Thread: Narrows Top Down?

Narrows Top Down?

Thinking of doing the Narrows from Chamberlain down to the Temple in the coming weeks. Those of you that I have done it did you do it as a big day hike or did you break it up and camp over night? And if you did it in a day how long did it take you?
    Ive done 16 miles in a day before, but never in a river.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My group did it in a day, we left Chamberlain Ranch at roughly 10:30 AM and got to the veranda at about 6:00 PM. Fantastic day, but beware of the weather. We had a cloudless sky and 10% forecast, but somewhere a bit over halfway through it clouded up & started raining on us, and a relaxing hike became stressful, plus photos stopped. Not much in the way of breaks or time to enjoy the amazing surroundings for the last 3 hours as we second-guessed continuing to the bottom vs bivying in the suddenly dark & chilly canyon. I have no doubt that we would have taken at least one, if not two hours more for enjoying the stunning route had the weather stayed pleasant. It's a long and physical day for sure, the 16 miles feels more like 32 due to the slow nature of walking on out of sight slippery rocks for endless-seeming stretches plus the back-and-forth across the river path that one takes. Still amazing & high on my list for a repeat, enjoy!

Are you a slow and heavy (pack) hiker or a fast and light? Taking overnight gear, cooking gear...etc. is fine for some but I am a fast and light (OK, quick-ish and not as heavy) kinda guy. If I were to do it I would go fast and light. Some really enjoy spending the night in the Narrows, I can understand that but the extra weight would not be worth it to me for a couple of reasons. Heavy packs throw your balance off, at least till you get used to it on slippery rocks, and I would be more fatigued after two days in the Narrows fighting a heavy pack than one fast day. Just my 2 cents.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Are you a slow and heavy (pack) hiker or a fast and light? Taking overnight gear, cooking gear...etc. is fine for some but I am a fast and light (OK, quick-ish and not as heavy) kinda guy. If I were to do it I would go fast and light. Some really enjoy spending the night in the Narrows, I can understand that but the extra weight would not be worth it to me for a couple of reasons. Heavy packs throw your balance off, at least till you get used to it on slippery rocks, and I would be more fatigued after two days in the Narrows fighting a heavy pack than one fast day. Just my 2 cents.
    ^This

If I did it as a day hike I would take my camelbak with a few liters of water, my MSR filter pump, some food, and maybe an extra layer. So I would fall into the fast and light category, probably. When I went to the narrows before (up to Wall Street/Orderville area from the bottom), I had a small day pack and didnt have much trouble. But I would imagine stumbling with an over night pack would be a nightmare.

I totally agree with Scott & with your take on it. When it comes down to it, for me the challenge on that hike is dealing with walking/slipping/stumbling on those rocks, and lighter was soooo much nicer when doing it. Like anything, the earlier the start the better. The drive to the ranch takes quite a while in good conditions depending on where you begin from. I think it's also great that you've done a few miles in the Narrows, when I did it it was my first canyon ever, and it took quite a while for me
    to get used to the challenge.

I will probably be using ZAC shuttle and would take the later one arriving at 11am.
    I would love to take the 630a departure(arriving around 8a) but I need to go stand in line at the permit desk in the morning to attempt to get a Mystery Permit for the following day since I didnt do the lottery.

Oh man, the permit system causing headaches, that's really too bad that you're stuck like that...perhaps the local expert on the permit system, Scott, has an insight

One other thought which you may have already had: footwear. Think about it. I used old running shoes since they breathed well, were OK to abuse, and were free...but boy, when I've hiked stretches of the Narrows since then coming out of various tech canyons in Canyoneers it's been better. Ankle support is good.

Priorities. Depends on your confidence in speed. Starting late can put you into any later afternoon weather. If the Narrows is your big objective, I would argue for the earlier shuttle and consider doing another canyon like Fat Man's Misery, which does not require a permit. Wouldn't be a bummer to wait in line, not get a Mystery permit and not finish the narrows until after dark? Just saying.

Ken

I thought The Narrows were great as an overnighter, going to do it again this fall. Just don't pack like a typical overnighter, pack as light as possible and use a small pack. I agree that the 16 miles feels more like 32. All the more reason to stop and sleep before heading into the best of it at the bottom of the canyon.

Valid point on the permit system. Yea it would suck to miss both. Ive done Mystery before, but hoped to get in a trip this year. But never done top down narrows. So would put that priority first.

