Thread: Uinta questions: Red Castle via Hessie

Uinta questions: Red Castle via Hessie

My back pack has unavoidably been shortened from 6 days to four so I am afraid I am going to have to miss my beloved Wind Rivers this year. As pretty as the Uintas are this really pains me. I am looking for a 4 day trip in the Uintas and keep it somewhat laid back. I am considering going on the East Fork trail and then up to Hessie Lake for the first night. From there I would like to walk the ridge above Hessie and then drop down to Lower Red Castle for the next night. I may decide to do this in one day. Hows the fishing at Hessie? The ridge hike above Hessie looks very doable. Am I wrong?
    I'm not a peak bagger so not really interested in Kings Peak but would consider a loop into Smiths Fork drainage.
    Any other suggestions on above tree line hikes in the Uintas? I have been to Amethest and into Wilderness Basin several times. I have been on Crystal Lake trail a couple of times. I am looking for new country.
    Any Pics of Hessie or Bear Lake?
    Thanks for your help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

does it have to be a loop hike? how many miles do you mind doing a day? loops above treeline are pretty tough to come by in the uintas, more often need to be out and back, or sometimes with a small loop, but returning on a portion of the same trail.

i've done china meadows - red castle - smiths fork - anderson pass - gunsight pass - henry's fork - china meadows, and it makes a great 4 day trip. also some options leaving from w. fork whiterocks trailhead, going past queant into fox and dime, and kidney lakes too. stays above treeline or near it for most of the way. those are some of my favorites...

Flat top mountain is easily reached from Hessie - I have done that route to the Summit of Powell, but the ride off Flat top to Red Castle would be an incredible steep drop, and you would probably have to come off before making much progress into the Basin as Powell Peak has a lot of cliff bands. I recommend going in the Dahlgreen Ridge trail to Hessie, then go into the Smith's Fork and then come back via Bear Lake from Henry's Fork hitting the loop recommended above by CarpyBiggs, if you want to camp at Hessie. The fishing at Hessie is so-so, but check out the ponds and creeks in the area. Another good one is Little East Fork Blacks Fork around through Red Castle and back via Bald Mt. - Your 2nd day would be entirely above tree line and a good portion of days 3 & 4. The fishing in the upper Garfield basin is good as well.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Last year we took the Varsity Scouts on a 3 dayer up that way. We started at the China Meadows trail head went up through Hessie and then camped at Bear Lake. We didn't fish Hessie but the fishing at Bear Lake was good. From the China Meadows trail head to Bear Lake is about 10 miles if I remember right. You're in the trees pretty much the whole time except the meadow at the top of the ridge before you go down into Bear Lake. The first part of the trail is not bad but once you branch off of the trail that leads to Red Castle it gets really steep. There are several lakes near Bear Lake but all are below the tree line.

Thanks all for your replies. My 6 day WR trip has now become a 3 day Uinta trip. Yesterday we got an invitation for a nephew's wedding on that Thursday. It has come apart one day at a time. We will do a 3 day in and out to Red Castle and then I hope to put together another 4-5 day trip in September.