Thread: Which new fork?

Which new fork?

Trying to decide which fork to put on my 29'er. I've narrowed it down to three choices.

• The Manitou Tower Pro 100mm - $389
    • The Reba RLT 100mm - $423
    • The Recon Gold 100mm - $338

The Reba is the most expensive but is also adjustable from 80-120mm. It also comes with a shock pump, and seems to be the most tuneable.

I've heard only good things about the Manitou Tower Pro, however it seems to be less of a fork for about the same money. However most people over on MTBR seem to think its a burlier fork and less prone to problems since it's simpler. Also I've read that I'll need a stiffer fork for the manitou, which looks to cost another $20.

The Recon is a basic solo-air fork and one of the reasons I'm considering it is it seems to be the best, set it and forget about type fork. However it is certainly the least bang for the buck.

From my research the REBA seems to have the best XC, small bump compliance but at the sacrifice of being too complex. There are alot of people that seem to never be able to get it dialed in.

I'm riding nearly all XC, lots of rocks and rolling track with a few 6-10" drops and bigger rocks. I figure any of these forks will be a vast improvement over my current Suntour XCM.

So what do you guys think? Any experience with any of these forks? Maybe one I'm not looking at and should be?
    Thanks.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have a Reba set at 120mm. It has been awesome thus far. I don't have any experience with the other two, so it's not too helpful in that regard.

are you going with a through axle on the fork to stiffen it up or just running oversized flanges on the 29 er rim?

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Check this one out:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=7&search=

This is a couple years old, but if it is in good shape it would be perfect for you. I would think if it is still available, you should probably be able to get it for $200 or so. Maybe worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Check this one out:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...lpid=7&search=

This is a couple years old, but if it is in good shape it would be perfect for you. I would think if it is still available, you should probably be able to get it for $200 or so. Maybe worth a shot.
    I've been watching a few used ones on ebay and other locations but I'm pretty sure I just want to drop the extra coin and get a new one with now issues. So you've not had any problems with your reba? There are lots of horror stories and quite a few had to fix this or that. I'm not sure if that's because they do so much volume or because its prone to issues.

Whereas the manitou seems to be mostly well regarded.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I've been watching a few used ones on ebay and other locations but I'm pretty sure I just want to drop the extra coin and get a new one with now issues. So you've not had any problems with your reba? There are lots of horror stories and quite a few had to fix this or that. I'm not sure if that's because they do so much volume or because its prone to issues.

Whereas the manitou seems to be mostly well regarded.
    I have always thought that the Reba has been fairly bullet proof by reputation. Perhaps I need to do more research . I have had no trouble with mine. I bought it used for a pretty good deal, and then replaced all the seals / oil myself. I also removed the travel spacers to extend the travel from 80mm to 120mm. So far so good.

Just to muddy the water, my buddy has a Manitou 29er fork that he is in love with........

I'm certainly leaning towards the manitou. Over on MTBR everyone raves about its ease of set-up and bombproof damper.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

pull the trigger, cant go wrong in my opinion, I am sure you will find some pros and cons with all of them but it seems they are pretty well matched up.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Managed to score a new Reba RLT for $360. So I hopped on it. Now I have a new Raceface crank, x9 rear der and shifter and a new cassette to put on. Stoked! Now I have to figure out how to get this smancy fork dialed in.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Finally got around to cutting the new fork last night. I was very surprised to see the weight difference. The old Suntour fork was 5lbs and 15oz. the new Reba RLT is 3lbs and 13 oz. So a loss of just over 2lbs while going from an 80mm fork to a 100mm(or even 120mm) fork. The weight is excruciatingly apparent when holding one fork in one hand and the other in the other hand. Can't wait to see how noticeable it is on the bike.
    Name:  forks..jpg
Views: 3324
Size:  81.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!