Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kanarra Creek

Here is a picture of the new parking area. Its not the greatest picture as I was mainly interested in the fee box and not the parking lot.

Anyhoo... you can see the port-a-johns (there were two of them) in the back corner and the picnic tables would be to your right under the cedar trees. The lot has been leveled and gravel hauled in to create an all-weather parking surface.

Name:  zparking..jpg
Views: 431
Size:  99.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    that definitely changes my opinion on paying the fee. will do so next time. thx for the info
    Huh? fine-tuned morality?

thanks, shane, for posting the photo of the parking lot and fee box. wow!

thanks for posting the photos and video too. it's a nice canyon. i remember enjoying watching the water meander through the wavy narrows. you captured that in the video

Great video and pics! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Huh? fine-tuned morality?
    as with all, that depends on the day

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    that definitely changes my opinion on paying the fee. will do so next time. thx for the info
    Selective morality? How does that work???

Curious why that would make a difference for you.

Tom (annoyingly)

I still think the fee is about $8 too much, but at the very least it seems to be going into making the parking lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylinerider View Post
    I still think the fee is about $8 too much, but at the very least it seems to be going into making the parking lot better.
    I was there today. 2 sedans in the parking lot, 5 groups in the canyon. Parking a few blocks away at the town hall is offered as a free option - looks like people are using that too.

Tom

FWIW: I forgot to mention the new parking area and trailhead also included a couple dumpsters for trash which is nice.

Wow....looks great. Is that typical runoff? I just hiked down Muddy Creek in the Swell and it was running very high for the time of year.

Excellent pics and video! Thx!
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden

PERFECT! Headed there this weekend and def going to check this out. Will I be ok without canyoneering shoes? (great pics by way)
    erin

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Erin G View Post
    Will I be ok without canyoneering shoes?
    Any shoe that you can wade in will work great. Old running shoes or cross training shoes are ideal. You will be walking in ankle deep water that gets to knee deep in a couple of places, nothing too extreme.

Welcome to Bogley.

THX for info.
    Did you commend neoprene socks for hiking in the creek in the month of April/May?
    THX for ur help.

I always wear neoprene socks when hiking in water... partly because my canyoneering shoes are oversized to work with neoprenes.

THX for sharing your experience.
    So I've to buy these socks for my Keen-style sandal.
    I hope REI has better ones in the next year, than now.

I can honestly see within the next few years a serious limitation or possibly even entry fee to enter the canyon (on top of parking). It is an amazing place and I think most of us want to keep it that way but it seems to be receiving heavy impact the last few years! Great shots though!

If you haven't already, put it on your to-do list.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by rjhooperphoto View Post
    I can honestly see within the next few years a serious limitation or possibly even entry fee to enter the canyon (on top of parking). It is an amazing place and I think most of us want to keep it that way but it seems to be receiving heavy impact the last few years! Great shots though!
    If by heavy impact you mean more visitors I agree. But the place is actually in much better condition now then it was when I first visited 10 years ago. There has been a lot of trail work in recent years that has eliminate many of the braided social trails.

When I first visited you could drive to the underground water tank. The place was a party area for local youth and was covered with lots of garbage. The place also had a lot more social trails.

Closing the road to vehicles and requiring visitor to hike the road seems to have really cleaned things up. I call it a riff-raff barrier as that type of thing tends to strain out a lot of the bad element.

I would like to see a little more trail work to establish a preferred trail to reach the slot and eliminate the remaining social trails, but as a whole whomever is managing the slot is doing a good job IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    If by heavy impact you mean more visitors I agree. But the place is actually in much better condition now then it was when I first visited 10 years ago. There has been a lot of trail work in recent years that has eliminate many of the braided social trails.

When I first visited you could drive to the underground water tank. The place was a party area for local youth and was covered with lots of garbage. The place also had a lot more social trails.

Closing the road to vehicles and requiring visitor to hike the road seems to have really cleaned things up. I call it a riff-raff barrier as that type of thing tends to strain out a lot of the bad element.

I would like to see a little more trail work to establish a preferred trail to reach the slot and eliminate the remaining social trails, but as a whole whomever is managing the slot is doing a good job IMHO.
    There's some hard terrain to do trailwork in, up there.

T