Thread: The Great White Book July 25th 2011

The Great White Book July 25th 2011

With Ryan and Stevee gone the night before and Tom due in the next day, it left
    us a day to do as we pleased. Aaron wanted to do Fairview Dome. I wanted to
    something easier, but nothing seemed to fit the bill. We started with a trip to
    Mono Lake and the tufas, before heading into the park. We were a bit ignorant of
    the area and its options. We considered a drive to the Sequoias. Aaron had never
    seen a big tree before. Considered a drive to the Valley. Aaron had never seen
    the Valley before. I wanted to see if Tenaya Lake was as pretty as I remembered
    from all those years back, while dating in the Wilderness.

Well the lake was as pretty but the road seemed an intrusion. The beaches and
    backgammon called to us, but not before spying the climbers on this Dome near
    the lake.There were groups lined up on the left and groups lined up on the
    right. No one on this wild looking dihedral in the center. An old timer, maybe a
    few years older than I, started chatting us up. Seems the route on the left was
    5.7. The route on the right was 5.8. Our pal said both routes had excellent
    protection. We inquired about the route in the center, which still was empty. He
    laughed. He said it was only 5.6, but protection it did not have. About 5-6
    pitches. He said it was R rated and famed. Called the Great White Book. He
    prodded us on. He was going to do a roped solo of the 5.7. He took off his shoes
    and I noted he had no toes. Wondered where he has been? Pretty grizzly and buff
    for 60 or so. He said the lack of protection didn't matter. Wasn't sure if I
    should be following the fellas
    advice.....but the line was sooooo compelling.

So much for a driving around tourist rest day. Aaron takes a 5.8 variation into
    the open book. First Yosemite slab climbing for him. Got the boys attention, it
    did. Then came the dihedral, 4 pitches of it. We both agreed that of all the
    climbs either of us have ever done, this was more like R and X canyoneering than
    anything....ever before. Stem away. Occasionally the exposure was huge, but
    often it felt like the easier parts of Sandthrax...and an absolute delight as we
    laughed our way up the route, with pure joy. You like stemming corners? Try this
    one on! A slab pitch at the top finished the show.

We hung for hours on top. Then descended and drove toward the Valley. Then hiked
    to the base of Fairview Dome. It didn't look so bad after all! Tom was due in at
    that evening. A pizza at the famed Mobil Station in Lee Vining killed some time
    while we waited. One more day of climbing to go. The SE Buttress of Cathedral
    and the famed Eichorn Pinnacle awaited.
    You can see the Great White Book, from below in pictures 34-36. Crazy fun stuff

https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14...okJuly25th2011

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great White Book! Great route. Stately Pleasure is loaded with fun stuff.

B-b-but...uhh, didn't anyone tell you gumbies that no one climbs in the Meadows with backpacks? Ha ha.

Name:  Tuolumne 8-07_015&#46.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  187.1 KB

Nice long approach, eh?

Casual!

Cheers, and, I miss Tuolumne...

[QUOTE=Brian in SLC;468044]Great White Book! Great route. Stately Pleasure is loaded with fun stuff.

B-b-but...uhh, didn't anyone tell you gumbies that no one climbs in the Meadows with backpacks? Ha ha.

Name:  Tuolumne 8-07_015&#46.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  187.1 KB

Without backpacks? How would we find one's balance point? After weeks of carrying boots, axes, crampons and USING them, it just didn't seem right to only carry toilet paper, a snack and some water. Thankfully that provided something for for us gumbies to carry.
    Ram

Toilet paper? Who carries that on a route? I guess for some of that climbing...might come in handy...ha ha.

Whoa Nellie Deli! Not bad fair for a gas station, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Toilet paper? Who carries that on a route? I guess for some of that climbing...might come in handy...ha ha.

Whoa Nellie Deli! Not bad fair for a gas station, eh?

You betcha. Scared s**tless. Actually nice country up top and summits are important. Time to wander. Our only cragging in the 20 days. Oh and I forgot to mention the cortaid. Don't leave home without it! Yeah had 4 dinners at the deli. World class decade after decade.

the great white book is an amazing route. i remember doing it in the late 70's in an old pair of eb's with my old friend and climbing partner thor keiser. i found the exposure quite exhilarating. i loved the big dihedral and the stemming. we also did the cathedral peak route on that same trip. thanks for the trip through the cobwebs down memory lane.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Very nice!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Loving these reports