Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overdue Bogleyites in Kolob

Overdue Bogleyites in Kolob

Hey guys. A few of my in-laws went down to do Kolob on Saturday and they haven't checked in yet. The last we heard of them is at about 2:45 yesterday we got a spot message from in the canyon. It looked like it was near the start.

I talked to some Rangers and the Zion dispatch and I think the plan is to send a Ranger up to check and see if their vehicle is still at the TH.

I tried to look up the flow for Kolob res and can't find anything. Anyone have any recent beta on flow, etc.

This is their first time through Kolob. When I was talking to one of the rangers he asked if I knew a couple of other people. Their names weren't familiar but they were also overdue in the same "area."

I didn't go with them because my wife just had our first boy a few days ago. I didn't even ask if I could go

Anyone want to do Kolob? haha. Does anyone have canyonman's signal spotlight?

Edit: I forgot to mention the members are Chabidiah, his wife-Alpine Butterfly, Redpb, and Boots

UPDATE: A Ranger is parked at the vehicles waiting to see if they come in. If they haven't then they will send a helicopter at 3 PM to fly over the area.
    The man thong is wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Oh no bro. I'm sure everything will be fine though. Please keep us updated!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Hey guys. A few of my in-laws went down to do Kolob on Saturday and they haven't checked in yet. The last we heard of them is at about 2:45 yesterday we got a spot message from in the canyon. It looked like it was near the start.

I talked to some Rangers and the Zion dispatch and I think the plan is to send a Ranger up to check and see if their vehicle is still at the TH.

I tried to look up the flow for Kolob res and can't find anything. Anyone have any recent beta on flow, etc.

This is their first time through Kolob. When I was talking to one of the rangers he asked if I knew a couple of other people. Their names weren't familiar but they were also overdue in the same "area."

I didn't go with them because my wife just had our first boy a few days ago. I didn't even ask if I could go

Anyone want to do Kolob? haha. Does anyone have canyonman's signal spotlight?

Edit: I forgot to mention the members are Chabidiah, his wife-Alpine Butterfly, Redpb, and Boots

UPDATE: A Ranger is parked at the vehicles waiting to see if they come in. If they haven't then they will send a helicopter at 3 PM to fly over the area.
    Heavy thunderstorms in the area last night.

You are leaving a lot out. Single-day Kolob out MIA on Saturday? Obviously being near the start of the difficulties at 2:45 pm would indicate they chose not to go.

Flow from Kolob dam is at 3cfs or less (though last time I talked to them was 2 weeks ago). So water levels should be "reasonable".

Have they been up the MIA before?

Hope it all turns out OK.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Heavy thunderstorms in the area last night.

You are leaving a lot out. Single-day Kolob out MIA on Saturday?
    Tom
    I was worried about the weather. I saw the weather report last night and it got me worried.

They were planning on Kolob in a day out the MIA. They have never done the MIA before.

I got the spot email at about 2:45 PM. I don't know if SPOT messages are relayed quickly or not. That is just when I got the last message in my email.

The ranger said that their car was at the trailhead.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    Oh no bro. I'm sure everything will be fine though. Please keep us updated!
    For sure. I wouldn't be worried about it except I didn't give him my magical bottle of sunlight!
    The man thong is wrong.

Bogley BigShot
    Bo is in New Mexico this weekend. He should be back in the AM. He usually has some info. Are they back yet?

haven't heard from them yet
    The man thong is wrong.

Hope everything works out. Lots of people have trouble with the MIA exit. Had some friends take a wrong turn there and get stuck overnight once. Hope they turn up soon
    - Gavin

Just got a SPOT "ok" message. Looks like they are at the top of the MIA exit. YEAH!
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    Hope everything works out. Lots of people have trouble with the MIA exit. Had some friends take a wrong turn there and get stuck overnight once. Hope they turn up soon
    Yeah, that was me. It's easy to get lost in there if you don't know where you're going. I'm glad they made it out safe!
    --Cliff

Bogley BigShot
    YAY!

They are so lucky. On the east side of Zion we just got crazy hard rain! Flood time again!

Two parties (reportedly) entered Kolob (technical) Saturday. Park Service reported that no (known) groups went through Sunday. Park Service permit records showed BOTH as "day" permits and NOT as over-nite. Sunday noonish I got a call from a ranger inquiring re Group A that started out early Sat morning and that was "overdue". The ranger also stated that another group (B) that began later in the afternoon, was reportedly in the canyon and "overdue." At 2-3 pm Sunday, officials were "talking about" sending in a chopper. I spoke with one of the 3 adults (from group A) at approx 3pm Sunday, while at Lava Point CG. The "leader" of that group of 3 swears that "they" asked for and obtained an "overnite" permit and NOT a day permit. (In their minds they were NOT overdue). Group B, may have been the same, or not? Asked for an overnite and were issued only a day permit? Park Officials, for a number of hours were concerned. I spoke with the command ranger again at 3:15 pm and he reminded me that many groups, going down Oak, Boundary or Kolob (for the first time) will often miss the MIA exit. And he wondered who slipped up on the permits, day vs overnite - Park people or miscommunicating public? No question, that for a few hours, there was serious, honest concern (and drama -my term) on the Park side of things.

