Thread: Mussel ticket-OOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH

Mussel ticket-OOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHH

I just got greased to the tune of $1500. I was down to Powell in May on a Canyoneering trip and got a Mussel ticket on a jet ski we took. On this trip we had my ski boat and a jet ski that we had borrowed from a neighbor. We had the boat Mussel checked but had a brain fart and did not get the jet ski inspected. We were hauling the jet ski in the front of my enclosed trailer and did not think about it. Just lifted it out and set it in the lake. Needless to say the US Attorney for this area just informed me that I can either pay $1,500 now or take my chances in court and pay $2,500 plus up to 6 months in the slammer if I do not prevail. Maybe it is just me but this seems a LITTLE steep. I even had a notorized letter from the owner of the jet ski stating that the jet ski had not been on a body of water for 2 years. They could care less what the situation was just give us your money. Has anyone else had this experience or heard of someone getting one of these tickets? I haven't pleaded either way yet but I feel like a greasing is coming my way.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I just got greased to the tune of $1500. I was down to Powell in May on a Canyoneering trip and got a Mussel ticket on a jet ski we took. On this trip we had my ski boat and a jet ski that we had borrowed from a neighbor. We had the boat Mussel checked but had a brain fart and did not get the jet ski inspected. We were hauling the jet ski in the front of my enclosed trailer and did not think about it. Just lifted it out and set it in the lake. Needless to say the US Attorney for this area just informed me that I can either pay $1,500 now or take my chances in court and pay $2,500 plus up to 6 months in the slammer if I do not prevail. Maybe it is just me but this seems a LITTLE steep. I even had a notorized letter from the owner of the jet ski stating that the jet ski had not been on a body of water for 2 years. They could care less what the situation was just give us your money. Has anyone else had this experience or heard of someone getting one of these tickets? I haven't pleaded either way yet but I feel like a greasing is coming my way.

Mark
    My Dad got one last year on the gorge.. He fought it.. paid 2K in the end.. He had forgotten to put the tag in the windshield of the tow vehicle
    I can see why the tickets are so steep.. can you imagine what it will cost to try to clean them little buggers out of a lake? environmental impact etc..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Well, my friend, YOU screwed up bad....

I see the reasoning behind the stiff enforcement.

It really sucks and I feel for ya, but you have no chance of winning,imo

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    On a side note, if I was on a trip with someone who provided this equipment and they just screwed up and missed the cert., I would feel a responsibility to help you with the ticket cost.

But thats just me............

Bloody hell that sucks....and I was whining about my traffic ticket and traffic school fees. But that ain't nothing on this...

We have always been checked just off of the freeway or at the body of water that we would launch on while driving to the destination. I am suprised that it didn't job someones memory of the other watercraft at one of these check points. Good luck. the fine seems a bit steep to me. My first and last time experience at Lake powell was terrible. $160.00 fine for not buying a 4.00 stamp to fish the Arizona side of the lake. We had inquired about a stamp and was told that we didn't need one. We got the ticket anyway and was told that it was our responsibilty to read the law and not the seasonal help that mislead us.

man that sucks, I guess I will use it as a good reminder to not have a brain fart myself..

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I'd fight it, everyone makes mistakes.