Thread: Red Pine Lake- Little Cottonwood Canyon- Aug 2011

Red Pine Lake- Little Cottonwood Canyon- Aug 2011

I finally made it up to one of my favorite places to go in the Wasatch. The hike up was perfect temperatures and the flowers were out everywhere. A few bugs, but not intolerable. After I started up the Red Pine junction I found myself shooting pictures of a Pika in a small boulder field on the slope. I made a very brisk pace to the Maybird/Red Pine junction. Took a small water break them moved on. Got to the lake shortly after and was amazed how green it all was up there, and how many wildflowers were still blooming. I headed to the south side, and 5th cast had a fish. Nice Cutty's up there. I landed 16 fish today, and one that was easily 16". The hike out was awesome, beautiful light and a nice breeze and more flowers! Nice day shooting photos and being up there again. It is days like this that remind me that what I am looking for is in my own backyard! Love the Wasatch!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What were you using at the end of your line? I was up there last week and spent 4 hours trying rooster tails, cast masters, and panther martins with no luck. The lake is so deep that I figured bait would have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by reverse_dyno View Post
    What were you using at the end of your line? I was up there last week and spent 4 hours trying rooster tails, cast masters, and panther martins with no luck. The lake is so deep that I figured bait would have worked better.
    I was using my trusty Fly and a Bubble set up. Elk Hair Caddis fly was killing it yesterday.

This is the exact the fly I was using yesterday:
    Name:  elk-hair-caddis..jpg
Views: 704
Size:  82.4 KB

A photo from my trip to Red Pine Lake was picked as the weekly winner for the KSL/Pictureline Photo contest for the month of August. Stoked! Here is the pic:

Name:  68812..jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  173.7 KB

You can view it on the news at 10:00 PM during the weather segment tonight, and you can see it here at this link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=901157&nid=461

Voting for the monthly winner begins starting next Friday!

Yup, definitely one of the nicest hikes in the Wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Yup, definitely one of the nicest hikes in the Wasatch.
    Yeah, I have to agree, one of the best walks in the mountians you can take. I did not make it up there last year, I was in the Uinta's too much. Next time I go, I am staying over night. Fishing was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Great shots!
    Thanks! It was a great day up there, one of the best all summer!

The voting is up for the for the month of August 2011. My pic from this hike is one of the contenders. Great day up there, and if I win, the photography from that day could go to a great cause.