Thread: Bridal Veil Falls

Bridal Veil Falls

So Cliff, JJ, Dustin, Sarah and I went to check out bridal veil falls yesterday. There is a lot of water coming down. From the parking area it doesn't look like much but you get up close and it's a lot. We went up to the upper falls and rappelled down a dinky 15 footer to warm up and then we got to the first big drop. I started down and that water was hitting hard. My neck still hurts a bit today. It was pushing very hard and feeding the rope through was challenging. It was a bit scary. I got to the bottom fine though and called everybody else off. They walked around the edge and back down. Too much water for our group. We dropped to the lower falls and that one looked like it would be even worse, so we just rapped down the side of it. I'm not sure how much is normally coming down but that was a lot! I've done Pleiades in normal flow and rocky mouth in high flow, but this was a lot worse. We might go check it out in another month or so but I think I'll want a bit more class c experience before I head back. Here's some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    - Gavin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! I am so going to do this some day.
    Life is Good

what's your route up to the top falls? can you get up to where the old tram went? can you bag cascade peak from that route?

good stuff

Blog Entries
    Yea, another person did it! Scary stuff huh? That's still raging and a noob would definitely have a LOT of difficulty in its current state.

My friend posted our bridal veil pic for the contest. Good stuff.

When you climbed to the top of the top tier, did you take the "chute" up?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We took the chute, which is to the right when you're looking at the falls. There were cables (I assume from the old restaurant and the tram) all the way up for handlines. Going up wasn't too bad, but coming down that way was pretty sketchy.
    --Cliff

Awesome, looks like a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by ghawk View Post
    I'm not sure how much is normally coming down but that was a lot!
    I rapped off Bridal Veil last season and it looks like there's about twice as much flow this year at about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    I rapped off Bridal Veil last season and it looks like there's about twice as much flow this year at about the same time.
    Yeah I was just checking Jmans trip report from last year and judging by the pics there is a lot more water coming down that thing this year. I wouldn't recommend doing that right now unless you've got a lot of class C experience under your belt. There's just a lot of things that could go wrong. Very few ways to help somebody out in an emergency situation. I'd wait for it to calm down a bit.
    - Gavin

her's Jmans report for comparison.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...vo-Canyon-Utah
    - Gavin

By the way, for those who are having trouble reading it, that sign says "Climbing and hiking beyond this point is strictly prohibited." Oops.

Nice pix. That does look dodgy.

Just wondering, What did you use for an anchor? Last year I wrapped a sling around a rock and bush on right looking down. It was about 15' from the edge.

Those pics are awesome man! I don't have class C exp either so I bow to your greatness.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    Just wondering, What did you use for an anchor? Last year I wrapped a sling around a rock and bush on right looking down. It was about 15' from the edge.
    For the upper falls, the one I rappelled down the falls direct, we used a sling that someone else had placed and was in good condition (others must have successfully gotten down this year. (Like I said, doable with good experience, but don't go if you don't have a good amount of class C experience. I've got a fair bit and it still made me pretty nervous, definitely not something I felt like my group could handle right now). It was on left side looking down and was around a strong root system of a large bush or tree. It was also about 15 feet back but was extended close to the edge of the falls. No sense in leaving behind our webbing. For the lower falls we set up on right side looking down, but like I said we just rapped down next to the falls because it felt like too much water for us. We set it up around some smallish bushes on that side. I went back up afterwards and cleared the webbing because it was near the trail and I didn't want to leave it out and ruin people's experience.
    - Gavin