sandthrax no later than the evening (may be late evening) of Monday 9/12. My course in Escalante ends Sunday afternoon and I may hang around for part of the following day then head for North Wash. I will be in a rental car so will look for you and see if practical to work out something together. I know it would sure make my wife feel better. I very much appreciate the "heads up" and look forward to talking with you.
    Thanks
    Don Quinn

We're not necessarily everything you are looking for. There may be better options. We have 7 newbies, including 5 kids, so we will be moving extraordinarily slow. I'll be too busy managing people to be very social. Joining us might be like being alone in a noisy crowd. At the very least we should be able to coordinate and send you down the same canyon ahead of us so if you don't feel comfortable with something you can wait for help. It may come down to whether you are just looking for a way to ease your wife's worry or if you really feel uncomfortable being alone.

Sounds like an interesting group and should be a terrific adventure for folks doing it for the first time. We can talk when I make it to Santhrax. If I can be of any assistance to you please let me know. Otherwise I can preceed your group down canyon (at my usual slow pace) as you suggested. Doubt I will be back on this site prior to leaving early tomorow AM. Look forward to talking with you at Santhrax.
    Don

ok if experienced canyoneer , not so if beginner or beg.- int. canyoneer...IMO

I did East Fork Lep about this time last year with a couple other experienced dudes. We had some mildly frustrating route finding issues that ate up extra time on the approach. I had a gnarly headcold.

I dont remember being forced to use a meat anchor proper...but there are a couple sketchy anchors which basically consist of piles of rocks on top of a "loose rig" in a small pothole. Technically not a challenge. Technically could do it solo without issues and having minimal gear. When we did it there were 2 short cold swimming sections near the end. I found that it did help to have a pack with a good length of handline attached. I'd leave the pack on a rim and use the handline in a controlled friction slide to get down several 5-10' drops thus avoiding rigs. I'm 6'2" , 210#...medium fitness (ref: can run 1/2 marathon , but not a full, with no "training".

Would I do it solo? Generally not....but just bc of principle. Could I? Yes. I've done many many solo vertical caving trips,etc and have 10 weeks ( 1 week per yr ) of canyoning exp. under my belt.

Would I rec' it to someone I don't know at all? Nope.

If you really must do it solo...please use a tight call -out with a reliable canyon knowledgeable dude. Don't be no fool!

-HH