Thread: Lake Blanch- Mill B South Fork- Big Cottonwood Canyon- July 29th, 2011

Lake Blanch- Mill B South Fork- Big Cottonwood Canyon- July 29th, 2011

Sometimes you just have it so good, that when you travel to other areas, you realize that what you are looking for is right in your backyard. I decided that I wanted to get up to Lake Blanch this day, as the weather for the weekend was forecasting severe thunderstorms all weekend. This was going to be the one day that was good to go, so I hit it. The hike up was spectacular, and for how popular this trail is, it was a ghost town on this day. The views just kept getting better, and as I was traveling alone, as I do quite a bit here in the Wasatch, the photography that I was getting was unreal, and I was able to really play with my camera, being alone brings that kind of focus. After a little under 2 hours I ended up standing on the shore of Lake Blanch. If you have never been here, you really need to make it a destination on your list. I have been here so many times, and every time I go there, it still blows my mind. I decided after some pics and drying out from the hot hike up, that fishing was in order. Second cast and I had one on. It was like shooting fish in a crap barrel. They were so active is was crazy. I spent like 2 1/2 hours fishing and they were still hitting my fly like they could not get enough of it. I caught a total of 10 fish on the same fly. The biggest I got a photo of, and I have to say, this was the best day of fishing this season by far. About 2:30 I noticed some towering clouds start to build over the ridge tops and decided that it was time to head down. the hike out was amazing. The light filtering from the clouds was awesome. Made it down in about an hour and change. This day totally reminds me that I love exploring new areas, but that sometimes I forget that some of the most beautiful wilderness, and great fishing is right here in my backyard. I love the Wasatch, got some more places to visit here before the snow flies again!
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics. I need to get up there this year.

Thanks! Yeah, that is what I have been saying for the last two weeks. I am so glad I went, beautiful this year up there. And bonus, best fishing of the season I've had for sure.

Sweet report and photos.

Thanks! I linked this Trip Report to a couple of groups on the web. Can't wait to hit a few more favorites this summer before the snow comes back.

Nice trip report. I'm going there tomorrow and now I guess I will be taking my fishing pole along.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Nice trip report. I'm going there tomorrow and now I guess I will be taking my fishing pole along.
    Nice! Good choice, weekdays are the best up there. I would keep an eye to the sky in the afternoon, thunderstorms are in the forecast. I would hit it early, cooler temps on the way up. I am gonna try to hit Catherine Pass to Lake Catherine to hit those brookies in the AM tomorrow. Hopefully they are going off like they were at Blanch.

I was using an Elk Hair Caddis, and a Renegade. Fly and a bubble on a spin rod. I was nailing them on the drop. Best fishing I have had all year. Have fun, be safe!

Made the trip today and got to to the lake at 9:15. I tried my hand at fishing but I didn't have my bobber so I was just using spinners with no luck. The morning was nice cool and the walk out around noon wasn't bad. Hope to go back soon and try the flies and bobber.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    Made the trip today and got to to the lake at 9:15. I tried my hand at fishing but I didn't have my bobber so I was just using spinners with no luck. The morning was nice cool and the walk out around noon wasn't bad. Hope to go back soon and try the flies and bobber.
    Nice! I wish I could have gotten out today, but Outdoor Retailer is keeping really busy this week.

Yeah, the only spinner up there I have ever had luck with was a Panther Martin Beetle. Sort of a lady bug pattern. Since I changed a few years ago to fly's with a very small bubble and a point shot, the fishing is far more exciting for me. The biggest fish I have caught in the Wasatch was caught on a fly fishermans spinner at Red Pine. Best of both worlds on that one.

Thanks for the tips, I will have to give it a try.

Sweet! I was up there the day after you were. It was my first time. Such a beautiful lake! The weather sucked on the way up and again going down, but fortunately it cleared up long enough for me to get some nice shots of the lakes.