Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof camera for canyons?

Waterproof camera for canyons?

Ok, time to drag this topic up again.

What do folks recommend for a watery descent? I hate to get a waterproof box for my camera, and, would prefer to just get a waterproof point and shoot. One that would shoot some video too, would be nice.

Also, usable in dark or very low light. Ie, maybe a good flash? Or a setting for low light?

Recommendations?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That Panasonic looks great.

Any places for a good price?

i haven't looked too closely lately, but anything around $300 is good. i've never seen it on sale, and since it's pretty new, i doubt it will be anytime soon. if you can find the older ts2, it is equally good, and sometimes can be cheaper.

Blog Entries
    I've been eyeing that panasonic for awhile now. Do you own it Dan?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

i don't, but lots of guys i canyon with do. it will be my next point and shoot camera, if i go that route. waterproof and wide angle lens, and the image quality seems good. mmac on here has one.

Well, I have spent a *little* time developing an opinion on this... started out with an early version of the Olympus Stylus Tough, took okay pictures but was quite resilient and easy to use. Replaced it with an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. Better pictures, but still not something to write home about, and slow. Slow to start up, slow to take pictures. Plus didn't survive long, water leaked in. Tried newest Olympus... terribly slow, not very good. Tried Fuji XP10 I got on the cheap. Worst pictures I've ever taken. Wouldn't go near that camera again. Currently have a Panasonic TS3, got it off Amazon for $295. So far great camera. Best quality of the waterproof cameras I've tried, and for what it is surprisingly good in low light, many good shots in canyons even with no tripod, which is a huge plus. So far it's held up... got slimed in Birch Hollow and had no problems. Favorite so far.

I have been using the Cannon D10 12 megapixle and it works fantastic. water proof up to 33ft freeze proof down to 10 degrees i think and drop proof to 5ft. It did however start leaking after this last mystery canyon a couple of weeks ago. I have had it for about 2 years now and am waiting to hear how much it is to repair. I only paid $265 for it but my cousin worked at the camera shop so i did get a small discount. It shoots fast, starts right up and has a million different modes to choose from and shoots great video.
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...t_d10#Features
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Dan

I have been dying to ask what camera you do drag down canyon? Your photos are so fantastic. How do you protect it? I have nursed my leica M9 with its 21 mm f2.8 Elmarit down canyon in dry bags, but I recently broke down. I bought a water proof case for my canon S90 and will be giving that a go down Boundry on friday.

Ken

i have an s90 with housing, but rarely use it. typically take a m43 in an ortlieb waterproof chest harness. only works in canyons where it's not super wet though. boundary would be tough. you'll like the s90 setup. just make sure you take some sort of tiny squeegee to wipe the drops off the lens in the waterfalls, or it will look like a blurry mess.

Great tip on the squeegee; even just a little bit of mist and humidity can be a problem to remove once you and your clothes are all wet. I own a TS2. I love the wide angle lens. The photos aren't quite as sharp as I would like. I'm not sure if the Canon D10 would be significantly better in sharpness, but it doesn't go as wide which to me was critical.

Here's a shot from Gravel I took with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Well, I recently bought the Sony DSC TX-10 for my upcoming holiday in October:
    - waterproof 5 m
    - dust-proof
    - shock proof 1,5 m
    - Exmor sensor (high light-sensitivity sensor for low-light situations)
    - wide-angle lens (for as far as that is possible with a small camera like this)

No experience yet with this camera, but previous Sony camera's with an Exmor sensor performed outstanding for me in (dry) canyons.
    The 'but' in this camera.... it is really very small... too small? I don't know yet, however wearing gloves will make using the touch-screen hard I think.
    Last edited by maarten.1975; 08-08-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added extra info

That looks like a good option too. It goes to a 28mm equivalent as well.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    just make sure you take some sort of tiny squeegee to wipe the drops off the lens in the waterfalls, or it will look like a blurry mess.
    Great tip. I usually keep a dry synthetic towel in my dry bag and store my camera in a bag similar to what you use. However, when things get too wet it becomes unmanageable and the camera stays tucked away. I'll look around for a small squeegee.

Ken

just make sure you take some sort of tiny squeegee to wipe the drops off the lens in the waterfalls, or it will look like a blurry mess.
    Just bought a Panasonic. Can't wait to get it.

Curious how folks carry these type cameras. I usually carry my camera in a small otter/pelican box. Great for protecting the camera. I can clip it high to my pack and its available to shoot. Stuff one of them dry towel rigs in with it.

