Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyoneering - The Book

Grand Canyoneering - The Book

Grand Canyoneering:
    Exploring the Rugged Gorges and Secret Slots of the Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon is considered one of the seven wonders of the natural world. It possesses one of the most visually powerful landscapes on the planet, with expansive vistas, airy heights, plunging depths, towering pinnacles, sheer-walled buttes, spires, mesas, temples, and the vast, multihued, labyrinthine topography. But within the deepest corners of the main Canyon itself, hidden away from the casual observer, are seldom-visited, smaller tributary canyons that exhibit stunning beauty, intimacy and opportunity for adventure.

This guidebook is somewhat different from others in that the trips require the user to apply skills from the varied disciplines of backpacking, climbing, orienteering, rafting and technical canyoneering. The upside is that those willing to expand their skill set will find that previously inaccessible areas of the Canyon will become open to exploration. A packraft removes the impenetrable barrier presented by the Colorado River. Rope allows the descent of routes not otherwise possible for the non-technical hiker. Orienteering allows hikers to explore off-trail routes in the backcountry. As a result, this book should appeal to backpackers who wish to put together new loops and routes using a packraft, rafters who’d like to perform some canyon descents as part of their river trip, canyoneers who are looking for remote multi-day expeditions and more!

This comprehensive guide includes:
    • Descriptions of over 100 canyons rated by technical and physical difficulty
    • Detailed first-hand descriptions supplemented by maps, photos, and GPS coordinates
    • Essential equipment information
    • Locations of water sources
    • Natural History facts and low-impact canyoneering techniques
    The trips described in this book will guide the reader on some of the most beautiful and remote backcountry adventures to be found within the Grand Canyon.

Order your book here:
    http://www.toddshikingguide.com/GrandCanyoneering/

Price $29.95
    Shipping $6.00

Name:  CoverFinal1..jpg
Views: 746
Size:  52.3 KB Name:  CoverFinal2..jpg
Views: 764
Size:  53.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome!
    - Gavin

Blog Entries
    Is this THEE book that Dan has been referring to these past couple of months?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Is this THEE book that Dan has been referring to these past couple of months?
    Oh Yeah!!! Tis indeed.

I just ordered a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I just ordered a copy.

Me too!!! Hope it gets here soon.

been off the grid for the last week or so, but i wanted to chime in on the book... in short, it's phenomenal. todd's set a new standard in guide books, and i'm amazed he kept it as inexpensive as it is (self published, full color, low quantity print run, etc...)

even more impressive than the physical book though is the trip possibilities this opens up. i've done a lot of grand canyon loops with these guys the last 8 months, and i will tell you they are nothing like any other canyoneering adventure out there right now. this is expedition canyoneering, multiple days, with packrafting, ropes, fantastic anchor solving problems, route finding, off trail navigation, and all the classic grand canyon obstacles. these canyons are a lot of work. the pay to play ratio is high, but the rewards are canyons unlike anything i've ever seen. and the scale of them is pretty amazing. they aren't tight and sinuous like utah slots. they are huge, deep, and magnificent. and as close to true wilderness adventure as you can get anywhere in the lower 48.

and even if you aren't into technical canyons, this is probably the most exhaustive grand canyon book when it comes to "breaks" and routes in obscure places in the canyon. if you've ever stared at a topo in the GC, you'll realize the place is a giant game of chutes and ladders, and the only way to get down to the next level is through "breaks." this presents a lot of information for people looking to piece together non-tech routes too.

the fact that todd and rich have been systematically exploring these slots for 4 years and have chosen to share the beta in this book is quite a gift to the community, and hopefully will open up a whole bunch of new canyoneering adventures for folks looking to escape the confines of navajo sandstone

My book came today, I have only thumbed through it so far but I can already tell it takes guide books to a whole new level. I have really just looked at the hundreds of color pictures and maps. The maps are awesome! Easy to follow routes are clearly marked on color USGS maps.

Bogley BigShot
    Awesome!

Got my book yesterday in the mail!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to get enough time off to drop into some canyons out there.

Check out Garden Creek, canyon #34. Wow!

Just got our shipment in at Adventure Plus in St. George. This really is an impressive book.

Going to order a copy. His Arizona book was also amazing. I've been planning a trip there for months now.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Going to order a copy. His Arizona book was also amazing. I've been planning a trip there for months now.
    there is good stuff not far from vegas... cove canyon, especially with water in the spring, is something to see. very cool. the trailhead is at toroweap, so it's like 3 hours or so from vegas.

Cool. I'm definitely going to order it as soon ad my finances recover from the motorcycle fix it process. Do you know if it has any of the areas in the grand canyon-pargshnut national monument? I spend a lot of time in the park in the areas between gold butte and toroweap.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Cool. I'm definitely going to order it as soon ad my finances recover from the motorcycle fix it process. Do you know if it has any of the areas in the grand canyon-pargshnut national monument? I spend a lot of time in the park in the areas between gold butte and toroweap.
    A PDF of the Table of Contents is available here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/gcctoc.pdf

Tom

of course... this thing is an encyclopedia. if you have an atv or high clearance vehicle, there are tons of options out there...

Thane ordered one for us. INCREDIBLE!!
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org