I have a pair of hiking boots im going to wear. They are my typical canyon shoes. I would love to have canyoneers, but I have tried several different sizes and havent found one that fits. One size is too short, but the perfect width. The next size up was perfect length but too wide :-(. I was thoroughly bummed because I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Cop View Post
    perhaps the local expert on the permit system, Scott, has an insight
    Who me? Why would you think of me? Why I love and approve of the permit system.
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarmotOnARock View Post
    Valid point on the permit system. Yea it would suck to miss both. Ive done Mystery before, but hoped to get in a trip this year. But never done top down narrows. So would put that priority first.

I have a pair of hiking boots im going to wear. They are my typical canyon shoes. I would love to have canyoneers, but I have tried several different sizes and havent found one that fits. One size is too short, but the perfect width. The next size up was perfect length but too wide :-(. I was thoroughly bummed because I have heard nothing but good things about them.
    Fit for plenty of length. Fill with socks. Expect a sloppy/comfortable fit.

Works for me, but I have wide feet.

T

if doing it in a day we generally drive up the night before and sleep in the trucks and/or tents and get started around 5am. this gives plenty of time to not rush it and be able to swim around in the pools. we got a late start once and it got dark about orderville. the going is very slow with flashlights in the narrows and we didn't end up getting out until 1145 that night. no shuttles then so we slept on the benches until the ranger showed up patrolling and gave us a ride down. i like the day hike better becasue the large packs cause havoc on your feet and ankles with all the wet round rocks

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    if doing it in a day we generally drive up the night before and sleep in the trucks and/or tents and get started around 5am. this gives plenty of time to not rush it and be able to swim around in the pools. we got a late start once and it got dark about orderville. the going is very slow with flashlights in the narrows and we didn't end up getting out until 1145 that night. no shuttles then so we slept on the benches until the ranger showed up patrolling and gave us a ride down. i like the day hike better becasue the large packs cause havoc on your feet and ankles with all the wet round rocks
    Also, this time of year, the upper half is a lot more pleasant before noon, in the shade, with pleasant temps. Late start...

Well, most of those epic stores begin with - "Unfortunately, we got a late start, and..."

T

In summer (weather permitting), the overnight trip is far superior to the day hiking option (regardless of hiking speed). Camping in the Narrows is far superior to car camping anywhere near Zion. If you go overnight you can also explore lower Kolob and Goose.

A summer overnight trip through the Narrows does not require a heavy pack. In summer you only need some food, a small water bottle and a filter, a very light sleeping bag or even just a sleeping bag liner, a small pad (such as a short thermarest) and tp/bags. That's it. Last time my wife and I did the Narrows overnight I carried one small daypack and she carried nothing. I carried 6 lbs for two people (though we shared a 1 lb sleeping bag-if it was with someone else I'd bring my own). The extra weight carried for an overnight trip in summer is very small.

It's certainly worth doing it as an overnighter.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Cop View Post
    My group did it in a day, we left Chamberlain Ranch at roughly 10:30 AM and got to the veranda at about 6:00 PM. Fantastic day, but beware of the weather. We had a cloudless sky and 10% forecast, but somewhere a bit over halfway through it clouded up & started raining on us, and a relaxing hike became stressful, plus photos stopped. Not much in the way of breaks or time to enjoy the amazing surroundings for the last 3 hours as we second-guessed continuing to the bottom vs bivying in the suddenly dark & chilly canyon. I have no doubt that we would have taken at least one, if not two hours more for enjoying the stunning route had the weather stayed pleasant. It's a long and physical day for sure, the 16 miles feels more like 32 due to the slow nature of walking on out of sight slippery rocks for endless-seeming stretches plus the back-and-forth across the river path that one takes. Still amazing & high on my list for a repeat, enjoy!
    And I "ran" it a few weeks ago, and took 39 minutes longer - go figure! Some people's amble is other people's "run".

T

Tom, that's funny, while I consider myself to be in decent shape, our circumstances pushed us more than any ability to "amble" quickly; I was cold and scared and unprepared. We likely had less water flow than you (~July 5th, 2006) and the tremendous motivator of being rained upon...after the gut check regarding do we bivy or do we go, I basically jogged & ran the last several miles...it kept me warm and gave me an excellent lesson in the implications of not preparing properly for possible changing circumstances. I had a thin tech tee and gym shorts, and zero other clothes, so once we decided we were going to keep moving, hypothermia plus fear of having made the wrong choice/guess regarding a possible flash inspired me to far greater speeds than any normal efforts would have.

Cheers & a fine job on your outing!

Wayne