Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 'ole Moto BogleyFest on the Paiute Trail-Sept 23-25

So Garbanzo, How's the rebuild treating you?

I am hoping well.

You do realize that I am going to be the noob on the bottom of the totem pole-right?

I have been a training hard boys but living in the Mojave means that the 60 to 80 mile small trips can only be done prior to 105* or about noonish

Man I am looking forward to this pushing myself and meeting all.

Is there still some ATV's invovled on this get together?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have ridden my bike since this weekend (July 30th): http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Highline-Trail

That's 5 weeks! I hope to ride on Monday. I have been slammed at work and most likely wont ride until this trip if I don't get out on Monday. That would be 8 weeks between rides! Bloody hell.

Sorry to here that but work is work accadacca and some of us have none.
    Put in another 65 miles in today before it got well over 100* Lost about 1/4 inch of my rear tire (dunlop 606). Very rocky on the Virgin river look out off of Black Rock area south of St. George.(VERY ROCKY).
    Can anyone give me a good idea on a tuff desert tire for big bore single? 01 XR650R with a very big tank.
    I ate up a sadona in 600 miles and this 606 is all but shoot inside 1300 miles.

I will have to get something new for the Paiute gathering and I am pretty new at this. Any and all help and I will be very greatful.

I run one of the DOT approved knobbies. You may give up a little in traction due to the rubber being stiffer but they last quite a bit longer.

YMMV

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnseeker1 View Post
    So Garbanzo, How's the rebuild treating you?
    Well, the parts are here. I should have it back by the end of next week.
    It needed a new piston, valves, cam chain and some machine work. The journals were immaculate, so no oil related failures. I guess changing it every other ride is why.
    Apparently, while I laid it down (with the engine off), a piece of weld slag made it's way into my exhaust port.
    Here is the previous post showing the original issue I had with a dent in my header. I had a local muffler shop try to fix it and, well, they screwed it up.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...a-muffler-hole

That is what caused all of the noise when I started the bike. It turns out that the slag didn't damage anything (other than embed itself into the top of the head. Had I ran my bike much more (even without the slag), I may have seized the piston. That would have been a much bigger bill!!
    So, the slag was a blessing of sorts. It's still a big bill, but you can't put a price on the fun I've had and will continue to have. BTW - each Titanium valve is $85.00 and there are 5 of them. OUCH!! Regardless, I'll be ready for the Paiute!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Glad to here that you got off easy
    So what's the difference between Ti-valves verses stock or SS valves?

Sorry to here that but work is work accadacca and some of us have none.
    Put in another 65 miles in today before it got well over 100* Lost about 1/4 inch of my rear tire (dunlop 606). Very rocky on the Virgin river look out off of Black Rock area south of St. George.(VERY ROCKY).
    Can anyone give me a good idea on a tuff desert tire for big bore single? 01 XR650R with a very big tank.
    I ate up a sadona in 600 miles and this 606 is all but shoot inside 1300 miles.

I will have to get something new for the Paiute gathering and I am pretty new at this. Any and all help and I will be very greatful.
    The 606 is a dual sport tire. Are you looking for something similiar? If so I run the Kenda 270's. They are dirt cheap and last about 8 months. On my 2-stroke I run the MX71's. They are the hardiest tire I've found for desert riding amd trust me, I've tried almost all of them. The bridgestone 704's are prety good but not nearly as long lasting as the MX71's.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I have ridden my bike since this weekend (July 30th): http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...Highline-Trail

That's 5 weeks! I hope to ride on Monday. I have been slammed at work and most likely wont ride until this trip if I don't get out on Monday. That would be 8 weeks between rides! Bloody hell.
    I haven't ridden mine since June 24th when I froze the tranny. Hoping to get it all back together this week and ride the next 2 weekends. BUT....I'm not worried, I got mad SKILLZ plus I know the trails!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    BUT....I'm not worried, I got mad SKILLZ

So what's the difference between Ti-valves verses stock or SS valves?
    About $20.00 per valve, lighter and make the starting easier. Not sure I believe the starting claim, but at this point I'm going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    About $20.00 per valve, lighter and make the starting easier. Not sure I believe the starting claim, but at this point I'm going with it.
    Titanium valves are high performance valves. They are a few grams lighter than steel, which doesn't seem like it would be much different, but when your turning 10k rpms, the reciprocating mass of titanium vs steel allows the motor to rev faster. Common mistake I see people make when switching over to steel in order to save coin is not replacing the springs with the valves. Steel requires a heavier duty spring to make up for the heavier weight. Without a heavier spring, your steel valves can "float" and come into contact with piston which it translates into mucho no bueno

Garbanzo, make sure whoever is putting your top end back together, to use a torque wrench on the cam caps. I cant count how many times I have seen ruined cylinder heads because some tool bag over-torqued the cam cap bolts

+1 on mad skills - +2 on knowing the trails - + 3 on understanding how to put them all back together
    Good Gosh I hope mine holds together like Hondas are known for
    But it is a 2001 BRP and it is all bound to happen sometime. Fingures crossed that I do not get the ed-u cation till the heat is on this next summer.

I meen after all I live next to Warner Valley and prime time is just around the corner......

I did get out today.

I just ordered a wolfman tail bag after getting a flat and forgetting my tube in my gear bag. Doh!!!

BUT...the patch held.

Yeh the 606 is the best tire I have found so far but have only had two on this bike and I already pulled the trigger on the Maxxis IT desert for both front and back.
    I'll mount just before the ride and see how they handle the rocks.
    Kenda mx71 I will note and try this winter unless I get real lucky will this tire that I have never tried before.
    DON'T DO THE SADONAS they suck. 8 hrs on the brp and they were a history baby.
    I tore knobs off on the sides and the centers wore faster than rain dries in the desert.

Buy the way iffin anyone in the future needs soft gear repairs let me know. I have a really nice upholstery machine and some time on my hands right now. You know like in between rides.

Hey accadacca, Soooooo how she runnin?
    Are you nervous? I would for at least 8 hrs.
    It's funny just what it takes to get comfortable.
    Like staying within walking distance of the truck for the first hr. or two.

So back to the theme of things here. Is anyone bringing a chain saw for camp fire duties?

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
    Garbanzo, make sure whoever is putting your top end back together, to use a torque wrench on the cam caps. I cant count how many times I have seen ruined cylinder heads because some tool bag over-torqued the cam cap bolts
    Thanks for the info. I did stay with the Ti valves. I am aware of the importance of the torque issue. My mechanic works on pro race bikes and does all of his own machine work. I'm very confident in his skills.
    Thanks again for the explanation of the difference in valves. Always good to know such things.

Garbanzo,

It's probably to late but several of my buddies have put the ZY cam in instead of the stock one. Seems to really bring the motor to life.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Garbanzo,

It's probably to late but several of my buddies have put the ZY cam in instead of the stock one. Seems to really bring the motor to life.

Mark
    Trust me...that's the last thing he needs!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!