Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Figure 8 block with lower

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    If you have a tether on your harness, it may help the release at times, also reduces friction in the system for lowering "light" people.

No time to explain now, if you've used an 8 releasable/contingency you already know what I'm talking about, if not, I'll explain later today.

Off into Mystery...........

2. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I almost always use use the figure 8 block with a totem. I've only had to actually use it once or twice, and it worked great. It's easy and fast, and safe as long as you attach to the correct side of the rope. I always keep one half of the rope up on top so that no-one can get confused and rapell on the wrong strand. Plus it makes it easy to set the rope just above the water on swiming disconects so that people can rappell right off the end and dont have to fumble around while trying to tread water...

I carry a spare figure eight for watery canyons just for the purpose of a contingency anchor. So fast.

If anyone has Stefan Hofmann's current method in a photo or picture, please post!

http://www.startnext.de/lehrbuch-canyoning

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    If anyone has Stefan Hofmann's current method in a photo or picture, please post!
    It would be great to see the ACA vs. CIC standard for this.

I love the figure 8 block... I typically use either the biner or figure 8 block unless the condition calls for other rigging method... but when there's a need for a releasable system or when descending Class C canyons, it's pretty much the figure 8, easy to rack on your harness and rigs just as fast as the biner... I typically don't back it up with the carabiner unless someone in the group is uncomfortable not backing it up, I'll typically put two twists in the bight before pulling it over the neck to get the pinch and snug it tight... never had an issues with the rig coming loose; less parts and pieces to pull and possibly snag on things, although, if for some reason you need to break it apart to lower or transition, it could be a bit of a chore, but, there are easy ways to loosen the pinch...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Stefan actually showed me a video of his method for his upcoming book and video set. Very cool guy!

He's actually doing something interesting to fund the first release in German and the subsequent releases in English / French. It's called "crowdfunding". Basically, canyoneers anywhere can help fund the project via http://www.startnext.de/en/lehrbuch-canyoning.

His method is nearly identical to the one on the CanyonQuest site: http://canyonquest.com/~steve/cerber..._release8.html

His implementation looks much cleaner - that said, it's the exact same releasable 8 setup as far as wraps and twists of the rope go. The only difference I could see (after agonizing over the videos / photos) is that he uses a canyon quickdraw (with locking carabiners) as a safety rather than a regular quickdraw. He hangs a Tibloc on the bottom quickdraw carabiner in case a conversion to a raise is needed at some point. Hope that helps.

He did mention that his team is experimenting with an alternative releasable eight that may be published if it turns out to be viable.

So, in conversing with him, I realized my previous post was incorrect and I need to go back and correct the photos. I see now that the post/photo that started this entire thread is not the same as the CanyonQuest / Hofmann method or whatever it should be called. It is very very close except for the direction of the final turn, which makes it harder to release than the method I described above. I have tested it and confirmed.

Cheers,

.Miles

Here is a nice video of a Contingency 8.

10. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Here's a look at a few more variations and some of their pluses and minuses:
    http://ropewiki.com/index.php/Figure_8_block

Every time I read the posts on this site I start to think I shouldn't even be allowed in canyons anymore. Not only have I never seen this, I just send everyone down with a jumar/quickdraw clipped on their belt and tell them to use it to pull up off the figure 8 and clip off should they get in trouble. Or I have one I could lower with everyone knowing how to use it. But I've only had one problem ever and that was easily corrected so maybe that is why I THINK I am OK with this.

Sheesh i need to hit the books.

99% of the time I just toss my ropes and go. But the stuff is good to know when you need it.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I love the 8 block and use it when ever I can. i fell like its harder to screw up then a munter-mule, faster to set up, easy to teach, and really nice to use if you werent sure if the rope that you can't see over the edge is actually touching. my fam owns property on the ponderosa, I love doing Jolly Gulch and my rope will barely touch both ends, quite often i will have to lower people 10' (why always 10' I'm not sure) but the 8 is my go to block to lower them the rest of the way . but the munter mule is always good to know for those situations you prepared for... or should have prepared for.

Saw this video featured at the end of the one Iceaxe posted. Is this the correct way to rig the Munter for contingency/lower?

16. Likes ratagonia, Brian in SLC liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Is this the correct way to rig the Munter for contingency/lower?
    That will work

Where he ties the overhand backup I've seen some guys clip a biner through the loop in the mule to act as a safety.

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post