Thread: desolation wilderness

desolation wilderness

from a nice warm, soft bed in reno ( and some awesome duck curry ! ) we day hiked some in the desolation wilderness. very mellow and beautiful area.

full album - http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580694006BFAVpn

eagle lk ?

velma lks ?

dicks lk

crystal range from lk aloha

lk aloha

tamarack lk ?

signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    Wow, this place looks awesome. All that bare rock to hike across, it's like hiking in the desert in the mountains.
    Blog | FB

Incredible places you've been visiting this summer.

Nice shots. Yes, Desolation is pretty cool. The whole area around Lake Aloha is a big valley in which the altitude doesn't change very much but where there are are tons of lakes and ponds. Aloha itself is enormous and very shallow with lots of little islands and inlets. It's very easy to wander off trail and find your own private lake. Desolation is fun in winter/spring too. If you go in there on skis or snowshoes and camp there is no one around at all and some nice skiable terrain.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Wow, this place looks awesome. All that bare rock to hike across, it's like hiking in the desert in the mountains.
    yeah, nice open terrain that allows one to find a private spot to dip their toes it they want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    signature

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Nice shots. Yes, Desolation is pretty cool. The whole area around Lake Aloha is a big valley in which the altitude doesn't change very much but where there are are tons of lakes and ponds. Aloha itself is enormous and very shallow with lots of little islands and inlets. It's very easy to wander off trail and find your own private lake. Desolation is fun in winter/spring too. If you go in there on skis or snowshoes and camp there is no one around at all and some nice skiable terrain.
    i was thinking it would be a fun spot for pretty easy winter access. desolation basin would be much different tho if the man made dams were absent. w/out those, we'd probably see many many many little tarns nestled in many many many little rocky bowls
    signature

Awesome photos!!! Love the blue color of the water! Thanks for sharing!

This looks awesome!
    I'm writing this one down for my next trip to the States.

Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    i was thinking it would be a fun spot for pretty easy winter access. desolation basin would be much different tho if the man made dams were absent. w/out those, we'd probably see many many many little tarns nestled in many many many little rocky bowls
    I've only done one ski trip there. Mt Tallac is a popular day trip for backcountry skiers. Instead of taking the normal route up to the top and skiing back to the TH we went around its shoulder and descended the other side to Gilmore Lake. We camped there two nights and did day trips to the peaks and bowls around the area. This is all only a few miles from the TH and in summer would hardly seem like anything really remote. In winter, we never saw anyone past the normal front side of Mt. Tallac.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Nice TR! Takes me back to my teenage years, when my Boy Scout Troop did a 50-mile / week-long hike through the Desolation Wilderness! I fondly remember the names of those lakes, too! Dicks Lake, Velma Lakes, Lake Aloha, etc. Great times with some life-long friends. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with your photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    Nice TR! Takes me back to my teenage years, when my Boy Scout Troop did a 50-mile / week-long hike through the Desolation Wilderness! I fondly remember the names of those lakes, too! Dicks Lake, Velma Lakes, Lake Aloha, etc. Great times with some life-long friends. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with your photos!
    you're very welcome.
    signature