Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big 12

Big 12

I can't believe none of you are talking about this, particularly the BYU fans.

Texas A&M Leaves Big 12 For SEC
    http://www.tamu.edu/athletics/conferenceChange.html

It's official now. The Aggies have left the Big 12 for the SEC. Expect them to be announced by the SEC next week. I guess they got tired of the BS Texas has been trying to pull.

The big questions now are: Who will be the SEC's 14th team? What happens to the Big 12? Does the PAC 12 get what it really wanted and become the PAC 16 super conference with Texas and Oklahoma?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't think that BYU should join the Big 12 as the rumor mill is predicting. I think they should at least try their hand at independent for a while and see how it goes.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

The Big 12 is unstable to say the least. There would have to be a bunch of guarantees to entice this cougar fan to want to jump ship just yet. Seems everyone is mad at Texas, sounds like Texas and OK would jump ship for a better offer which would leave the big 12 in a big hurt. I, like DiscGo, say hang tight for now.
    Life is Good

From what I understand BYU makes more money being Independent.... (someone please correct me if im wrong) I was explained this by a sports fanatic the other day. They said that the TV contract will make them more money being independent but if they jump in the big 12 they will only make about 75% of that..... Don't know the figures either, sorry.
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Someone explain why its all about money? As a FAN I would rather see them in a solid conference. The Big 12 is much better then being on an island.

Money, money, money , money....

You know, I really like the fact that we go all over the country and play different top tier teams. I like that we have Notre Dame and Texas and Georgia Tech and others already slated. Fun stuff.
    Life is Good

None of the teams you listed are top tier...none of them are even in the top 25. Texas is rebuilding...

Let's not even talk about BYU's home schedule.

Gotta love that big money! I'll be watching tomorrow, but you can bet there will be a better game on when they play suck dog state for 6-7 Saturdays.

I have said before, patience. The scheduling for the first couple of years is rough. It will and is getting better for 2013 and on. I forgot to also list Boise St. and Va Tech added to the future schedules.
    Life is Good

No reason to get super excited about jumping to the Big 12 when there is still a lot in question about who will even be in the Big 12 in seasons to come. If the Big 12 loses Texas, OU, OK St, etc...will it still be all that great to be there? I say stay independent and see how things go. No need to pay any attention to doomsday Ute fans. I'm just glad we no longer share a conference so my run ins with y'all can be fewer now. Enjoy the Pac-12, it's a great conference.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    with a bunch of schools mad at UT you could probably get A&M, OU, OK state, TT, etc to all defect and create a new conference w/ byu and some other schools. probably be good enough to get the big 12 bcs money and spot and leave UT as the only school left in that conference.

I was told yesterday that BYU had the best and "most top of the line" Broadcasting equipment out of every college in the nation. They just signed a deal with ESPN that would just about guarantee them a spot on ESPN (most of the time). And then since they are independent and own such sweet equipment and already have the means to broadcast to the world they will get more coverage than any other sports team in the nation.....

... sounds like a pretty cool idea to stay independent. Make more money, have great coverage, get even more recognized..... Looks like a smart move to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmMatrix View Post
    ... sounds like a pretty cool idea to stay independent. Make more money, have great coverage, get even more recognized..... Looks like a smart move to me.
    You left out playing meaningless games against "who-cares U" during the back end of your schedule. Also, BYU's has almost no path to any major bowl unless they are undefeated. Even one loss has them playing in some backwater toilet bowl.

I would like to see BYU in a major conference, where they can develop rivalries, where late seasons games have real meaning, even if the meaning is spoiling someone elses chance. Where they can play for a conference championship, maybe play in a conference title game, and where a conference championship means a big pay day in a major new years day bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    You left out playing meaningless games against "who-cares U" during the back end of your schedule. Also, BYU's has almost no path to any major bowl unless they are undefeated. Even one loss has them playing in some backwater toilet bowl.

