Thread: East Buttress of Mt. Whitney July 10th, 2011

East Buttress of Mt. Whitney July 10th, 2011

The difference between a Saturday and a Sunday in the High Sierra? On Saturday
    we watched groups line up for the East Buttress and got peeks of them on the
    ridge, from the lonely East Face. On Sunday, we had the entire east side of the
    mountain to ourselves, which was surreal. The East Buttress climbing was
    startling. One great pitch after the other, climbing to the sky. We relaxed our
    way through the day of 11 roped pitches, summitting at 3:30 PM. After an hour on top, we descended the Mountaineers Route again, to complete the back to back Whitney days up these fine classics. We tore down camp and headed down to Upper Boy Scout Lake, arriving in low angle sun, but bright light, positioning ourselves for Mount Russell the next day.
    Pictures?

https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14...ssJuly10201102

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    Sunday in Utah is nice! Nice photos!

Wow! Looks like so much fun. I'm envious! Nice work

Awesome photography once again! Ram, I climbed the East Buttress maybe 6 years ago with 3 friends. We did the climb in August as well. There was a whole bunch more snow in your photos than the ones we took Iceberg Lake was completely ice and snow free. Did that sailplane fly over the top of Whitney? That is so cool to see! Thanks for sharing! In Sept. I'm sponsoring a slideshow/presentation by Jack Tackle. Hope you might be in the area? I think it might be a darn good show?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    We did the climb in August as well.
    It was almost 8 years ago to the day! A couple pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Awesome photography once again! Ram, I climbed the East Buttress maybe 6 years ago with 3 friends. We did the climb in August as well. There was a whole bunch more snow in your photos than the ones we took Iceberg Lake was completely ice and snow free. Did that sailplane fly over the top of Whitney? That is so cool to see! Thanks for sharing! In Sept. I'm sponsoring a slideshow/presentation by Jack Tackle. Hope you might be in the area? I think it might be a darn good show?

Thanks for the kind words from you and everyone else. Our climb was on July 10th this year, which was a big snow year in general. That explains the abundant snow. Is a sailplane a glider? This fellow buzzed the summit for a few hours at least 2 days in a row. A bit cool, but also annoying. He stayed for a long time, I guess assuming his presence was desired and added to everyone's experience? I am in Utah in September. What date is the show? BTW the flake you have a hold of in the next post is still there ;-)
    Ram

Mt. Whitney

Some great shots. I climbed the Mountaineers Route several years ago. Obvioiusly, not as technical as East Buttress. Photos 33 and 34 look like a nice slab with some decent exposure. Very cool stuff indeed. Good job!
    [img]C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\iFolder\lstephens\Home\My Pictures[/img]

Great Post. I'd love to do the east buttress, I have done the mountaineers route as a youth and would love to make it back!! Thanks for sharing.