Thread: Looking for quality car camping (not in a campground) in the Uintas

Looking for quality car camping (not in a campground) in the Uintas

I'm hoping the forum can provide me with some recommendations. I'm fairly new to Utah, and don't have a lot of knowledge of the Uintas. Normally, my wife and I would just pack our bags and backpack in somewhere, however we're looking for something different. I work full time and attend college part time, and I've just finished my summer classes. It's been a very busy summer with no time off, so we are looking to get away for the weekend with the whole family. This includes myself, my wife, a 3 year old daughter, an infant daughter, and two lazy dogs. We're usually not much for car-camping, but since we'll be bringing the kids, we don't want to have to travel far from the vehicle. I have a capable Toyota Tacoma 4x4, and I don't really care for established campgrounds and the hoards of people. Basically, I'm looking for someplace we can avoid the masses and be (pretty much) alone while still having reasonable access to the vehicle (and preferably this wouldn't involve listening to ATV's all day). I'm not against hiking in somewhere, but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting more than a mile or two away from the vehicle in case we had any trouble. I also hope to provide my daughters with pleasant outdoor experiences so that they may enjoy it more as they grow. I'd like to be able to go fishing, and ideally we could have a few short day hikes from our camping spot. We're probably looking at doing this the weekend of August 19-21.

Also, just so it is understood, although I don't have much knowledge of the Uintas in particular I would consider myself a capable outdoorsman. I grew up "roughing it", spent over 6 years in the Army, and have had numerous hikes around Utah as well as numbers in other states. I'm not afraid of mosquitoes and ticks, I can shoot an azimuth and I have plenty of high-quality gear. I don't say this for the sake of my ego, but only so I don't get treated with kid gloves.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If you go up on the East side of Strawberry Res. there is a little turnoff called Onion Creek I believe. Head up there till you find a remote enough spot to make you happy. We were there over a holiday this summer and only heard 2 - 4 wheelers the entire time. This puts you close to Strawberry for great fishing, close enough to civilization if you need something, and is not that much of a haul out of SL.

Echo Lake or Alexander Lake are both nice places that you can get back to. Both are located off the 150 Hwy.

You could look at Murdock Basin, up toward Whitney Reservoir, up Soapstone, or at the top of Wolf Creek Pass. There's good camping up all of them.

But, somewhere along the north slope road might be your best option.

Thanks for the replies people, they sound great. Echo lake sounds like it might be ideal. Uintahhiker, where are those places? I've found the Murdoch basin and North Slope Road, but not the others. I don't need gps coordinates, just something to give me a clue where to start looking on google earth. Also, does anyone have any short day hikes to recommend? I'm sure there are more than enough, but are there any that really stand out to you guys; the best bang for your buck type hikes? Keep in mind I'd probably have the 3 year old in a kid-carrier pack and I'd be hand carrying the infant, so I'd prefer to avoid significant scrambles and the like.

Echo lake is up the Murdock Basin road.

Wolf Creek Pass is between Woodland and Hanna.

Soapstone is about 14 miles up the Mirror Lake Highway from Kamas- it's off to the south. It is in the area between the Wolf Creek Pass road and the Mirror Lake Highway.

Whitney Reservoir is near Gold Hill. It's in the general area of the Bear River on the north slope, but west of the highway.

On murdock basin - you want to go to some of those far off lakes (i prefer hoover lake) to avoid people. hoover lake: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Murdoc...BFk-Q&t=h&z=14

murdock sees a ton of atv traffic but the couple of times i've driven up to hoover lake to camp you are 99% clear of them. the road going up there gets pretty nasty - but doable with a good 4x4...its remote, quiet, beautiful, and of course stocked lake. it would be a sold place. you park your car at the end of the short road up to the lake and then hike in about 75 yards and there is a perfect camp right next to the lake.
    "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi