Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metolius vs. Petzl vs. Imlay (for Tom) Canyoneering Packs, what's the best?

Metolius vs. Petzl vs. Imlay (for Tom) Canyoneering Packs, what's the best?

I currently own the metolius pack and love it. It's 2380 CU (39L) and pretty bulletproof. What is everyone's thoughts about the other two?

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/canyoneering_pack.html
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...cat=105&page=1
    http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...cat=105&page=1
    And there are about 5 Imlay options of various size.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

One of the Imlay options for me thank you very much.
    Life is Good

imlay packs are designed to carry a load comfortably. that's the biggest difference. ICG packs have frames, proper hipbelts, etc...

having carried both, I'll take an Imlay pack any day over the others. More comfortable by far, purpose built, and with the addition of the hybrid models, essentially just as bullet proof. Not to mention organization, side strap for skinnie's, external straps for whatever. Just a better pack all the way around!

Hey, curious about the Leprechaun.

About the same size as an old BD Bullet pack? 15L? Shoulder straps and waist belt?

Would it fit the new lightweight 36V Bosch, chalk bag with 20 bolts, gri gri, Yates speed stirrup and Petzl handled ascender, bolt kit with bits, wrenches, blow tube, brush and chain anchors?

Does it have a haul loop on it for towing up over broken sharp terrain?

I see Metolius added a waist belt to their little 15L vinyl pack. Hmmm...

I have 5 Arcteryx packs for various hiking/climbing applications, all of which are renowned for comfort (and cost). I recently bought an Imlay pack for canyoneering and found it to be as comfortable as the Arcteryx or better.....plus it's designed to take the specific rigors of sand/sandstone canyons.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Hey, curious about the Leprechaun.

About the same size as an old BD Bullet pack? 15L? Shoulder straps and waist belt?

Would it fit the new lightweight 36V Bosch, chalk bag with 20 bolts, gri gri, Yates speed stirrup and Petzl handled ascender, bolt kit with bits, wrenches, blow tube, brush and chain anchors?

Does it have a haul loop on it for towing up over broken sharp terrain?

I see Metolius added a waist belt to their little 15L vinyl pack. Hmmm...
    Yes, the Lep is very similar in size to the original BD Bullet - maybe 20% bigger, maybe a little more. Same idea, second generation, better shoulder straps and 1" strap hipbelt. Big strong heavy handle.

More info on packs available here: http://www.imlaycanyongear.com/130.php

Tom

Used my new Heaps pack in Imlay last month. It rocks. I used the little bivy pad. The straps are super comfy. there is a gear loop right inside the main compartment to hang your pothole escape tools so they are handy to get to. I will stop rambling but this pack is worth the $.
    The man thong is wrong.

Metolius canyoneering pack all the way.

The Durethane material that they use is unbelievably resistant to sandstone. Once you go Metolius you'll never go back... because it last for freaking ever. I've been canyoneering in mine for 8 years now and it is in amazing shape.

It's made in the USA as well.

NOTE: the smaller day haulbag that metolius makes is out of thinner Durethane. My friend took it (it was an older version) up some routes in Yosemite and it didn't do to well for him... I'd recommend checking it out before committing to the smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by oval View Post
    Metolius canyoneering pack all the way.
    Metolius is discontinuing their canyoneering pack.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post
    Metolius is discontinuing their canyoneering pack.
    That's sad if true. It's still on their site so far. Even if it did get discontinued, I'd still buy their similarly sized haul bag and add grommet holes... their stuff is that quality.

I've had my Imlay Kolob 40L for about a year and a half and have. I've drug it through 10-12 canyons now all of various sizes and lengths. I love this pack! Plenty of storage, still has outside pockets that don't get torn up and they stay out of the way. It drains quickly coming out of the swims and rides nice on the shoulders.

I have had an issue ever since day one with the main front straps being very difficult to to pinch and release. Sometimes it really takes some muscle ( not fun with cold fingers trying to get to the gloves) I'm sure it it's not a systemic problem, I just happen to be the lucky guy who got this one.

