Thread: Dove Opener

Dove Opener

So today was the opener, right? How'd you folks do? I'm hoping to get out a few times this season, but we'll see.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hit our standard secret spot Thursday morning. Birds go crazy about 8:15 - by 9:45 the game warden was there counting our 60 birds (6 of us with full limits). He noted that it is the only place he knows of that you can still do that kind of shooting. We hit it once a year for the opener - never any crowds!!!

I couldn't find the plug for my Beretta so I took my son's 870... different sight picture, safety in the wrong spot, 5" shorter than mine, swings too fast, and I couldn't get used to the pump again. I shot 3-1/2 boxes of shells to get my birds!!! sucked big time - and my shoulder is nicely bruised... I believe that is a new record for me, some 85 shots, or 8.5 per bird - typically it's more like 2.5 per bird. I did OK at the start and the end but went maybe 0 for 50 through the middle - just over thinking the shot instead of swing and pull. Great day to shoot that much at live targets even if you are missing them!