I would like to see BYU in a major conference, where they can develop rivalries, where late seasons games have real meaning, even if the meaning is spoiling someone elses chance. Where they can play for a conference championship, maybe play in a conference title game, and where a conference championship means a big pay day in a major new years day bowl.
    I too would like to see BYU in a power conference. However, I just think there is too much turmoil in the Big 12 right now to make that a good choice. I also think there is a real bias against BYU in the PAC 12 and I doubt that invite will ever come under the current leadership. So the best alternative as I see is right now and in the near future is to be independent.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I too would like to see BYU in a power conference. However, I just think there is too much turmoil in the Big 12 right now to make that a good choice. I also think there is a real bias against BYU in the PAC 12 and I doubt that invite will ever come under the current leadership. So the best alternative as I see is right now and in the near future is to be independent.
    As we have seen... Joining a conference doesn't mean you can't take your ball and go home whenever the mood strikes. So the Big 12 in turmoil doesn't bother me too much. I think the Big 12 would do well to grab BYU and Air Force, both bring a large fan base to the table.

Obviously football and collage sports isn't always just about money..... or BYU with its 65,000 seats and huge national fan base wouldn't be on the outside looking in.

And I think you are right about the PAC 12, they don't want BYU for a number of reasons, some real and some imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Point taken, It makes sense that way, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    None of the teams you listed are top tier.
    NOTRE DAME, and TEXAS, are not top tier?! That might be the most ignorant thing I have ever read. Notre Dame, Hi I'm college football for the last half century have we met? They are the most recognized college football team in the country, the world most likely, Texas is in the same category.

Now are we talking about a down year, or top tier programs? If having a down year strips you of your top tier status then guess what? USC and UCLA are neither one top tier programs anymore. If Notre Dame, and Texas are not top tier, because of down years I guess the Arizona schools can be laughed right out of this conversation.

Texas, and Notre Dame come in at 2 and 3 respectively for all time winningest college football programs. USC is the only PAC 12 member to break the top ten at #10 it would behoove you to do some research regarding college football before posting.

You might also want to examine the top 25 before you tout the yewts schedule. you play exactly one team in the USA today top 25, and you play ZERO that's right ZERO in the AP poll. Get back to me when you actually have something worth bragging about. At this POINT the yewts schedule isn't it, but good job with the PAC 12 talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    You might also want to examine the top 25 before you tout the yewts schedule. you play exactly one team in the USA today top 25, and you play ZERO that's right ZERO in the AP poll. Get back to me when you actually have something worth bragging about. At this POINT the yewts schedule isn't it, but good job with the PAC 12 talking points.

Two questions:

• #1 Show me in this post where I was bragging about the Utes schedule?
    • #2 When was the last time Notre Dame had a decent season? They are washed up and cant seriously be considered a top tier college football program.

I'll answer #2 for you:
    *ND has lost 9 straight bowl games with their last BCS appearance in 2007 when they were crushed by LSU 41-14 in the Sugar Bowl: http://www.uhnd.com/history/bowl-history/

ND Win/Loss

• 2011 0-1 Loss to South Florida
    • 2010 8-5
    • 2009 6-6
    • 2008 6-6
    • 2007 3-8
    • 2006 10-3
    • 2005 9-3
    • 2004 6-6
    • 2003 5-7

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post

Two questions:

• #1 Show me in this post where I was bragging about the Utes schedule?
    • #2 When was the last time Notre Dame had a decent season? They are washed up and cant seriously be considered a top tier college football program.

I'll answer #2 for you:
    *ND has lost 9 straight bowl games with their last BCS appearance in 2007 when they were crushed by LSU 41-14 in the Sugar Bowl: http://www.uhnd.com/history/bowl-history/

ND Win/Loss

• 2011 0-1 Loss to South Florida
    • 2010 8-5
    • 2009 6-6
    • 2008 6-6
    • 2007 3-8
    • 2006 10-3
    • 2005 9-3
    • 2004 6-6
    • 2003 5-7
    The funniest thing is you actually believe that matters. Being a top tier program is more about perception and tradition than almost anything. Yes there is some of what have you done lately.

Or maybe Notre Dame has more access to the BCS than any other school because their a mid major?
    Notre Dame for all intents and purposes is college football.

There's no point continuing to disseminate your post, your entitled to your wrong opinion. Yep Texas and Notre Dame are mid major programs. I'll let anyone out there with any college football I.Q. decide what that makes every other program in the country.

The Ute's did great against Notre Dame last year, bummer your Ute's got destroyed by a lower tier football program like Notre Dame.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum