Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets are good things

Helmets are good things

So My friend Roger and I decided to race down Middle Canyon today.. unfortunately about 15 minutes into the ride Rogers front tire lost all pressure while we were doing around 35-40 MPH down the hill, I was behind him and saw his front end wobble quick and he went onto the soft shoulder and took flight... he landed head, shoulder, back. When I got back up the hill to him after stopping I knew he was messed up, his helmet had left him and was a few feet away and all he could do was moan through his mouth filled with dirt. I did a quick assessment and forced him to not sit up or move and had the one person that stopped out of about 20 that drove by head down the hill and call an ambulance.

Long story short he is at the U right now after being life-lighted from the Tooele Hospital. Major concussion (he would forget how everything happened not 10 seconds after I would complete telling him) and at least 2 broken vertebrae and bunches of scratches etc...

From the look of his helmet I have a feeling that without it this story would be even worse...
    Name:  2011-08-21 11.47.56&.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  55.6 KB
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. It happens to a few people every year and it's never fun to be a part of or hear about. Keep us posted and best of luck to Roger.

Our prayers are with Roger. I hope he recovers soon. I'm glad you're ok and he isn't worse.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Thanks guys, looks like he will be having surgery early this AM.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Keeping him and his family in my thoughts. Let us know how surgery goes.
    Chere'

so the surgery got pushed to around 2 this afternoon.. going to go visit tomorrow I think.. He is going to be the man of steel.. they are going to pin from T7 to T12.. he also has a crushed artery.. but his memory is improving still does not remember the accident............

Quick update.. The surgery went 2 hours faster than they thought it would, everything went into place well. They pinned from T7 to T12 and he also has a fracture at the base of his skull and a crushed artery. I talked to him last night and he is in great spirits. He has a long recovery ahead of him but things look good.

I don't think he will be able to ride a bike again.. well at least a standard bike so it may be time to start building a recumbent...

Wishing him a speedy recovery.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Wishing him a speedy recovery.
    X2
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about him not being able to ride again. Its good to hear that the surgery was smooth.

I had multiple fractures in c3,t3, and t4 back 2002 when I was 32 years old from doing a superman over the handle bars up a Deer Valley. I definitley am lucky to have had the recovery that I have experienced. I still feel the pain and I was told that I would feel it for the rest of my life. Looking back now, it seems like I ride more aggressive now than before the accident. It must be something psychologically in my head that gives me the drive to ride with my own style. I hope that your friend has a speedy recovery and doesn't let this affect the future things that he might want to accomplish.

Looks like he won't be out till next week at the earliest....

Thanks folks for well wishes. Always been a big believer in helmets... My background of sorts is that I was a very avid (rabid) cyclist in the 89s and 90. Took a bike on deployments with me when I could... I've slowed over the years but was beginning to ramp again... i had my left knee replaced last November have had had great luck with range of motion. I currently have all the issues Scott describes. Still having memory issues, can't get comfy, have to we a huge bodybrace to stabilize the fused are, as well as the base of my skull I tried to rip off, and to give the artery issue time to heal. I'm not ready to quit riding but for a chnange will pay a little more attention. I'm 48 and it is getting harder to recover. I'll type more as I feel up to it.

Welcome to Bogley, Roger. Glad to see you're doing well enough to get out on the interwebz! My two cents: start backpacking! Less speed = less damage. Slow and steady man. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Welcome to Bogley, Roger. Glad to see you're doing well enough to get out on the interwebz! My two cents: start backpacking! Less speed = less damage. Slow and steady man. Best wishes.
    You don't know how funny this is.. Rog and I had talked about this a few times and we were just waiting until his knee was at full capacity to do such.. Looks like that might be a little ways out again...

Rog good to see you on here man, I suggest you spend some time typing up your drug induced stories and posting them here :)

Good to hear from you and welcome to bogley.

When Mark had his bad crash last year, he couldn't remember a lot of it either. He had to watch the video to see what happened. I don't think I ever made the "uncut" version public, but I kept the video rolling, set my helmet camera on the ground facing him and his struggle to get up. The few that I did show it too quickly criticized me @ "you kept filming??? jeez you've got strange priorities"

But the footage was valuable to Mark so he could see what happened in that memory gap he had lost.

Get better!

Here's Mark's footage.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...aw-Poppy-Trail

Can't watch that video yet. All better now I assumefor you friend? The way this year has gone is making me rethink that hiking Scott! Thanksall!

You will be fine rog dont worry..hiking is so much safer as long as you dont talk to tacoma too much.... You will get through this bro...I am about to start taking a collection for bike parts to build your recumbent trike..... Thinking rear suspension would be nice

Glad to hear you don't want to quit biking. Welcome to Bogley! Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Chere'