Thread: Kolob

Kolob

Hey I just talked to the washington water district and they said that Kolob is still spilling over and that they release 3.5 cfs one week and the next they dont. anyone been down there recently? I was hoping to do it labor day... any info would be appreciated...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The "spill over" is hardly even a trickle. They wouldn't give us a permit last Monday so we went and looked at the flow and it's the lowest I've seen it. I don't think they even check the flow, they just hear that water is coming over the spillway and they close the canyon.

I've noticed the standard reply for a Kolob permit these days is 'NO'. It's just easier and the park doesn't have to deal with the canyon. To actually get a permit you pretty much have to do all the leg work on your own and than force the backcountry desk to call the Washington Water District.... And I've spoken with one anonymous source that works for the Washington water district and been told their standard response is "they are releasing water", even if they are not. That way they don't have to deal with it.... evenone is just taking the easy way out and canyoneers are the ones getting screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I've noticed the standard reply for a Kolob permit these days is 'NO'. It's just easier and the park doesn't have to deal with the canyon. To actually get a permit you pretty much have to do all the leg work on your own and than force the backcountry desk to call the Washington Water District.... And I've spoken with one anonymous source that works for the Washington water district and been told their standard response is "they are releasing water", even if they are not. That way they don't have to deal with it.... evenone is just taking the easy way out and canyoneers are the ones getting screwed.

Hmmm. I was hoping to do Kolob Saturday, August 12, so I did the dance with the Water District and spoke with Cindy Purcell, Head Ranger for Zion National Park. For the Park Service's part they basically stated that they do not feel that it is their responsibility to call the Water District, that is the responsibility of the permit applicant. They plainly stated that they are prepared to take your word that you have spoken with the Water District and they not releasing water for the day of travel. On the spill over issue, they also stated that it is their policy not to issue a permit if there was spill over. In our case, we elected to do Boundry on Friday August 12 in part because there was a 40% chance of rain for Saturday, the first day for which the water was being shut off.

I think that it might be possible to have an adult conversation with Ranger Purcell about the amount of the spill over and get a permit issues for Kolob on a day the Water District is not releasing water. What do I base that on? I did not get the impression that the rangers were being obstructionist. I did get the impression that they want to be certain that you have done your own homework and I think that if you spoke in advance to Ranger Purcell (real nice) and advised her that you will personally inspect the spill over yourself the day before and request the permit based on your own personal assessment of the water flow, that might actually get you a permit. I think someone should step up and kick the tires.

Ken

Why even get a permit for this canyon? Crazy talk! Your chance of running into a ranger are zilch in this area, and if you do see one just stand on the north side of the canyon, then you're out of the ZNP. We typicaly drive to the bridge and check it out, if it looks promising then we'll hike down ready to do the canyon, but prepared to abort once we see the actual flow into the canyon.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Why even get a permit for this canyon? Crazy talk! Your chance of running into a ranger are zilch in this area, and if you do see one just stand on the north side of the canyon, then you're out of the ZNP. We typicaly drive to the bridge and check it out, if it looks promising then we'll hike down ready to do the canyon, but prepared to abort once we see the actual flow into the canyon.
    Talk like that and you will go ahead of me on "the list" at Zion Nat. Park.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Why even get a permit for this canyon? Crazy talk! Your chance of running into a ranger are zilch in this area, and if you do see one just stand on the north side of the canyon, then you're out of the ZNP.

I told Ranger Ray he could keep his permit because I would only be canyoneering on the north side of the water.... And he told me if he caught me he was going to give me a ticket anyways and I could explain it the judge....

If anyone says anything about it when you are exiting just say you are doing Boundary. I highly doubt that the rangers are hanging around inside the canyon waiting for poachers to catch. As long as you are out of sight before anyone shows up at the first drop your golden.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Geez, what's the first rule of fight club, for cryin' out loud...?

Bogley BigShot
    To claim you have MPD when caught?

Or was that the 2nd rule?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    If anyone says anything about it when you are exiting just say you are doing Boundary. I highly doubt that the rangers are hanging around inside the canyon waiting for poachers to catch. As long as you are out of sight before anyone shows up at the first drop your golden.
    Mmmmm. Encouraging illegal activity, over the Interwebs. Congratulations CanyonGuru, you are now a co-conspirator.

Lying to an officer is illegal, and a crime that they take rather seriously.

To me, if the Ranger asks me where I have been, I would say "No thank you". You have no obligation to tell them where you have been or what you have been doing - whether you've been legal or not. Innocent until proven guilty.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Mmmmm. Encouraging illegal activity, over the Interwebs. Congratulations CanyonGuru, you are now a co-conspirator.

To me, if the Ranger asks me where I have been, I would say "No thank you". You have no obligation to tell them where you have been or what you have been doing - whether you've been legal or not. Innocent until proven guilty.

Tom
    Just don't break a leg in canyon and you are going to be fine-right.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post

Tom
    YES I HAVE FINALY MADE IT TO THE CLUB. Co-Conspirator Has a nice ring to it.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonguru View Post
    YES I HAVE FINALY MADE IT TO THE CLUB. Co-Conspirator Has a nice ring to it.
    Let me be the first to welcome you to the club!

thanks guys