For a waterproof camera, do you still attempt to keep it dry? I'd sorta worry about wiping the lens constantly and scratching it. Is there some way to protect the lens? Or, if you wipe the outside, does the lens pop out and its clear?

Case? I guess I wouldn't be worried near as much about moisture, except I'd want the lens fairly clear.

Is there a brand of squeegee that folks prefer?

Thanks for any info!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Just bought a Panasonic. Can't wait to get it.

Curious how folks carry these type cameras. I usually carry my camera in a small otter/pelican box. Great for protecting the camera. I can clip it high to my pack and its available to shoot. Stuff one of them dry towel rigs in with it.

For a waterproof camera, do you still attempt to keep it dry? I'd sorta worry about wiping the lens constantly and scratching it. Is there some way to protect the lens? Or, if you wipe the outside, does the lens pop out and its clear?

Case? I guess I wouldn't be worried near as much about moisture, except I'd want the lens fairly clear.

Is there a brand of squeegee that folks prefer?

Thanks for any info!
    i'd still carry the protective case. i don't really trust the waterproofness of the cameras themselves.

for a squeegee, just buy a small rubber spatula, and then when you get the camera, cut it to the exact size of the lens opening. use a razorblade or something to keep it perfectly straight.

i'd still carry the protective case. i don't really trust the waterproofness of the cameras themselves.

for a squeegee, just buy a small rubber spatula, and then when you get the camera, cut it to the exact size of the lens opening. use a razorblade or something to keep it perfectly straight.
    That's a great tip!

Fun stuff. Thanks, Dan!

Just a heads up Cannon just sent me a brand new D10 because they don't do repairs on them. So mine was a year out of warrenty and the still sent me a new one for free. Pretty sweet.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Ok, got the Panasonic DMC-TS3. Nice lookin' rig. A few questions:

What do folks use for a case for these? I'm hoping it'll fit my little Pelican. Have a larger Otterbox but its bulky.

How do folks tether these? I usually replace the stock wrist cord with a neck lanyard. Will probably do that. I see that Chums makes a waterproof float for these types of cameras. Hmmm. Idears?

Still nervious about the lens getting wet, and, wiping it. Will try the spatula squeegee thing, and, will also probably carry some type of damp lens cleaner (the kind for eyeglasses, like a wet wipe). I could imagine with a bunch of wiping, eventually, that lens cover will get scratched. Do folks ever put on a protective film cover (like on the back screen)? Any idears?

How 'bout shooting under and/or in water itself. There's a mode for beach/snorkling. How's it work? What about video under water? What about jumping (yeah, the user manual warns against it)?

Probably shoot some tonight with it whilst climbing. Some of the burst modes look neat. Fast v regular? Any tips?

Anyone use the 3D mode? Wild it was a GPS and alimeter too. Crazy. I turned off the GPS mode to save batteries. Has anyone got spare batteries for it? Recommendations? I see folks have luck with the Wasabi stuff. Thoughts?

Whoo hoo! Gonna try it in Ouray this weekend...hopefully see some familiar faces there.

Cheers!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Ok, got the Panasonic DMC-TS3. Nice lookin' rig. A few questions:

What do folks use for a case for these? I'm hoping it'll fit my little Pelican. Have a larger Otterbox but its bulky.

How do folks tether these? I usually replace the stock wrist cord with a neck lanyard. Will probably do that. I see that Chums makes a waterproof float for these types of cameras. Hmmm. Idears?

Still nervious about the lens getting wet, and, wiping it. Will try the spatula squeegee thing, and, will also probably carry some type of damp lens cleaner (the kind for eyeglasses, like a wet wipe). I could imagine with a bunch of wiping, eventually, that lens cover will get scratched. Do folks ever put on a protective film cover (like on the back screen)? Any idears?

How 'bout shooting under and/or in water itself. There's a mode for beach/snorkling. How's it work? What about video under water? What about jumping (yeah, the user manual warns against it)?

Probably shoot some tonight with it whilst climbing. Some of the burst modes look neat. Fast v regular? Any tips?

Anyone use the 3D mode? Wild it was a GPS and alimeter too. Crazy. I turned off the GPS mode to save batteries. Has anyone got spare batteries for it? Recommendations? I see folks have luck with the Wasabi stuff. Thoughts?

Whoo hoo! Gonna try it in Ouray this weekend...hopefully see some familiar faces there.

Cheers!
    DPReview just came out with a group test: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311...pactgrouptest/

Panasonic on top, along with the Sony TX10.

Thinkin' o' gettin' one myself.

Tom