I got a report Friday afternoon (from a party in group A) that in spite of the water running from the Rez, under the road and down the "falls",(3-5cfs) there was only a minor flow at the intial (first rap area) zone where folk drop in. BUT THEN it reportedly rained hard for hours Fri nite at Lava Point and so conditions Saturday likely changed, or maybe not?

Anway, an interesting Sunday afternoon... Nervous "service" with the Park Service "conducting", anxious Bogleyites in the "crowd", and two independent groups in their own redrock quest, (part of the congregation but missing) exiting the "demons and bowels" of Kolob. Final grace was offered when the "holy" spot from on high showed group B, near their final destination. Services concluded (and all retreated home (thank goodness), worn but reportedly safe. Group A claims two "spots" (We're OK) were sent (Sat and Sun) but those "holy hymns from on high" never arrived and were never heard (by targeted participants). Kolob, a territory with it's own set of ever changing circumstances and reputation.

I am sure that it is possible to miss the MIA exit, fatigue etc. However, it was super obvious to us when we cruised by a couple of weeks ago doing Boundry. Hopefully everyone will be out safely and we will hear from these parties. Its big country back there.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    haven't heard from them yet
    I heard from Trent this afternoon. They're out but had to spend the night half way up the MIA. I was supposed to go but had to work. Too bad, I love Kolob.

I'll never forget our first trip up MIA. We didn't have to spend the night but we wondered around in the dark quite a bit. Classic mistake of going to high on the left as you ascend. I think we got back to the car around 2 in the morning.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I heard from Trent this afternoon. They're out but had to spend the night half way up the MIA.
    Reminds me of the todo outlined in a Kelsey book a couple years ago under the title "Don't Blame ME!"

Seems like Kelsey said Adventure X makes for a long day, so be sure to get an early start. Posse Y got an early start, had a few difficulties and spent the night in the canyon, rescue was called out, etc. They were very upset, and looking for someone other than the people in their shoes to blame. Must be the GUIDEBOOK AUTHOR'S FAULT. Well maybe not, Posse Y's idea of an early start was leaving Salt Lake around 8 am. That's Early!!

So, now that all seems to be well, folks out of the canyon and all, let me say: WTF!!! Starting the Canyon at 2:45? Maybe if y'all were real experienced, had done it a few times before, were quick and sharp on the ropes, knew the MIA pretty well... In other words, WTF??? Would youse guyz get your act together! You're making canyoneers look bad!!!

What were you thinking? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

Tom

The guys I know went in around 8:30, they texted me at 7:28 Saturday morning saying they finally had gotten their permits....Fooking permit system. So it must have been another group that went in that afternoon.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    In other words, WTF??? Would youse guyz get your act together! You're making canyoneers look bad!!!

What were you thinking? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

Tom
    Tom

Well stated. Glad they're well. Guess someone forgot to tell them that when we state Alpine start we are talking AM not PM!!!

Ken

Ok, first of all...thank you every one for your concerns!

Now for the first hand story:

We received our permit at 7:15 Saturday morning and then hit up ZAC to get our dry suits and went up to Kolob creek to visually check the flow of the water. Then we headed straight to the TH. We entered the canyon in the morning, sent a spot not long after and apparently it took hours to get to Jaxx.

Shortly after entering the canyon Redpb suffered a minor knee injury which caused us to slow our pace considerably. It began to get dark and we knew it wouldn't be smart to try the MIA for the first time at night. We set up camp for the night just shy of MIA. We had a pleasant night, with no problems.

Early in the morning we took off and headed up that "WONDERFUL" MIA climb. With a hurt knee, it took us a lot longer than normal. We had been sending OK spot messages throughout the entire trip but none were received until we got to the top of the MIA. We never plan on staying the night but we always go prepared. Overall we absolutely loved Kolob Canyon.
    Apparently, shouting "remix" when someone with a stutter talks is frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Ok, first of all...thank you everyone for your concerns!

Now for the first hand story:

We received our permit at 7:15 Saturday morning and then hit up ZAC to get our dry suits and went up to Kolob creek to visually check the flow of the water. Then we headed straight to the TH. We entered the canyon in the morning, sent a spot not long after and apparently it took hours to get to Jaxx.

Shortly after entering the canyon Redpb suffered a minor knee injury which caused us to slow our pace considerably. It began to get dark and we knew it wouldn't be smart to try the MIA for the first time at night. We set up camp for the night just shy of MIA. We had a pleasant night, with no problems.

Early in the morning we took off and headed up that "WONDERFUL" MIA climb. With a hurt knee, it took us a lot longer than normal. We had been sending OK spot messages throughout the entire trip but none were received until we got to the top of the MIA. We never plan on staying the night but we always go prepared. Overall we absolutely loved Kolob Canyon.
    Thank you. Excellent, sounds like y'all acted responsibly. Looks like it was me who went off prematurely

Huh! Seems like the timestamp on the Spot messages would be rather important.

Tom

Who said there are two types of canyoneers: Those who have had an unplanned overnight bivouac and those who will have an unplanned overnight bivouac?

Ken