Thread: girth hitch - belay loop vs. waist and leg tie-ins

girth hitch - belay loop vs. waist and leg tie-ins

I've been thinking about the pros and cons of attaching a laynard or cowstail to one's belay loop versus attaching it through both the waist and leg loop tie-in points.

To keep the thread headed in the right direction: 1.) modern canyoneering harnesses often have a single tie-in point which makes this is moot discussion, and 2.) most dedicated canyoneering laynards are attached via a rapide. I certainly attach mine with a rapide.

Just in the last week I've heard two separate (climbing) groups advocating tying in their laynards/safety tethers through both separate tie-in points and not their belay loops; and have observed many many people using this setup. Their rationale for this seemed bogus to me, and I've always attached daisies/laynards/cowstails with a girth hitch directly to the belay loop.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bcdhgwp View Post
    Just in the last week I've heard two separate (climbing) groups advocating tying in their laynards/safety tethers through both separate tie-in points and not their belay loops; and have observed many many people using this setup. Their rationale for this seemed bogus to me, and I've always attached daisies/laynards/cowstails with a girth hitch directly to the belay loop.
    What was/is their rationale?

I think its still fairly fresh in climbers' minds that a fairly famous and very experienced climber died in Yosemite a couple years ago when his belay loop failed due in part to having a long time girth hitch on it (and wearing at the same point).

I usually girth hitch any sling or anchor webbing through my harness and not the belay loop, mostly, to keep the belay loop uncluttered.

I think most lanyard makers, at least Sterling and Metolius, advocate girth hitching to the harness not on the belay loop.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdhgwp View Post
    I've been thinking about the pros and cons of attaching a laynard or cowstail to one's belay loop versus attaching it through both the waist and leg loop tie-in points.

To keep the thread headed in the right direction: 1.) modern canyoneering harnesses often have a single tie-in point which makes this is moot discussion, and 2.) most dedicated canyoneering laynards are attached via a rapide. I certainly attach mine with a rapide.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    As Brian said, climbers are leery of using the belay loop, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not. There is a lot of mythology involved in techniques that swirl through the climbing community.

I don't agree with point 2, but, styles vary from group to group.

I put mine on my belay loop, girth hitched. Have not had a problem with it.

The distance between the leg loop cross strap and the tie-in point on the waist belt tends to be dynamic - as we walk, climb and rappel this distance changes by about 6". Partly this depends on how you fit in the harness. If you cinch this closed with a tether device, you defeat this dynamic adjustment, and the harness will likely be less comfortable to walk in.

I could not find instructions for use on either the Metolius or Sterling websites - that detail is just not there.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    I usually girth hitch any sling or anchor webbing through my harness and not the belay loop, mostly, to keep the belay loop uncluttered.
    x2

I like my belay loop uncluttered.

i am a leg and waist loop girther.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.