Thread: Big Elk Lake August 2011

Big Elk Lake August 2011

Big Elk Lake August 19-20 2011

Big Elk Lake Sunset by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr

Got a small crew to do a last hurrah to summer before the fall semester kicked in. We left early on friday morning to Big Elk Lake. The Crystal lake trail head was jammed, so we parked in the overflow. Though we didn't see a TON of people on the trail, but there were lots of people at long and island lake. We wanted to stop to do the cliff jumping there, but there were about 20 people already up there taking their sweet time so we just went on.

We got to big elk lake in mid afternoon. We shared the lake with 2 other groups. One group with horses, and a guy with a bunch of younger kids who gave us the vibe that he did not want us there LOL. We went cheap for food and brought up some hot dogs and roasted them over the fire. It was a great choice. I've noticed that I tent to get some serious stomach aches after I eat a backpacking meal so I wanted to go another route. All I brought for food was a couple powerbars, the dogs and some apple cider. It was more than plenty. One in the group brought some homemade beef jerky and boy was that stuff amazing.

I caught a couple fish, but released them both. they're much bigger here than up at ryder or ostler that's for sure.

The sunset didn't give me a whole lot to work with, but there was still some color and detail in the sky and I think the log in the lake saved me. The sunrise was pretty but also pretty bland :/

It was a really good trip to end off summer. Next week I'm headed to zions narrows after I couldn't go in June we rescheduled, woop woop!

Pics:

Night Begins by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr

Big Elk Star Trails by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr

_MG_0661 by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr
    This might be the most interesting shot I've had. two meteors headed right towards each other.

_MG_0730_1_2_fused by Gareth Loosle, on Flickr

Our route:
    http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen...rip_id=1249899
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gloo View Post
    All I brought for food was a couple powerbars, the dogs and some apple cider. It was more than plenty.
    Dogs, the ultimate survival food! Plus you dont have to carry it on your back.

Looks like a great farewell to the high country.

Nice TR! Super jealous, my wife had back surgery two weeks ago and I have to wait until she is better before I can head out again. I have wanted to hike out to that lake. Good to know the fishing would be worth it.