Thread: What canyon to solo in The Roost?

What canyon to solo in The Roost?

Hello everyone,
    So I live in Denver and was planning on driving down to the Robber's Roost area for the weekend with a buddy for some slots on sat/sun. He just bailed, so I'm most likely gonna head down there alone.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend two(sat and sun) fun canyons in The Roost that are possible and (relatively)safe to do alone.
    I don't have a wetsuit and because I'll be soloing I'm not interested in any canyons of a 4 rating or any R or X slots. Also I have a 2WD car... I know, it sucks.
    I figure Blue John is probably the most popular canyon in The Roost so I was thinkin of doing that one day. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    -Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Hello everyone,
    So I live in Denver and was planning on driving down to the Robber's Roost area for the weekend with a buddy for some slots on sat/sun. He just bailed, so I'm most likely gonna head down there alone.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend two(sat and sun) fun canyons in The Roost that are possible and (relatively)safe to do alone.
    I don't have a wetsuit and because I'll be soloing I'm not interested in any canyons of a 4 rating or any R or X slots. Also I have a 2WD car... I know, it sucks.
    I figure Blue John is probably the most popular canyon in The Roost so I was thinkin of doing that one day. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    -Sam
    "Don't have a wetsuit" tends to indicate you are not a canyoneer. Which makes it tough to recommend even the easier things as a reasonable thing to do. The most famous canyoneer in the USA is/was not really a canyoneer, more of an adrenaline junkie/climber/skier type. Had a bad day in BlueJohn.

Perhaps if you provided more of a resume...

also... Robber's Roost, in August????

jus' sayin' ...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The most famous canyoneer in the USA is/was not really a canyoneer, more of an adrenaline junkie/climber/skier type. Had a bad day in BlueJohn.

If you insist on going to robbers roost solo this time of year, North Fork isn't a bad choice. Other than the exit crack and the slog up the hill it's pretty straight forward. I can't recall to many real technical sections in that canyon ( anyone care to refresh my memory?).

Easy approach and a fairly flat road hike back to the car after the exit. the crack has potential for some pretty loose rocks on the way up so use caution if you choose this one. You are in the middle of nowhere. Bring plenty of water- you won't find any!

Another option is to change locations and head over to Zion where you cam get wet and out of the heat.

ZAC rents wetsuits pretty cheap from what I hear.

a plea

Tom,

Not the reply I hoped for, but fair enough.

I can't argue with your appraisal of my wetsuit remark. If owning a wetsuit is a prerequisite to being a canyoneer, than I am not one. You're right, I am relatively new to technical canyoneering and if I gave you my resume you wouldn't be impressed.

I live in Denver and have been makin frequent trips (mostly just canyon hikes) to the area for 6 years now. Recently I got into rock climbing so the natural progression of things led me into technical canyons. So while I do have some experience with navigation, rope work, technical equip and the local landscape, you're probably right that I don't have enough experience to be soloing canyons...I just really got the canyon fever and I couldn't round up anyone to go on such short notice.

I know The Roost in summer is brutal. I chose it because (do to proximity) I am most familiar with Moab, The Roost and The San Rafael Swell. It's supposed to be in the low 90's.

I am familiar with Aron Ralston and his follies and I don't wish to end up like him. I know that (in part due to Aron Ralson,) these canyons and canyoneering in general has seen an influx of people and attention over the last 5-10 years. I understand that this means more people, trash, SAR ops, bolts etc.. and as a community it's gotta suck to deal with, I feel for you. However, I have great respect for the area and landscape and have been coming down for years and exploring. I am competent and definitely not naive enough to head into a slot without leaving an itinerary. It's unfortunate that the consensus amongst the canyoneering community (regarding newcomers) seems to be to bring up the Ralston epic and say "keep out", there's gotta be a better way.

(Tom, That last diatribe was in response more to a general "us vs. them" sentiment that I feel from the canyoneering community while reading trip reports and gathering beta, not your response. I understand that my inquiry was regarding soloing and I'm relatively inexperienced so your reply of "don't do it" was the right one. No offense intended, thanks for the concern.)

-Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    If you insist on going to robbers roost solo this time of year, North Fork isn't a bad choice. Other than the exit crack and the slog up the hill it's pretty straight forward. I can't recall to many real technical sections in that canyon ( anyone care to refresh my memory?).

Easy approach and a fairly flat road hike back to the car after the exit. the crack has potential for some pretty loose rocks on the way up so use caution if you choose this one. You are in the middle of nowhere. Bring plenty of water- you won't find any!

Another option is to change locations and head over to Zion where you cam get wet and out of the heat.

ZAC rents wetsuits pretty cheap from what I hear.
    Mmmm, kinda. Zion's a long way from Colorado. Seems like there's a few straightforward canyons in Moab - Dragonfly?

Also, more of a possibility for a hookup (both kinds) if going to Moab.

T

Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    It's unfortunate that the consensus amongst the canyoneering community (regarding newcomers) seems to be to bring up the Ralston epic and say "keep out", there's gotta be a better way.
    Yeah maybe. I think the response is more - don't do THAT, perhaps you should go on a trip with experienced canyoneers, and cool your jets in the meantime.

There is a canyoning Rendezvous in Ouray this weekend... But that does require a wetsuit, helmet, etc. and the canyons there are not really beginner canyons. There are upcoming events in more pleasant conditions in the Roost and North Wash - and lots going on in North Wash in general - but not until October. About the only place where canyoning is considered reasonable right now is Zion, and I know that is a long way from Denva'.

Tom

when has anyone in this community ever suggested to "keep out?"

the suggestion is - solo has more risks. you have little technical experience. and it's summer. 3 strikes.

this forum is often doing trips for people who are newbs or have no canyon partners. this place is easy to find folks to hang with. there is a trip being planned for october right now. no one is trying to say "keep out." we're just saying "that sounds miserable, i wouldn't do it!"

Bshelton: Thanks. The North Fork was on my short list. I'll look into it.
    Tom: Hmm didn't know about those trips, I've always been curious about The North Wash, thanks.
    CarpeyBiggs: No one has ever said "keep out to me" in fact everyone I have come across seem like good people, just commenting on a vibe I get. That spiel probably should have been its own topic as it truly was not directed at anyone.

You might check out Moonshine. A fun slot...No ropes needed. Will be warm but you know that already...

Three Canyon is right across the road is not a slot but a gorgeous canyon IMO. And, it has a beautiful, clear stream running most of its length. The climb out can be dicey solo. However, you could hike down to the Green and climb up the horse trail to the top. (I have not climb out that way before...)

Just a few thoughts...

Another thought

You mentioned that you were headed that way due to your familiarity with Moab. Have you thought about the areas around Moab? Dragonfly and U Turn are both straightforward and would require less driving to get to, and have a lot of rappels. You can do multiple canyons in a day if you can beat the heat. Also Elephant Butte is always a good time and also close by. Be sure to read up on the special considerations to take in mind as these are in Arches National Park.

If your looking for more remote areas the Yellow Cat (even less driving) area of MMI, Lost and Found, Winter Campwash could also be good choices. The exit on some of these can have some exposure if your not used to slick rock, but over all they are straightforward.

If the roost is a must I would put a second in for recommending three canyon/ moonshine. Three canyon has only one rap that requires re-ascending in the end, moonshine is walk through. Three canyon is a gorgeous one!

Careful in the roost solo in August, it can be pretty unforgiving! Its a long way out there and not many will be there that time of year.

I guess it's too late, but Crescent Creek a.k.a. Lecleed Narrows a.k.a. Conumdrum is in the Roost area and would be a good one for August (assuming no t-storms are present). Since it only has the one rappel, it should be reasonably soloable.

Info:

http://climb-utah.com/Powell/crescent.htm

http://www.ajroadtrips.com/go/t/utah...wash/conundrum

Here is a TR with photos:

http://www.summitpost.org/exploring-...-report/720507
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Snarkiness and general negative canyoneer vibe aside, I LOVE the Roost but I would not go there in August. The rest of the year there is too nice to be messing around in there in summer.

__