I will buy another one when this one wears out! Good pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    I've had my Imlay Kolob 40L for about a year and a half and have. I've drug it through 10-12 canyons now all of various sizes and lengths. I love this pack! Plenty of storage, still has outside pockets that don't get torn up and they stay out of the way. It drains quickly coming out of the swims and rides nice on the shoulders.

I have had an issue ever since day one with the main front straps being very difficult to to pinch and release. Sometimes it really takes some muscle ( not fun with cold fingers trying to get to the gloves) I'm sure it it's not a systemic problem, I just happen to be the lucky guy who got this one.

I will buy another one when this one wears out! Good pack!
    If you think your buckles are unusually difficult, it is easy enough to replace them. Probably have to send it here. Now is a good time for me.

Tom

No worries Tom, I appreciate the offer though. I am very happy with the pack!!

I didn't mean for that to come off as a complaint, that was not the point of that at all.

I noticed you said you reduced the volume of the Kolab pack to 30L. Are you making a 40L back still? I find that to be a good size.

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    No worries Tom, I appreciate the offer though. I am very happy with the pack!!

I didn't mean for that to come off as a complaint, that was not the point of that at all.

I noticed you said you reduced the volume of the Kolab pack to 30L. Are you making a 40L back still? I find that to be a good size.
    If you looked around a little more on the Imlay website, you would find this statement about volume:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    How is the pack volume calculated?

I used to make a number up, but now they are measured with ping pong balls.

The "Volume" number stated by manufacturers is a way of communicating the volume of the pack, and has traditionally had only a remote attachment to physical accuracy. I chose numbers based on my experience as pack manager at Black Diamond, where we did actually measure pack volumes using plastic balls. In Fall 2010, I bought a set of balls (I know, I know) and actually measured the packs, so the current stated volume is accurate, though it may not reflect the same size as stated volumes from other manufacturers. The stated volume does not include the pleated pockets.
    Once in a while, some of the buckles don't work exactly right. Replacing them with buckles that do work right ==> greater happiness.

Tom

I used to have a Peztl pack, the biggest advantage was it was bomb proof... the biggest disadvantage was it was bomb proof and took way too long wear out to the point that I could justify finally buying an Imlay Kolob pack. They are so much more comfortable than the Petzl packs and swimming with them is like night and day. The petzl pack didn't have a hip belt and would float up over my head while trying to swim. One trip swimming back to the boat on Lake Powell two people in our group came back to make sure I wasn't drowning... nope I was just trying to find an efficient way to swim with that stupid pack, never did find one. Buckling up the hip belt on my imlay pack and doing the backstroke is so much better. Haven't used the Metolious packs but they look similar, bomb proof and will last forever but at the cost of the Cadillac-like comfort of the Imlay packs. Imlay packs aren't as bomb proof but hold up WAY better than say a hiking pack from REI.

PS, outside of Zion when you aren't lugging big wetsuits and 200 foot ropes, the Leprechaun is the shiz-nit! I make desperate efforts to take it over my bigger pack on just about every trip... you'd be surprised what you can fit inside or strapped to the side of that thing, just ask anyone who's gone with me.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    the Leprechaun is the shiz-nit!
    Ditto! If I'm not using my big imlay pack, I'm using the little one. I think I'm even going to take it to school with me.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    PS, outside of Zion when you aren't lugging big wetsuits and 200 foot ropes, the Leprechaun is the shiz-nit! I make desperate efforts to take it over my bigger pack on just about every trip... you'd be surprised what you can fit inside or strapped to the side of that thing, just ask anyone who's gone with me.
    No one loads a Lep up like you buddy! I have been following your lead and stuffing it way beyond its intended volume as well. I love those tough little packs.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

I have been using a Arcteryx bag for years now and it finally died in imlay so I could get the Heaps pack. I used it on Kolob and loved it. I have never owned a bag that drains so well..
    Stop checking my spelling! I know I suck but I amn't in school anymor, so back off.