Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Overdue Bogleyites in Kolob

TO TOM

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I'm sorry. I made the assumption that youse guys could figure out how long it would take you to get saddled up. Guess I was wrong. My apologies.

I have no attachment to when you start. I have attachment to you not getting SAR called out because you're lame.

Tom
    Tom- We are so lucky to have an egotistical know- it- all like you to give us your unsolicited advice. However, considering you were not with us in Kolob canyon I choose to take your random rantings as just that, pathetic ramblings of an old man. Yes, I agree we should have started earlier. I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by alpine butterfly View Post
    Tom- We are so lucky to have an egotistical know- it- all like you to give us your unsolicited advice. However, considering you were not with us in Kolob canyon I choose to take your random rantings as just that, pathetic ramblings of an old man. Yes, I agree we should have started earlier. I’ll own that put it in my pocket and never make that mistake again. However, we still would have been fine to get in and out of the canyon that same evening, considering we had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with route finding or the MIA, had we not had an unfortunate knee injury. In actuality I am proud of how we dealt with an unseen complication. I’d like you to try dragging a hurt knee through miles of slippery river rock. It takes time and RedPB was a trooper. So regardless of a late start we still would never have made it out of that canyon that evening. It was unfortunate that the rangers had to get involved and they were awesome about the whole situation. This is the first and only time any of us have ever had an unplanned overnight bivvy, we may not have done as many canyons as you, but then again were not 100 years old. I’m so sorry that your majesty has to put up with all the little people out here and guess what??? Were coming back for more. We loved Kolob, it rocked, we can’t wait to do it again. This time we’ll make a few minor changes. Earlier start time and no injuries. Done.
    Hmmm...Bogley might not be the best place to post if you are looking to explain dumb decisions and avoid unsolicited advice. The two minor changes, avoid injury and start earlier. One might have to do with group dynamics. Has this member of your group ever been injured with you before? Just something to think about. Oh, throw the 'SPOT' away too.

k

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Tom- We are so lucky to have an egotistical know-it-all like you to give us your unsolicited advice.
    Thank you for the personal message.

Posted on Bogley = a solicitation of advice.

If you READ what I am saying, you will find that I have no problem with your start time. Perhaps you are conflating other people's posts with my own. The ONLY thing I have a problem with is the consequential claim on your permit that YOU guys made that you would get out that evening. An unrealistic expectation. A conspicuously unrealistic expectation, that resulted in SAR being called out, a little bit.

May I suggest NOT focusing on your hurt feelings. Taking responsibility for the small mistake you guys made in filling out your permit, and apologizing for having SAR called out - these small statements are all we are looking for.

And, yes, I HAVE dragged TWO non-functional knees through miles of rocky riverbed, on several occasions. My knees did not work for two years, but they do now, thank you. When you are 100 years old, you too will have a vast depth of life-experiences to draw from.

I doubt you would have made it out the MIA that evening, but we will never know, will we? Probably not worth debating.

My own only night out in a canyon was partly a result of a broken ankle - not mine, and marginally stable. But the real reason we spent the night out was not the broken ankle, but because we were stupid.

Tom

I'm confused why I need to apologize on Bogley about not filling out our permit for "overnight" and for having SAR called out. We spoke directly with these guys on Sunday afternoon. We apologized directly to them, we don't owe you anything...........

And I respect that you have "a vast depth of life-experience to draw from," however, it would be nice if you could use that knowledge in a positive way instead of repeatedly beating people to death with it.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I'm confused why I need to apologize on Bogley about not filling out our permit for "overnight" and for having SAR called out. We spoke directly with these guys on Sunday afternoon. We apologized directly to them, we don't owe you anything...........

And I respect that you have "a vast depth of life-experience to draw from," however, it would be nice if you could use that knowledge in a positive way instead of repeatedly beating people to death with it.
    Sweet Butterfly -

Have you actually read the thread... because you seem to have missed a few key points.

Tom

This thread is a fine example of why arm chair quarterbacks should not start drinking before noon.

From my extremely limited canyoneering experience I would put the Kolob Non-SAR in the shit happens category.

This thread is locked until further notice.