Thread: Camping between Mt Carmel, UT and Page, AZ ? Any BLM land in the area

Camping between Mt Carmel, UT and Page, AZ ? Any BLM land in the area

Does anyone know of decent camping on the east side of Zion? i'd rather be on BLM land than in a formal campsite, but will take whatever I can find. I have camped at the top of Orderville and it was nice if not out of the way (not doing Orderville this time). this will be a family trip and we are trying to get into The Wave but I am not holding my breath and have other options. Any ideas on decent camping spots in that area?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Today Bo and I were checking out the new trailhead to Peek-a-Boo slot canyon. It's on SR-9, 8.5 miles from the Chevron in Mt. Carmel Jct. 7.5 miles from the city sign to Kanab. There are picnic tables, fire pits and a lot of space there. No shade really though. It's just off the highway. You can camp anywhere on that BLM land area however.

If you have a 4WD you can go deeper on the trail and find a more isolated spot.

Are you going to see the Wahweap hoodoos this trip? You could camp out in the GSENM.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm

I've car camped a few miles down House Rock Valley Rd from rt 89. There are a couple east side tracks that you could turn onto and find a nice spot. You'd then only have a few more miles to get to the Wire Pass TH for a visit to the Wave or to hit the slot to Buckskin.

A few miles further east on 89 to the right is Long Canyon Rd. I've car camped up on West Clark Bench, but not all the way to the TH for Cobra Arch and/or the middle entrance to Buckskin. Would be a nice place to camp at the TH if your vehicle can handle the occasional sandy conditions encountered in the last mile or so on that road.

Have also car camped several times at a fine location at the junction of Cottonwood Wash Rd and Brigham Plains Rd. Now that's about 15 miles north of rt 89, but it would put you in the position of easily accessing trails to Yellow Rock or Hackberry Cyn.

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    It's on SR-9, 8.5 miles from the Chevron in Mt. Carmel Jct. 7.5 miles from the city sign to Kanab. There are picnic tables, fire pits and a lot of space there. No shade really though. It's just off the highway. You can camp anywhere on that BLM land area however.

If you have a 4WD you can go deeper on the trail and find a more isolated spot.

Are you going to see the Wahweap hoodoos this trip? You could camp out in the GSENM.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/wahweap-hoodoos.htm
    thanks for the tip. Sorry if I am a little think, but I am a little confused on which direction from Mt Carmel this spot is. It is on SR-9, not US-89? so is it West of Mt Carmel?

I had forgotten about the hoodoos at Wahweap. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    I've car camped a few miles down House Rock Valley Rd from rt 89. There are a couple east side tracks that you could turn onto and find a nice spot. You'd then only have a few more miles to get to the Wire Pass TH for a visit to the Wave or to hit the slot to Buckskin.

A few miles further east on 89 to the right is Long Canyon Rd. I've car camped up on West Clark Bench, but not all the way to the TH for Cobra Arch and/or the middle entrance to Buckskin. Would be a nice place to camp at the TH if your vehicle can handle the occasional sandy conditions encountered in the last mile or so on that road.

Have also car camped several times at a fine location at the junction of Cottonwood Wash Rd and Brigham Plains Rd. Now that's about 15 miles north of rt 89, but it would put you in the position of easily accessing trails to Yellow Rock or Hackberry Cyn.
    thank you! I am familiar with House Rock Valley Rd and Long Canyon. I will take a look at Cottonwood Wash/Brigham Plains

Bogley BigShot
    Quote Originally Posted by jb56chevy View Post
    thanks for the tip. Sorry if I am a little think, but I am a little confused on which direction from Mt Carmel this spot is. It is on SR-9, not US-89? so is it West of Mt Carmel?

I had forgotten about the hoodoos at Wahweap. Thanks.
    Jeff camps a lot! I would listen to him. I live close so I just get up and drive to places. It's half-way between Mt. Carmel Jct. and Kanab. Every time Bo and I have passed the campsites near the Wave on House Rock Road there has been an open one. There is primitive camping out there too.

I believe I read somewhere recently of someone car camping at the end of the road that goes to the Paria Movie Set and the old Pahreah townsite. Haven't been to that location in quite a few years, but it would be a shorter ride then the Cottonwood Wash rd and would get you to some of the same hiking spots (if you don't mind wading across the Paria) as well as to Starlight Arch/Canyon and the Box trail. Something to consider or at least scout out.

Great advice. Thank you both for the good info.