Thread: Boundry Canyon out the Narrows August 12

Boundry Canyon out the Narrows August 12

My partner and I were angling for a trip through Kolob. Someone had posted an earlier trip. However, doing the minuet between the Water District and the Park Service, the chance of getting a permit seemed unpromising. The Water District indicated at midnight August 13, they planned on shutting off the water to Kolob. However, they added that there was still spill over. The Park also said no joy on a Kolob permit because of the spill over. We settled on Boundry for Friday August 12. The weather was favorably clear. Since we were at the Backcountry desk at 6:30 PM on Thursday after a long drive from LA, we asked if they happen to have any top-down permits for the Narrows. So our trip plan for Friday was settled: Boundry Canyon, exit the Narrows.

We debated on the level of cold water protection to take and settled on long sleeve neoprene rash guards tops and bottoms. We also had 3/5 hooded vests but they stayed in the packs for the day. Please note that while my partner, Jasper, looks like he is just wearing hiking clothes in the pictures, under this he is also wearing neoprene layers.

We met a Red Rock Shuttle at 6:30 AM and were deposited at the West Rim Trail at 7:45AM, and we were off. We slavishly followed Tom's description for getting into the canyon. As usual, it was right on the money. Within an hour we were staring into the head of Boundry Canyon. It had a nice flowing of water in the creek. How much exactly? Who knows? You can see from the pictures that the water was significant but not overwhelming.

The canyon was beautiful with raps that were in the water course. We replaced some webbing but for the most part, the anchors were in good condition, with a combination of natural and bolted anchors. The canyon was sweet. All too rapidly we reached the last rappel and were out of the technical portion of the canyon. The water from the Canyon was rapidly absorbed in the sand below the last rap feeding a riparian forest that continued to the junction with Kolob Creek. A significant water flow was coming from upstream. We had lunch and proceeded down canyon.

We arrived at the MIA trail exit a little before 2 PM. Tom mentioned something about a worm hole. Comparing the time needed to finish the hike out the Narrows, I now think that the MIA trail exit is the worm hole. It may look heinous, and I haven't a doubt that it is heinous but by Tom's estimate it is 3 hours up this weakness and eventually to the West Rim trail head. From this point to exit the Narrows, it took us another 7 hours of hiking.

Departing the MIA trail exit heading down stream in Kolob Creek, I was immediately struck by how exceedingly rugged this creek was. I questioned the wisdom of taking this on as a day hike. However, as they say "In for a dime, in for a dollar." Now the question was will we make it out the Narrows in time to catch the last shuttle? And how late does that shuttle run anyway? Why didn't I check that? From the MIA trail exit to the junction of the Narrows took 3 hours. The canyon did get a little easier to travel in. There were two barriers that needed to be negotiated. The first was a small water fall that was down-climbable. The second was a more significant drop that prevents bottom up hikers from getting higher up Kolob Creek. On the right side there was a No. 1 angle pounded into a drill hole and in the middle what looked like a home made bolt. We set a hand line from a pinch on the left side.

We reached to Junction of the Narrows and Kolob Creek by 5 PM and had our second lunch for the day. The section down to Big Springs went by slowly. Now it was a foot race. We had headlights but we were concerned that we might be slowed by the darkness. We began to pass overnight and day hikers from the top down. The Big Spring's photo was taken at 5:30 PM. As we passed straggling groups, we chatted with them, asked if they were drinking and eating and if they had headlights before continuing. All together there were only about 20 individuals that we passed. The daylight travelers with good sense had long since left.

Somewhere after Orderville I finally lost workable daylight. I put on my 50 lumen Petzl headlight. To my relief this made it easier to find the use trails than the twilight I had been relying on. The use trails were relatively dark from wet sand and the surrounding dry rock was white. The contrast made it very easy to find the use trails. The light was also sufficient to see for foot placement in the water. Finally I was at the exit to Mystery and shortly we walked the River Walk, boarding a shuttle at 9:15. We even managed to get dinner that night in Springdale. The last shuttle by the way is at 11 PM. I asked the driver what hikers do if they are out latter than 11PM? Answer: That's what the hard benches are for.

Final note, we were comfortable in our neo rash guards and had vests for Boundry. YMMV. Currently a full 3/2 suit is also a reasonable option. That water is cold. Dress according your own needs.

We also did Spry Canyon the next day and I will post this trip report separately.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great TR! Nice amount of running water still.

Thanks!

yeah that looks great didn't think water flowed this late in the year in boundary.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Nice TR. Kudos on doing that long but scenic slog in one day.
    Life is Good

Agreed, kudos on doing that trip in one day! I'v had the luxury of conquering the MIA exit in the snow. I swore every other trip I would exit the narrows. I'v since changed my mind when I did Eye of the Needle In November with the plan of "we'll just make it a long day" on a last minute permit through the Narrows.

First time through Kolob creek other than a dry trip to Boundry and short walk down Kolob Creek to MIA.

We knew it would be wet ( and cold), we were in 4/3 wetsuits with booties and gloves. This got us through the canyon ok but between the canyon and the long hike ( swim) down Kolob Creek we only made it about an hour away from Kolob-Narrows confluence before we could hardly walk without falling down. At this point we were freezing cold and had completely underestimated the terrain of the river not to mention were moving much slower than anticipated.

We ended up finding a sandy hole out of the wind that we could get out of the wetsuits dry off and bivy for the night. It was a long night on my sand pillow but if we would have continued it would have been an ugly situation for sure.

Honestly not a bad overnight trip just wished I would have planned on spending the night In the canyon, would have brought something to eat.

Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
    Agreed, kudos on doing that trip in one day! I'v had the luxury of conquering the MIA exit in the snow. I swore every other trip I would exit the narrows. I'v since changed my mind when I did Eye of the Needle In November with the plan of "we'll just make it a long day" on a last minute permit through the Narrows.

First time through Kolob creek other than a dry trip to Boundry and short walk down Kolob Creek to MIA.

We knew it would be wet ( and cold), we were in 4/3 wetsuits with booties and gloves. This got us through the canyon ok but between the canyon and the long hike ( swim) down Kolob Creek we only made it about an hour away from Kolob-Narrows confluence before we could hardly walk without falling down. At this point we were freezing cold and had completely underestimated the terrain of the river not to mention were moving much slower than anticipated.

We ended up finding a sandy hole out of the wind that we could get out of the wetsuits dry off and bivy for the night. It was a long night on my sand pillow but if we would have continued it would have been an ugly situation for sure.

Honestly not a bad overnight trip just wished I would have planned on spending the night In the canyon, would have brought something to eat.

Kudos
    Thanks.

November is a whole other season. I may seriously have to invest in a water tight dry suit for Kolob. At this rate, it is going to be a warm day in October before that spillover drys up enough to pry a permit out of the Park Service for Kolob. When I do get that permit, the MIA exit is the worm hole out of there for sure.

Ken