Thread: Mount Sneffels

Mount Sneffels

Saturday, August 6, 2011

This morning I set out with my friend Jackson to climb my second 14er (after climbing Handies Peak last year). We got a very early start and drove to the upper trailhead in Yankee Boy Basin. Unfortunately, about halfway up, Jackson started not feeling so well and had to turn around. I continued on by myself to the summit (well, there were plenty of other people on the trail with me). There were a few sections that scared me a bit, but I was able to face my fears and continue to the top
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great trip report! I'm heading into Yankee Boy Basin myself, if all things go well next month. I won't be climbing Sneffels though. Do all the roads look driveable up in the basin?

So pretty up there! Congrats on making your goal Randy! That's always a great feeling.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Do all the roads look driveable up in the basin?
    What do you mean by drivable? I drove to the upper trailhead where I started the hike from....it was drivable :)
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

looks fantastic.
    signature

The new Silver Pick/Rock of Ages trailhead is now open. Might want to put Wilson Peak at the top of your list for next year or heck, go for it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    What do you mean by drivable? I drove to the upper trailhead where I started the hike from....it was drivable :)
    I meant is there still a lot of snow around up there, covering some of the roads. My goal is to explore the area via the roads, since my wife will be with me who is gravely ill and can't hike.

I think your main problem is going to be mud. If you have a good 4wd you should be ok, but that can change at a moments notice.

Very cool. Congrats. Glad you didn't hit any famous San Juan August thunderstorms. We were up there a few years ago and it rained the whole time. We hiked up just to the first flat area with scree.

Driving is pretty straight forward but there are is one road (to the North I believe) once you are up in the basin that looked pretty knarly to drive up. There was an old mine way up there that looked rad though. It would be cool to see.

Nice pictures! I climbed this in 2008 with a couple friends in late june when the basin was still full of snow. We had to start much lower than normal and we got pretty off route and ended up making it about halfway up Gilpen Peak before we realized that we were looking across the valley at Sneffels! Of course that explained the extremely rotten rock and difficulty route finding we were having! We bailed on plans for SW Ridge and climbed the standard route instead. It was still a lot of fun and I learned some good lessons about the mountains.

Thanks for the post - I grew up just down the valley from Sneffels. We've spent a lot of time around Yankee Boy and I haven't been there in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Great trip report! I'm heading into Yankee Boy Basin myself, if all things go well next month. I won't be climbing Sneffels though. Do all the roads look driveable up in the basin?
    When I was in high school I took my dad's Geo Metro up Yankee boy basin, past the falls, and within a mile of the trailhead. I'm not saying it was good for the car... but it was possible...

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum