Thread: Island Lake, Uintas

Island Lake, Uintas

For the third week in a row I had an overnight backpacking trip that started at the Crystal Lake Trail Head. This time @Garbanzo went with me. We left around 4pm and got to the TH around 6:15pm. There were a few areas of road construction around Kamas that delayed our arrival.

We hadn't decided exactly where we were going to hike to, but knew we could probably make it to the Duck Lake/Island Lake trail head in a couple of hours. We made really good time, and wanted to get some cliff jumping in so we headed up to Island Lake. We got up there around 8pm. There were a lot of people, mainly scout groups up there so we trekked around the lake for a campsite. We found one just 30 feet from where everyone cliff jumps.

We got the fire going so we could get some good coals as Garbanzo and I both packed up steaks. The moon was one of the brightest I had seen in a while. We ate around 10, chatted some more and crashed. Garbanzo left his rainfly off his tent and I left my tarp off my hammock. It dipped into the low 40's.

I woke up the next morning well rested and ready to check the water out. As usual I had Krusteaz blueberry pancakes with bacon bits in them. We went and hung out by the water and saw a teenager swim from around the east side, he wanted to jump from some of the lower points, but was too afraid and eventually climbed out.

We jumped in the water to get used to it before jumping off the high cliff. Sure it was cold, but bearable at least. Garbanzo had his GoPro on his hiking pole and I had my waterproof Olympus on mine. And we got to the edge, all of the kids on the otherside starting chanting jump. He went first and I went shortly after. Let's just say I didn't stick the landing. I was so focused on getting the video I forgot to lock my legs together and nailed my left cheek pretty good. I still enjoyed the jump though. Garbanzo jumped one more time, then we broke camp and left around 11am.

We hiked by Duck Lake, then Pot Lake, Weir Lake and met back up with Long Lake and headed out. We got back to the trailhead around 1:30p. This time we had a cooler with some chocolate milk in it (best recovery drink ever). We were wore out, but had a great time. I had a work party that I was hosting and needed to start on that around 5pm, so I was glad that we got out when we did. We stopped by the Provo River Falls for a few minutes, then headed on our way.

I'm taking my Varsity Scout group up to Fish Haven canyon on Thursday of this week. Work the weekend after, then over Labor Day weekend I have a trip up to the Red Castle Lakes with a bunch of friends. Now to plan some other trips through September.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here is a video that Garbanzo put together.

Nice little excursion. Went up Bald Mtn yesterday. We usually go later, know I know why, the bugs were fiece. Looks like a great little trip though!

@Garbanzo's footage is cool. That area looks pretty nice. My blisters still haven't healed from a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    @Garbanzo's footage is cool. That area looks pretty nice. My blisters still haven't healed from a week ago.
    Blisters? Wearing cotton socks? I always pack mole skin with me in case of such a thing, but I never have seemed to use it. I wear a merino wool blend and I have never had a blister since I changed to those when I was in Alaska, that was in 2005.

Looks like a nice trip. Weather looked sweet. Nice cliff jump, water cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Looks like a nice trip. Weather looked sweet. Nice cliff jump, water cold?
    Thanks!!! We got in the water before we jumped in and it was quite 'bear'able....cold, but bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Hope they heal up soon, I'm planning on more trips throughout September. Cliff diving included

We missed you guys by a day! We did the exact same route as you but we camped on the east side of Island and had NO IDEA about that cliff being jumpable. Although we did look at it across the lake and wonder. Guess I have to go back now...

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    We missed you guys buy a day! We did the exact same route as you but we camped on the east side of Island and had NO IDEA about that cliff being jumpable. Although we did look at it across the lake and wonder. Guess I have to go back now...
    Definitely worth it. I didn't run any gps, so I'll be borrowing your maps and files when you get them up!!!

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    Definitely worth it. I didn't run any gps, so I'll be borrowing your maps and files when you get them up!!!
    9.04 miles for us. 4.2 in via Long and 4.8 out via Duck-Pot-Weir.
    Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=mymap,214533597045798101523.0004aa8375b4722996a9b&t=t2

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...722996a9b&t=t2