Thread: 180 Deg. South in context to Canyoning

180 Deg. South in context to Canyoning

I've followed lots of threads on this Canyoneering Forum. What happened to adventure? As Yvonne states to Doug during the documentary "180 Deg. South"; Climbing Everest is the ultimate and opposite. You get a bunch of these high powered plastic surgeons and lawyers, and they pay $80,000 to get sherpas to haul their gear, set up ladders, and fix 8000' of fixed rope, and a chocolate mint on their sleeping bag at night, and anyone can do it. They're assholes when they start and assholes in the end. Climbing is about a spiritual and physical gain.

What happened to the adventure canyoning? We now have beta and gear matched to each and every canyon? Is adventure and the desire for spiritual gain left to those in the forefront? Improvisation.......whats that? Creativity?.....Oh yeah, only a select few can be placed on the pedastal.

Yes, when we desire to chase a new pursuit, it makes sense to study until we're phd's so that we minimize risk. Isn't that why we like this sport? Risk= endorfins=satisfaction? I prefer to be a "dirtbag".

Curious.......your thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I LOVE this movie!!! I've watched it four times in the last two months. I want to be a "canyoneering dirtbag"!
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell them, Bo.

Hey everyone. All the best stuff has been found, so just do those a bunch of times. Nothing better out there. We keep looking for better stuff, but we never find it.

We'll keep on looking, so y'all don't have to.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    As Yvon states to Doug during the documentary "180 Deg. South"; Climbing Everest is the ultimate and opposite. You get a bunch of these high powered plastic surgeons and lawyers, and they pay $80,000 to get sherpas to haul their gear, set up ladders, and fix 8000' of fixed rope, and a chocolate mint on their sleeping bag at night, and anyone can do it. They're assholes when they start and assholes in the end. Climbing is about a spiritual and physical gain.
    My two favorite Yvon quotes:

Most of the 10 essentials can be left at home.

It's not an adventure until something goes wrong.

T

Risk and adventure are not the same thing, neither are they contradictory forces. I'm all for maximizing adventure and minimizing risks. As for new stuff versus old stuff, any canyon I've yet to descend is new to me (even if it's old to the community) and totally worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't tell them, Bo.

Hey everyone. All the best stuff has been found, so just do those a bunch of times. Nothing better out there. We keep looking for better stuff, but we never find it.

We'll keep on looking, so y'all don't have to.

Tom
    Just keep throwing a kernel of corn to us chickens sitting at a desk most days....
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Risk and adventure are not the same thing, neither are they contradictory forces. I'm all for maximizing adventure and minimizing risks. As for new stuff versus old stuff, any canyon I've yet to descend is new to me (even if it's old to the community) and totally worth trying.
    Agreed. There are first descents and there are my first descents. I have said it before on this forum, if I lived at the time of Columbus, I would want to be the second boat over.
    Life is Good

What happened to the adventure canyoning? We now have beta and gear matched to each and every canyon? Is adventure and the desire for spiritual gain left to those in the forefront? Improvisation.......whats that? Creativity?.....Oh yeah, only a select few can be placed on the pedastal.

My priorities in life have changed.... wife, kids, dog, mortgage, collage tuition, work..... And while I found chasing adrenaline sports to be a big rush in my youth where a mistake could mean my death.... I've discovered in old age that owning and running a company that deals in million dollar contracts, where an engineering error could prove disastrous on an national scale and where dozens or perhaps hundreds of people will be out of work if I screw up to be just as exciting if not more.....

Bottom line.... Descending an unknown slot is a lot of fun... but it pales in comparison to the excitement and thrill I get from running an engineering company.... I love my job!

YMMV....

Did I mention last month that we designed a system to destory mortor shells filled with nerve gas.... anyone around here want to stand next to the cooker and flip the switch for the first time to see if my math was correct?!?

Name:  Module..JPG
Views: 422
Size:  115.8 KB

I'm still young, strong, and without crazy responsibilities/priorities... sign me up for said crazy adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Did I mention last month that we designed a system to destory mortor shells filled with nerve gas.... anyone around here want to stand next to the cooker and flip the switch for the first time to see if my math was correct?!?
    hope it is better than your spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    hope it is better than your spelling...
    Its not my spelling so much as my typing that sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    YMMV....
    Let me know if anyone volunteers! I wanna be a long ways upwind

Yeah....priorities do change don't they?! I'm headed up to SLC in 4 hours to spend time with my daughter, new grandaughter, and of course look at the new stuff being previewed at OR so ADRENALINE JUNKIES can "Do It" in comfort!

Doing "new" stuff is fun. But, so is doing "classic" stuff. A great powder run. A classic easy rock climb. And, a classic canyon.

Exploration isn't always external...

As the boaters say, "its the doing of the thing" (or some such).

Hopefully see you at the show, Bo. Beer-thirty!

Let me know if anyone volunteers! I wanna be a long ways upwind

Yeah....priorities do change don't they?! I'm headed up to SLC in 4 hours to spend time with my daughter, new grandaughter, and of course look at the new stuff being previewed at OR so ADRENALINE JUNKIES can "Do It" in comfort!
    Agree with Bo here. Doing it in comfort is a really good thing. I like the new high-tech stuff. I wouldn't go back to my lousy orange external frame scout back pack if you paid me. I am looking forward to my new pack if I can ever get out to use it. I appreciate my 5.10's, I love Imlay gear, skinny ropes rule, baby!
    Life is Good