Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bogley Fest Nov 10-13 (North Wash Area)

Please do not use the calender to RSVP, as I will not be looking at it. I will pm you to see if you are still interested. All important stuff will be on the first page.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    What is Marmite, Bovril?

John
    Axle-grease with a taste of Heaven. (If you grew up with it..)

ok, I guess.

Unsolicited advice from Iceaxe....

Important! There is no cost for Bogley fest trips, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
    Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Some routes are wet, and some are dry... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a wetsuit is required. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
    http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: Several folks need to bring ropes.

Excellent advise Iceaxe

If you attend these types of events with the goal of meeting fun people, making friendships and descending exciting slots, you will have a great experience. If you are attending these types of events for the reason of ticking specific slots off your to-do list you should probably alter your plans to a private trip you organize yourself.

As a normal rule at these type gatherings.... any plans for who does what routes with whom completely disappears the first morning. I've probably attend 10 or 20 over the years, and organized 6 or 7, and that has always been the case. If I can get my schedule in order I hope to attend this fest, but I am not the organizer.

Anyhoo.... Groups tend to form by who wants to do what canyons, skill levels, friendships, and somewhat on age because those near the same age tend to have the same interests. After the first day most people join a route for the second day based on friendships they have made the first day or around the nightly campfire.

The main item an organizer has to watch out for and protect against is making sure all the talent (skilled canyoneers) don't join into one group and leave the other groups short of talent. When I have organized these type of events in the past I've just asked the talent to spread themselves out and that has been all the actual planning required.

As a general rule everyone gets to descend most of the slots they desire, provided others have the same desire.

I hope no one takes offense to the unsolicited advise, I've just been involved in enough of these rodeos to know what to expect and hope my experience will make yours more enjoyable.

Yeah, to me I really do not care which canyons I do. I just set these two fests up to introduce the Zion/Moab type canyoneers to some other kinds of canyons out there, hopefully this is working out. I liked the way Tom used to do his fest's, everything was well set-up, you knew which canyons you signed up for on which days, great leadership, lot's of fun. It's not really working out that well for me. I cannot get people to commit. So, it looks kinda like a free for all, something like the ACA does, and I do not like that. I also have the feeling these two fests might be in the middle kinda way,

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Yeah, to me I really do not care which canyons I do. I just set these two fests up to introduce the Zion/Moab type canyoneers to some other kinds of canyons out there, hopefully this is working out. I liked the way Tom used to do his fest's, everything was well set-up, you knew which canyons you signed up for on which days, great leadership, lot's of fun. It's not really working out that well for me. I cannot get people to commit. So, it looks kinda like a free for all, something like the ACA does, and I do not like that. I also have the feeling these two fests might be in the middle kinda way,
    Wasatch,

When I organized the Moab fest I was beating my head against the wall trying to organize groups etc. I took Shane's advice and just had them all meet in a parking lot. We divvied up the talent combined them with the rest and headed out. Worked great, everyone had a great time and Ill I had to do was line up Resturants. I would keep it simple and just roll with the punches. Now you just got to find some good Resturants near the North Wash and Robbers Roost. We ate well.

I'm looking forward to getting out. I had two October trips planned but some international business trips nuked my plans.

I'm coming from Colorado Springs, Colorado and so I'll be driving by one of my favorite mountain destinations, Fruita. I'm going to bring my bike so if anyone wants to hit the single track before/after the canyons let me know.

First page updated.

Is anybody interested in keeping this Fest going and taking over the planning and logistics from John? I'd be happy to help out. Lets' see what kind of interest there still is. Who's going or thinking of going?

I'm still interested, but a noob. I have at least one friend that I could probably talk into coming. I won't be able to get away before Friday morning.

since I missed the roost I still wanna go !!!!!

i am going to plan on being around for this one....

My days off (right now) are Nov 6-10, so unless I get some more time off I'll only be there the first day. But I'm planning on being there right now.

Also, you might update the first page/post to represent the event better.

If someone will start a new thread and keep the first post updated myself or one of the other moderators will lock this one. Starting a new thread makes you responsible for keeping the thread information current, it does not make you responsible for the Bogley-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If someone will start a new thread and keep the first post updated myself or one of the other moderators will lock this one. Starting a new thread makes you responsible for keeping the thread information current, it does not make you responsible for the Bogley-fest.
    What, no takers? I was really looking forward to maybe attending my first bogley-fest...

I've missed why this is "cancelled" (unlesss the weather forecast is that bad! )

However, I'm happy to take on the reins as Iceaxe suggests.

I'm coming over from England for this, so I'd hate to see it fall at this late date. I'm relatively inexperienced at canyoneering (compared with exalted company herein), but I can shirley find the time to keep up a thread. I guess I have the most to lose, so here I am.

I'll start a new thread. If John (Wasatch) or Shane will PM me the original post, I'm happy to do the organising. The original post is here. )

Mods, can you remove the "DELETED" moniker of the original post on that thread?

Rob

the original post has been edited by wasatch so i'm not sure we can actually retrieve it. if you start your own thread, you'll have the ability to edit all the information in the first post.