Thread: Basin south of Halls Creek Narrows?

Basin south of Halls Creek Narrows?

Does anybody have any info on this basin(?) just south of Halls Creek Narrows?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...h&z=14&vpsrc=6

I'm thinking about a backpack to the narrows and I would like to spend another day exploring nearby. If this feature is accessible (non-technical) it looks pretty amazing. So far cannot find anything about it - maybe its a secret (more likely I'm just slow). If we set up camp on the south end of the narrows this would be a good dayhike possibly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you referring to Millers Creek? Don't know anything about it but it looks like a fair amount comes up on Google. Sounds kinda technical to me.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.584106,-110.911703&z=14&t=t2

Thanks for the fast reply. That is it, I'll look into it.

I looked back though my flyover photos from a couple of months ago and just caught the big-toe part of it in the picture of the Escalante River.

@goofball knows the area well. it's also close to some of the coolest features i've seen in capitol reef. miller's usually has flowing clear water. very nice. semi-tech to get up in there, i believe. but i don't know for sure.

What I call "The Ballroom"

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
    Does anybody have any info on this basin(?) just south of Halls Creek Narrows?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...h&z=14&vpsrc=6

I'm thinking about a backpack to the narrows and I would like to spend another day exploring nearby. If this feature is accessible (non-technical) it looks pretty amazing. So far cannot find anything about it - maybe its a secret (more likely I'm just slow). If we set up camp on the south end of the narrows this would be a good dayhike possibly.
    i've been in there once, down south of halls creek a couple times. it is a great area. millers creek is not a technical area to get into. i did not go far up it, but thru the narrows of the lower portion and into its main canyon just a bit.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561570073LKfCAz

signature

Thank you guys, great info. This looks like a great trip possibility for me and is on the top of my list now for my Oct three nighter.

Taking the shortcut looks like about 7 miles down Halls Creek to south of the narrows, then set up camp for three nights exploring the narrows one day and Miller's Creek the next.

The other option I'm considering is a quick Sulphur Creek on day one then doing Lower Muley twist - camping atop the post cutoff the first night, exploring Lower Muley the next day and camping 2 nights near the cowboy camp with a dayhike looping around the waterpocket fold coming back through south of hamburger rocks.

Mulling these two over will keep me satisfied for a while!

Halls Creek Narrows is way better than Lower Muley Twist, so I'd do that one. Don't miss Brimhall Canyo either. Lower Muley Twist usually has no water either and is a dry hike.

Don't listen to the rangers if they try to tell you Halls Creek has dried up. It's always there, at least close to the upper part of the narrows and most of the way down to Lake Powell.

It's easy to get into Millers Creek, in fact, the tiny creek has fish in it so if they can swim up the canyon, it's not hard to hike up it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

That lower Muley trip sounds sweet. I've never gotten below the post cutoff and I'd like to see Cowboy camp and the Hamburgers. For that matter going back down to Hall's Narrows is on the list too.

Good advice about Brimhal, I guess I shouldn't miss it although it will add the 7 mile walk by skipping the shortcut route.

It should be a relaxing 7 miles though right? Halls creek isn't a sand slog, is it?

Good advice about Brimhal, I guess I shouldn't miss it although it will add the 7 mile walk by skipping the shortcut route
    We went down the entrance near Brimhall and out the shortcut on the way back from the narrows. If you can manage it, it's a good way to go.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Walking the creek bed is not a problem. Pretty solid mostly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Still mulling the possibilities, and I wanted to keep it all in one thread even though this question has to do with Escalante.

One trip that seems worth looking into is a three night Silver Falls Creek - Choprock Canyon loop with a side trip to Neon Canyon and the Golden Cathedral. Is there a good reason why the trip to Golden Cathedral is more popular (from what I can tell) coming from the western end/Hole in the Rock road?