Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orderville Permits

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I'm not sure on their logistics, but hopefully they will know. Besides it's not like the rangers will be in those canyons...lol. They ONLY check the subway. I have never seen rangers or been asked for permits other than the subway. I've hear of stories of people being checked at the top of mystery and that's about it.
    Uh, well... I'm just lucky I guess. Or I make myself a big target. I've been checked here and there, now and again... Top of Pine Creek a LOT, Subway once in a while, Mystery, Spry, Keyhole, ...

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I'm not sure on their logistics, but hopefully they will know. Besides it's not like the rangers will be in those canyons...lol. They ONLY check the subway. I have never seen rangers or been asked for permits other than the subway. I've hear of stories of people being checked at the top of mystery and that's about it.
    Surely you jest. I have encountered rangers in Spry on occasion, and was once stopped by a Protection Ranger when getting to the car at the end of Spry (different trip).

I would imagine they arent in the canyons everyday, but i guarantee they are there in some capacity.

Fun fact, though, I have never been asked for my permit in the Subway...

I have yet to be asked for my permit in or around any canyon. Now granted, I don't have anywhere near the canyon days in Zion that many of you have (prob. 10-15 including Subway, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Spry to name a few that have been brought up in this thread), but maybe I just have good ranger karma .

So, if you want that wilderness experience without being questioned by a ranger, give me a holler. I am happy to join in on your trip

I don't think I have ever done the Subway without being checked, sometimes at both the top and bottom. I've been checked in Pine Creek many times, checked in keyhole, and at the entrance slide for life into Mystery once.

And if you really want to piss the rangers off climb North Gaurdian (Wildcat Trailhead, same as the Subway) and refuse to show the ranger a permit or tell them where you are going. I know the ranger was positive we were going to poach the Subway and it got kinda ugly. But because we were not canyoneering I'm not required to share my plans with the ranger.... talk about invasion of privacy and destroying my wilderness experiance....

Quote Originally Posted by ilipichicuma View Post
    But granted, I was sitting on the side of the road with all of my gear nearby. If you don't make yourself a likely target, you probably don't have to worry about it.
    This is perhaps my biggest beef. YOU ARE NOT A TARGET BECAUSE YOU HAVE A ROPE (or any other gear for that matter). What is it that you have done illegally? What are you about to do illegal that would give them any cause for concern? There is no reasonable suspicion that would give them cause to ask you for your papers. NONE. How would society react if you could get pulled over because you may not have your drivers license on you? Even if you rappel out of a canyon you shouldn't be stopped. Even if you get out of your car at the trailhead of the Subway you shouldn't be stopped. Because you are going to hike or canyoneer does NOT make you a suspected criminal worth of being stopped and required to dig through your pack for your papers.
    Life is Good

Back to the original purpose of the thread for a moment...

Just checked the Backcountry Reservations page and 3 permits for Orderville opened up for Saturday! I nabbed those, now to find 2 more...

Quote Originally Posted by skiclimb3287 View Post
    Back to the original purpose of the thread for a moment...
    Sorry, I have issues....

Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Sorry, I have issues....
    No worries...anything to distract me from work

Pretty sure I learned the "If you want Scott Card involved in a thread, push this button."

It's Thurs at 9:00 and the walk ups for Friday are gone already.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    It's Thurs at 9:00 and the walk ups for Friday are gone already.
    9:00?! I checked at 7:28 this morning and they were gone then! Also gone at that time was Subway (Of course) and Mystery. Maybe all groups arriving tomorrow will be large and there will be a straggling 2 permits left when we hit the Kolob VC...

Yeah I don't wake up that early sorry bro.

Well, 9am today and there are 4 walk ups left. Better than yesterday...but not much. Odds that 2 will be left this evening? Slim to none I would guess. Can't hit the road for another few hours. Passing the time at work by obsessively watching the reservations page...

10:15, 1 left...

Check your PM though, I got an idea for ya.