Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Monsoon

HOLY hell that is amazing!! I watched something similar to this from the zion narrows over the weekend, but I didn't get any shots due to lack of visibility and the rain
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SICK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    WOW! That is an awesome photo. Nat. Geographic worthy.
    X2!

That is wicked cool!

Masterpiece!!!

Wow!!! That is simply amazing! Excellent job , and ditto thanks on sharing the technique with us; Lighting captures are on my "to do" list, but I wasn't sure about the best way to get them.

Where is this, exactly? Based on the Esplanade bench, I know it's on the far west side of the Canyon...north rim, I presume? It looks to be west of Crazy Jug.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Amazing shots!

HDR? Image Overlay? What was the post process you used on this? The dark colors make the strikes look awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    Wow!!! That is simply amazing! Excellent job , and ditto thanks on sharing the technique with us; Lighting captures are on my "to do" list, but I wasn't sure about the best way to get them.

Where is this, exactly? Based on the Esplanade bench, I know it's on the far west side of the Canyon...north rim, I presume? It looks to be west of Crazy Jug.
    I can't disclose ALL my secrets now can I? It is on the North Rim, looking south, towards Flat Iron Butte...

And for those curious in how the composite was made, this is a response I sent to another photographer. Obviously, some people don't think composites represent "reality." I hope no one is fooled into thinking this is a single moment in time captured by one single exposure. It's not. Here's the process -

Hi Jim,

I imagine this won't be the first question I get on how this image was created. I won't attempt to offer much justification as to whether it is "real" or not. However, I would never represent the image as a single exposure, as it is a composite, and where I've published it, I've been sure to say as much.

That said, it is possible this image could've been done with a single piece of film, but it would've been difficult. It would require double exposing a single frame. One exposure in the waning moments of twilight to get the canyon detail, and then a longer exposure once the sky is sufficiently black to not blur the clouds while the lightning strikes. My digital technique was much more simple.

The image is actually part of a time lapse I am shooting for a documentary project in the Grand Canyon. So this particular camera (5D, 20mm 1.8 sigma lens) was locked down on a tripod shooting this exact same scene for perhaps 2 hours, on 10 second intervals, starting before sunset and continuing until the lightning chased us off the rim. We could see the lightning striking well before it got dark with our naked eyes, but only caught a couple of frames of it, until our exposure times lengthened to multiple seconds.

As the sun set, the exposure time lengthened on the camera, and we got more strikes. The base exposure was (off the top of my head) ISO 100, f4, 10". Then, the camera continued shooting at up to 10 second exposures, but once it got dark enough the exposure was simply black, with lightning bolts, i switched to bulb exposures, releasing the shutter after every strike.

The final image is the base exposure, with the frames of just bolts (the rest black) composited in photoshop using the lighten mode. The composite is made in sequence, and the locations of the strikes are exactly as captured.

Whether or not this constitutes "acceptability" is up to the viewers to decide. It is certainly a composite, but one for me that accurately portrays approximately 25 minutes of lightning in a single image.

- Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    When is your next camera clinic in southern Utah? I would like to get registered.
    hahaha. maybe the october bogleyfest we can play around a bit? plenty of good stuff to photograph around there.

Sigh...Digital is better than film. Maybe its time for me to sell the toyo. Perhaps I can get a canon 5D mark II to replace my first generation 5D. That is way more affordable than getting a new lens for the M9. Toys.

Dan, are prints of this image available for purchase? If so, what do you call it?

Ken

HOLY SHISTERS. That is a sweet photo. Good Job
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Dan, are prints of this image available for purchase? If so, what do you call it?
    I'm also curious about this.
    --Cliff

Terrific picture, Dan, thanks for the write up on how you did it. Your camera skills always amaze me.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    I'm also curious about this.
    Hey get in line Jenny and I are one and two on the list for a copy.

As stated over on Yahoo amazing picture.

Bravo.

...And I'm one that likes raw photos without post editing. For this, I don't even care.

Excellent work.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

This image is already the background image on my laptop.

Ken

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Incredible Dan

This picture just showed up on Jerry Coyne's blog (biologist, auther of Why Evolution Is True).
    http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress....comment-136403

Pretty cool.
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
    This picture just showed up on Jerry Coyne's blog (biologist, auther of Why Evolution Is True).
    http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress....comment-136403

Pretty cool.
    +1

While I don't follow Jerry's blog, I am often brought back there by various links. Very cool to see the photo there! Thanks for bringing that, Deb!

Just stumbledupon the image here http://www.keepbusy.net/pic.php?id=2550
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders