Thread: Waterproof camera for canyons?

Seems to work!

Name:  Pete..jpg
Views: 298
Size:  257.4 KB

Video is nice. Reasonable sound. Fun!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I bought the Panasonic TS-3 based on the recommendations in this thread. Took it thru Keyhole, The Subway, Boltergeist and Pine Creek this weekend and it did really well. I kept it in my pocket and had a bit of trouble with water and fog on the lens, but was usually able to find a dry spot on my shirt to wipe it off. I will definitley be investing in a pelican box for my next trip, but no water manged to get into the camera even though it was in and out of the water many times. I also dropped the camera about 5 feet into a dry pot hole in Pine Creek, and then managed to drop it again in the same pot hole while trying to put it back in my pocket, I am special! But luckily the camera came out without any problems or noticable scratches, so its durabilty claims are legit so far. So far I like the camera and will be posting some pics in a trip report soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Still nervious about the lens getting wet, and, wiping it. Will try the spatula squeegee thing, and, will also probably carry some type of damp lens cleaner (the kind for eyeglasses, like a wet wipe). I could imagine with a bunch of wiping, eventually, that lens cover will get scratched. Do folks ever put on a protective film cover (like on the back screen)? Any idears?
    I was curious about putting a protective film cover over the lens cover also, but wasnt sure if it would effect the picture quality or not. Anybody know?

Koen keeps a small piece of chamois (3x5, 4x6?) tied with a string around the middle, to the camera. then he just squeezes the chamois dry and wipes the lense, for each water picture setting. since he only does water canyons, i'm guessing it works, he takes a lot of pictures/video.

Used Dan's recommendation of a rubber spatula cut to fit the lens cover: perfect.

As an eye glass wearer, I know that when I wipe my lenses they eventually get scratched.

Camera worked well. No lens foggage, but, I kept it in a dry case the whole time. Misty falls got a few droplets on the lens, but, no problemo. Just gave 'er the ol' spatula treatment.

Name:  Oak LeAnn..jpg
Views: 236
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  Oak Mike..jpg
Views: 241
Size:  116.6 KB

Middle Oak Creek in Ouray last weekend...
    Last edited by Brian in SLC; 08-23-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add photo caption

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdam View Post
    I was curious about putting a protective film cover over the lens cover also, but wasnt sure if it would effect the picture quality or not. Anybody know?
    definitely a bad idea. you only want optical grade glass in front of the lens, ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Used Dan's recommendation of a rubber spatula cut to fit the lens cover: perfect.

As an eye glass wearer, I know that when I wipe my lenses they eventually get scratched.

Camera worked well. No lens foggage, but, I kept it in a dry case the whole time. Misty falls got a few droplets on the lens, but, no problemo. Just gave 'er the ol' spatula treatment.
    awesome. glad to hear it worked out. good to see you this weekend too, shame i was too hungover to get up for portland before you left. we ran middle and lower oak this morning. great canyons!

more spatula treatment in oak-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Whoa, awesome. Photoshop that rope into a Canyonero and we are SET!!!

Tom

I can't compete!

Name:  Ouray Amy..jpg
Views: 232
Size:  164.5 KB

Ivan's Tail in Ouray. Ram's daughter Amy...fun stuff.

I need to figure out the light better...seems to like light, and, I haven't figured out how to take a stop out without trying to spot meter off something. Hints? Also, I get too much motion. I guess I need to figure out how to hold it more steady, or, if there's a motion control setting on the camera, figure out how to turn it on...

http://goo.gl/AKd7Q

New olympus camera w/25-100mm equivalant F2.0-4.9 zoom lens

waterproof cameras

Recently bought the new Panasonic TS-4. Pretty much the same as the old models, but supposed to have a new panorama feature. Haven't actually tried it out yet, though. Took it through Choprock (in relatively dry conditions) and performed fine- no leaks and great color in the pictures. Was pretty careful with it, but no problems.

Did fog up when I stuck it in my wetsuit, but a few minutes in the air cleared it up. Also, a dip in the water has (so far) been able to clear up water spots on the lens.

Oh, and I keep mine in a micro-fiber bag for glasses which has kept it scratch free til this point. If it's clean and dry, works well for cleaning the lens, too.

Had a friend with the Sony DSC TX-10. Would have looked into it, but it's water depth allowance is not up to par. Absolutely GREAT panorama feature- just pan the camera across the scene.

That Olympus camera looks like it could have potential.

Great pic of Oak, Dan.