Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Helmets are good things

It's nice to read that you are recovering! :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not having a good day. I haven't really slept in two nights now. And my back is just a mess today. I did something over the weekend to annoy things, but can't for the life of me figure out what it was. What little sleep I have got, I found I can lay on my stomach for a bit. I'm a stomach sleeper, and haven't been able to for MONTHS!!!! Really hard to do when you can't turn your head much.

You are indeed fortunate! Heck no, not tired of hearing it. Great that recovery is progressing - keep it up!

Sheesh - that's embarrassing. I posted the previous comments (about good recovery and such) without seeing page two of the thread. The last thing I saw was from the wee hours of the morning, and thinking about taking a spin class. I really didn't mean to play down your discussion of not having a good day, or not getting enough sleep. My apologies. I'm sure that challenges like this will pass, and you'll continue with your recovery!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Don't stress the bad days! They are a part of the process. You have come a long way in a short period. Just look back at what you have accomplished.
    Chere'

Sleeping for me was the hardest part too...still can't sleep on my side - shoulder wakes me up if I do then aches all day. If I work my arse off during the day then I can sleep through most of the night. When the barometer drops my arm aches & lets me know a storm is coming...shoulder aches...knee throbs...but I'm thankful that I still have mobility enough to be very active. Keep your chin up dude - be strong!

Three nights of little sleep. But slept good last night, hoping to have the same tonight. Not everyday can be a great day. I'm allowed to have a bad day now and again. Its what I do with the good days that makes the difference. My therapist made note that I've seen him longer for my back than my knee. The knee recovery made me his "poster boy" for knee replacements. So fittingly, to mark this occasion, he added time and a level to my time on the stationary bike, and upped the weights on my ankle and hand weight exercises.

Keep it up man, keep giving us your status. Sometimes telling your story of recovery can be a great help in the recovery process itself.

Okay ya just made me queasy with the knee replacements. Now I am thinking you were just missing your therapist. Really you didn't need to throw yourself off a bike to see him again. I think he would agree.
    Chere'

Poster Boy reference is because I have more Range of Motion than most get after replacement... Knee is designed for 150 degrees, I got 142. And I prefer to think he threw rocks all over the road to drum up business... Seriously, He is a good therapist. But he didn't seem to be amused when I asked if there was discounts for a third injury...

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Okay ya just made me queasy with the knee replacements. Now I am thinking you were just missing your therapist. Really you didn't need to throw yourself off a bike to see him again. I think he would agree.

I SERIOUSLY overdid things last weekend. Had a good Thanksgiving meal at my friend Scott's house. Thanks Scott! My son and his wife were up for the rest of the weekend, I helped him as he went through his stuff in the basement. Not much, but enough to get sore. And again the next day helping him get his truck out of the garage. I spent the rest of the weekend recovering.

I went to see my surgeon Tuesday. She was pleased with my physical therapy reports. But it was the Xrays she was interested in. Again, not REAL sure what she was trying to show me, but the gist of things is, I can do almost anything I can tolerate. Except. Nothing high impact, specifically, mountain biking, ATV riding. And running. Those have to wait till at least August, she wants me to heal for a year before doing more than that. And you know what? August isn't that far off. I want to make sure I can do all I want later, so I'll wait and heal. But at least I can get into the gym. Not much weight, so I'll look like a sissy noob for a while. They can ask me why...

Oh yeah, she let me take the collar off too... Neck muscles are stiff and weak. But getting stronger.

I had my daughter snap a couple shots of me wearing the TLSO brace I had to wear at the beginning.

Just to remember how far I've come since the end of September. That WAS custom fit to me. I've lost a little weight it seems! (Almost 40 pounds!)

Dang - that's a serious brace! Excellent that you can start doing a lot more, and good attitude about being patient with the healing process. Some short term frustration for longer term improvement is worthwhile. Keep it up, dude!

Being patient is the hardest part for me after an injury, but it's a must or it ends up taking longer to heal.

Like I said, August isn't that far off! Patience was something I learned a bit about last year at this time, with my knee replacement. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Yes patience is the key. Brace looks like way too much fun. Keep up the healing and don't push it.
    Chere'

Dang, that brace looks pretty hardcore. Keep on the healing path.

I got 6 CDs worth of images, I just did screen shots and cropped them.
    http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/s...onrog/Surgery/

What you will be seeing is the hardware in my back, and a few different views showing the damage to the T 7-10, but the T 9 damage is the easiest to see. And with the hardware, there aren't any screws in the T 9 as it was too damaged to accept screws.

I don't think there is anything here to make anyone squeemish, but I'll apologize ahead of time.

Wow - amazing shots. That T9 was busted up. Thanks for posting - very interesting pics.