Thread: Highline Trail to Black Lake

Highline Trail to Black Lake

Sorry, apparently I can't post pictures because I haven't been here long enough.

Last week I took a group of 7 boy scouts and 3 leaders to the Uintas for the boys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice report! Look forward to the pics when you can post them! I think you have to have so many (3-5 or so) posts before you can post pictures.

FYI - In my experience 30 deg bag = you can survive at 30 degrees, but you won't sleep. If you don't want to buy a new bag rated at a colder temperature you can buy a sleeping bag liner that adds about 8-9 degrees of warmth. I think mine was around $30...

Quote Originally Posted by homerj View Post
    FYI - In my experience 30 deg bag = you can survive at 30 degrees, but you won't sleep. If you don't want to buy a new bag rated at a colder temperature you can buy a sleeping bag liner that adds about 8-9 degrees of warmth. I think mine was around $30...
    I have a 30 degree rated, and it does not keep me warm unless I have a insulated pad under me. If I have an insulated pad, it works, but if not I get so cold. I moved up to the Kelty Lightyear 20 degree down this season. It keeps me so warm, and is the best sleeping bag I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    I moved up to the Kelty Lightyear 20 degree down this season. It keeps me so warm, and is the best sleeping bag I have ever owned.
    I've heard lots of good reviews about that bag!

Quote Originally Posted by homerj View Post
    I've heard lots of good reviews about that bag!
    Yeah, I read a bunch of good reviews. That is why when Recreation Outlet had them for $80 bucks I ran to get one. It is now my permanent alpine bag. It dipped to frost on the meadow Sunday morning out at Jewel Lake. But I was warm, not even mummied all the way in my bag, and I was toasty all night. Zippers are no catch either, which makes in and out of your bag zero work. It compresses down pretty small, and weights 2lbs and some change. Love it!

Thanks for the tip on the bag. I am contemplating my next move. I was pretty cold - I doubt a liner would fix it for me. I will take a look at the Kelty bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Yeah, I read a bunch of good reviews. That is why when Recreation Outlet had them for $80 bucks I ran to get one. It is now my permanent alpine bag. It dipped to frost on the meadow Sunday morning out at Jewel Lake. But I was warm, not even mummied all the way in my bag, and I was toasty all night. Zippers are no catch either, which makes in and out of your bag zero work. It compresses down pretty small, and weights 2lbs and some change. Love it!
    I've got a Kelty Cosmic Down 20(which is basically the same as the Lite Trekker) and a Kelty Lite Trekker 20. I bought the Cosmic Down from Campmor for about $70 and I got the Lite Trekker at Target of all places for $45 on sale! They are excellent bags. I used mine in January down near Comb Ridge when the temps dropped to single digits. I had a down jacket and pants on and an insultated pad and kept very warm. It is one bag that is true to its 20 degree rating.

I've got a Subkilo REI down bag, rated to 20 degrees, it weighs about 2 lbs, stuffs to the size of a cantaloupe, and is very warm in 30 degree weather, so much so that I sweat and sleep in my underwear with the side zip down. I have been a little chilly in the bag at 20 degrees though, I think all bags exaggerate their rating a little, but this is now my permanent summer time alpine bag. Only down side is if it gets wet it's useless, being down fill.