Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prints, File Size, and Image Quality

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    That's seems pretty expensive.
    You can buy 1000 gigs for $100 and your stuff is right there with an external drive. I can see an advantage in off site storage if you are worried about theft, water or fire damage.
    I guess it could only go wrong if you need the image and you don't have the internet.
    I see your point. I have over 2 TBs of storage at my house, and my pictures equal about 60GB, however my always traveling and online, and having my all my pictures in original size/format plus my PC programs stored on my google account is very convenient. I have so many albums of my trips (which also includes videos since google now allows uploading up to 2GB videos in a album) and it's very handy to show them off on my phone or any computer (when I'm at school, work, family or friends house) of my latest canyoneering canyon or waterfall.

Of course its not for everyone, but a person as mobile and technological as me, it's highly convenient and awesome, so I can afford the $1.66/month.

Or you could do the lowest tier of 20GB for $5/yr.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye008 View Post
    I never thought of using Flickr as online storage...that is an interesting concept. I have and onsite backup external drive and an offsite external drive but I might have to try the Flickr thing. Only thing is, I've got about 80k images I would have to load up on there... It is very easy to do from Lightroom though with the Flickr plug-in. Do you know if they have a storage limit? I think I'd have close to 1TB of files...
    Storage is unlimited, uploading with a plugin is easy. I use one through Aperture but Lightroom is no different I suspect. Uploading everything takes a while, I just did it project by project, a few a day until I was caught up. I don't upload everything I take, only photos that I've marked as having any kind of value to me, all the 'keepers'. I also keep a full off site backup of everything at my office and/or friend's house. I think of the Flickr backup as the last line of defense if I lost everything. It may not give me back EVERY photo but at least I'd have all the ones I really cared about. It's also really nice for hosting photos for my website and when I want to post something on a forum without having to upload again.

Quote Originally Posted by gnwatts View Post
    That's seems pretty expensive.
    You can buy 1000 gigs for $100 and your stuff is right there with an external drive. I can see an advantage in off site storage if you are worried about theft, water or fire damage.
    I guess it could only go wrong if you need the image and you don't have the internet.
    Tee Hee, I use 2 external 2 TB Drives for all my stuff. I spent $126 per 2 Terabyte drive. $250 Bucks for 4 TB Baby. But, I am yet to upload onto any online storage too.

The other big reason people like to upload to online is that it is accessible from anywhere. So, with my password anyone can pull files that are too large for me to email them. Its just convenience and that always has a small fee

EDIT: I didn't see there was a page 2 in this thread.... someone beat me to what I just said ha ha
    Customizable Adult & Kids shirts, onesies, and More
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CheaperThanShirt