Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets are good things

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Glad to hear you don't want to quit biking. Welcome to Bogley! Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Ditto. Welcome Rog. Good to hear from ya. Enjoy reading your progress.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks again. I have a great desire to get back on a bike. Even if its a recumbent. A lot to be dictated by my back recovery of course. And I feel winter upon me already. Last coupl days of rehab have been tough, but pogresss is being made. I might be a bi fat, but i'n in better shape than many they get through here. I don't think they like me asking, "whats next?", when I know my session is over.

I'm beat. Yesterday afternoon the vendor responsible for my brace came to alter it, and took it away. Which lead to lots frustrations yesterday and This morning. The brace was returned just before noon today. SOOOO much better fit. Which lead to a highly compressed OT session and back to back PT sessions. So I was exhausted afterwards.

But I covered lots of distance, managed a lot of time standing, lots of getting up and down from chairs. But the biggie today was STAIRS! I climbed their short stack several ways. I still have some strength to gain, some extra work getting myself dressed. Wife and daughter get me in and out of the brace very well. No way I can get it myself.

While this recovery is seriously different than my knee recovery, at least I'm not dealing with that instability. So I feel much stronger and confident having gone through some of the same exercises just a few months ago.

So I've run the gammut of emotions today. In the end, I'm doing very well as a survivor. Today has been a breakover day no doubt.

Great to hear of your progress! Good days are usually followed by a rest day - happy Friday. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Thanks. Actually, Friday was nearly as busy and hectic as Thursday was. I go home in the morning!!! Its going to be a rough road, but my wife and daughter have been working with my therapy folks to get me in and out of the brace and how to keep me safe about the house. I'll update as things move forward. I refuse to be a spectator.

Awesome!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Quote Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
    Home is awesome!!!!

Now rest and don't over-do-it!

Felicia

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Keep it up!
    Chere'

First day of physical therapy yesterday. I was exhausted. And look forward to more as I get my stamina back.

Today is a blur. I'm on a cloud and still don't quite believe it. At my appointment, new Xrays were taken and the doc was happy with my progress. She took my TLSO brace off! I do have limits. But not many. I do have to wear the cervical collar for two more months. Which leads to my greatest restriction. No driving until the collar comes off. But I can attempt to return to work Monday if I choose.

Without the brace, I feel remarkably vulnerable. I need to start some core work, and have specific directions from the doc to my Physical Therapist. And I hope I gain enough strength in the back so it will stop trying to cramp up on me...

Color me very happy this evening. I don't know if this is a normal time frame after fusion or if I'm special. I still have a follow up appointment tomorrow with physical therapy group at the hospital. I am certain, thanks to my own PT, they will be pleased.

Its been 5 weeks since the wreck. I've been home for 2 weeks. I'm pleased with the progress I've made in therapy, with a therapist I TRUST. I'm pleased with what I'm doing about the house to help my support team (read that as my wife and daughter!).

I got my bike back this weekend, and it needs some cleanup, and a new front wheel. Not sure when I'll be ready, but I need to find some new wheels for it and move forward as I can, so it will be ready, whenever I am...

I love your positive attitude! It is so important when you are recovering.
    Chere'

Somehow I missed this thread over the past few weeks. Found it today in my New Posts, and read back over it. Holy cow - scary stuff!

It sounds like you're making a really good recover, Roger - that's excellent. Keep up the good work, and the good attitude.

I hear you about the slower recovery times as we get older. I'm 46, and sometimes getting better is a heck of a grind. I had a massive knee injury at 26, which required months of physio and permanently impaired function, and I dread to think of how it would have turned out had it happened now... Sounds like you're well on the road, though!

All the best to you - looking forward to updates, keep us posted!! (Oh, and welcome to Bogley... )

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    I love your positive attitude! It is so important when you are recovering.
    X2

Realized I hadn't updated here in a while. So today is 10 weeks since my wreck. I'm not dwelling on that day as much as thinking about my future. Yes, I have been lucky, and am glad I can walk and use my hands. I know how bad it could have gone.

I must be sick, as I lOVE going to therapy. I treat every session as a workout. I use the time and mileage on the stationary bike towards my winter goals. I've gone ck to work at 7 weeks, and put in 2 days the first two weeks and 3 days this past week. Until I can drive, I will be taking one day a week off for therapy. I hope to have the cervical collar off at the end of November. But that isn't a guarantee. I can't drive until I have it off.

Therapy is going well. I keep getting weights added to my ankles and stronger resistance bands... We started doing work on the back muscles and I got a portable TENS stimulation unit to calm the back muscles down. It is obvious to me, that I will be in therapy for some time. But if this goes as well as my therapy after my knee replacement, I'll be done with therapy well before the average. My therapist's goal for me is to be ready for circuit training in the gym when I'm discharged from therapy. I also have to remember, that this isn't something to rush, and just do what I can as I can as I heal.

I'm putting my bike on the indoor trainer for the winter. I'd like to get 500 miles on it over the winter. But 1000 would be better...

So, I'm doing pretty good. I know where I've been, and have a really good idea where I want to be. I'll try to update this a bit sooner though!!!

Awesome!

No your not sick for loving therapy. It is a challenge and you might as well take it head on. You won't get back to normal if you don't.

Now I think your crazy if you like that TENS unit. I HATE that thing. Hate it.... gives me the willies.

PS. Can't wait to see your new bike!
    Chere'

Actually, I kinda like the TENS unit... They usually don't let me touch the controls! Mine is just a handheld...

Welcome to the crash club! A helmet saved my life a few years ago with the Bogley crew - that and a lot of help from the forum guys I was able to get back on the bike within a year or so. I still have issues with some physical things but I am SO incredibly thankful that I can even ride still

Folks around are probably tired of hearing me talk of how lucky I feel. I get a "do over" that very few get. I thought it interesting when my doc let take the FLAP brace off, she said I could ride a bike as tolerated, but mountain biking. No barring exercises. Of course as I heal, that should change. But gonzo style tiding will be out. Should try a spin class soon though!

Glad you were fortunate enough for a do over. Enjoy the spin class.
    Chere'