Thread: Echo Canyon. 7/31/11

Echo Canyon. 7/31/11

5 of us made our first trip through echo this weekend. We all had a great time. Started up the switchbacks around 730 to beat the heat. We were a little concerned about the rain, but once we reached the canyon the weather looked like it was going to hold out so we dropped in. The water wasn't nearly as dirty as previous reports have made it out to be. It was still pretty cold. You could see your breath while in the pools and the cameras kept fogging up. We all made it through with no problems and ended up with some really good lighting for pics because of the overcast skies. Definitely glad we all took wetsuits as all rappels are into water. Made it back to the shuttle around 12 and then it was pouring rain before we got back to the truck. Perfect timing and perfect trip through

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    5 of us made our first trip through echo this weekend. We all had a great time. Started up the switchbacks around 730 to beat the heat. We were a little concerned about the rain, but once we reached the canyon the weather looked like it was going to hold out so we dropped in. The water wasn't nearly as dirty as previous reports have made it out to be. It was still pretty cold. You could see your breath while in the pools and the cameras kept fogging up. We all made it through with no problems and ended up with some really good lighting for pics because of the overcast skies. Definitely glad we all took wetsuits as all rappels are into water. Made it back to the shuttle around 12 and then it was pouring rain before we got back to the truck. Perfect timing and perfect trip through
    Awesome, thanks for the trip report.

just as a side note, rappel has two p's in it. The word with one p, if it means anything, it means something quite bad.

t

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    just as a side note, rappel has two p's in it. The word with one p, if it means anything, it means something quite bad.

t

I've been meaning to get down echo, sounds like I need to quit dragging my feet.

Thanks for the report.

If i recall last time i did echo i used a 20ft stick of webbing and hand lined everything, i never once put on my harness. does this sound about right, not sure if it was just because the water was high.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

you could hand line them, but not with only 20'. maybe 40' so you could pull it again. not nearly as safe as a harness though so unless speed is more enjoyable than just having fun then it could be done.

Awesome, thanks for the trip report.

t
    fixed it just for you. at least i'm not the only one who misses capitals.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    fixed it just for you. at least i'm not the only one who misses capitals.
    why - thank you. rarely does my annoyance result in actual action, however cyberkinetic.

T

why - thank you. rarely does my annoyance result in actual action, however cyberkinetic.

T

annoy me enough and you may have to redeem yourself by leading us through imlay