Thread: Rockfall Trailhead--Upper Black Box--San Rafael

Rockfall Trailhead--Upper Black Box--San Rafael

Our group was headed down next weekend and I was just wondering if anyone knows how long the rappel is? I want to make sure we have enough rope.

Also, I just checked the flow rate, and today it was down to 80 cfs and slowly dropping. If it is still above 50 by next week, what are the risks involved with doing the short route with the water this high?

Thanks everyone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The rappel is said to be 100 feet, but I remember it being a little longer. I would bring 150 foot rope.

Personally, I would not do the Black Boxes at above 50 cfs.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks Scott P for the info.

I just checked again and it's down to 74 cfs today--I've got my fingers crossed--it's gonna be close as long as the weather holds out.

Looks like we are going to have to postpone our trip, storm came through yesterday and the river spiked last night at 200 cfs and there is no way it will drop to 50 now... Now I get to come up with an alternative.

The Black Box might not drop below 50 cfs this year.

Every time I open Bogley I see that beautiful waterfall in Kanarra right in front of my face--it didn't take us long to come up with an alternative. Looks like an awesome canyon and we're going to check it out this weekend. Can't wait.

I was hoping to do the Black Box over Labor Day.... but the canyon gods are just not seeing things my way.

Name:  09328500..jpg
Views: 242
Size:  169.6 KB