Thread: Outdoor Photo Expo and Outdoor Retailer- Day 2, Aug 2011

Outdoor Photo Expo and Outdoor Retailer- Day 2, Aug 2011

This was my birthday, and after a really cool first day at the photo expo and OR, I was thinking it was gonna be a hard time to top that. Arrived at the Photo Expo at 8 am and had an very interesting seminar with who does cowboy portraiture in all natural light. All these photographers were not photoshop geniuses, they had very simple post processes, and they emphasized being more passionate about your photography, and having fun with it. After the seminar was over, I headed over to Denny's for my free birthday grand slam. Then it was off to Outdoor Retailer. I decided to spend a bit more time seeing the new gear and taking advantage of the swag that was being given out. I made my way over to the Contour HD booth, and met one of the national sales managers. After a bit a chit chatting, She put up from the record breaking day this season at Snowbird. It was on a 6 HD screen video set up at OR, and it drew quite a crowd over to their booth. After a bit, she decided to get my info, and hooked me up with a free waterproof case for my 1080 HD cam. Stoked! Those are not cheap. After a great visit, I moved on and raped in the goods from all over the place. Sierra Designs has a new sleeping bag that is vertical baffles, 900 fill down, 15 degree rated, and weighs 1 lb 2 oz. Powerbar is making a gummy that tastes like coca cola gummy bottles, but has a whole shot of caffeine in them. I took those with us over the weekend and the crew was sold on them. All in all, it was Outdoor Retailer as usual, and there was lots to see. It seems that the neon 80's colors dominated the clothing lines, and that there was lots of new tech out there to be tested. My final seminar of the evening was with the Photo Editor for Backpacker Magazine. She had some great tips and ways to market yourself, and I had a nice chat after with her and she took my business card and put me on the "add list." Stoked! It was a great birthday, and I did not get to stay for the festivities afterwards because I was heading out to the Uintas for the weekend. Good times, can't wait until next year!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Those pics are beautiful. Someday I wish to set foot on that sacred ground. Awesome news on getting your card out there. You take some great pics.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Those pics are beautiful. Someday I wish to set foot on that sacred ground. Awesome news on getting your card out there. You take some great pics.
    Thanks Jaxx. That means a lot.

I was using my phone at OR because some retailers get a bit touchy about you photographing their new product that are not out yet. The photos I put up I asked the retailer for permission, or I was just taking shots that were not someones face or violating their product confidentiality. Camelbak was very kind in letting me put up photos of their new bottle. Looks pretty sweet. I think this is going to be on the list of things I get in the future. I loved being back there, and the Photo Expo was awesome too.

Sweet! Thanks for the report.

was it julia vandenoever from backpacker who did the presentation? she's been pretty cool in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    was it julia vandenoever from backpacker who did the presentation? she's been pretty cool in my experience.
    I am thinking that is the other photo editor that Genny Fullerton was talking about. Genny was awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nebz View Post
    Thanks Jaxx. That means a lot.

I was using my phone at OR because some retailers get a bit touchy about you photographing their new product that are not out yet. The photos I put up I asked the retailer for permission, or I was just taking shots that were not someones face or violating their product confidentiality. Camelbak was very kind in letting me put up photos of their new bottle. Looks pretty sweet. I think this is going to be on the list of things I get in the future. I loved being back there, and the Photo Expo was awesome too.
    Not to be picky, but most exhibitors are wholesalers. And most buyers are retailers. I am guessing you had a buyers pass. Most exhibitors will spend more time talking to someone they think can influence the buy for the specific shop. Not so much with an exhibitor badge.
    I have always thought it would be a great idea to open the show to the general public for one day at the end, but I guess it is too expensive for most of the exhibitors to justify.
    Glad you had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    Not to be picky, but most exhibitors are wholesalers. And most buyers are retailers. I am guessing you had a buyers pass. Most exhibitors will spend more time talking to someone they think can influence the buy for the specific shop. Not so much with an exhibitor badge.
    I have always thought it would be a great idea to open the show to the general public for one day at the end, but I guess it is too expensive for most of the exhibitors to justify.
    Glad you had a good time.
    I had an Exhibitor Pass, but still wanted to be respectful when taking photos. It was a lot of fun for sure!